Clarity PHEV Windshield Replacement -- Lessons Learned

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Texas22Step, Jul 13, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Sandroad

Sandroad Well-Known Member

The glass was overnight delivery from a central Honda warehouse in Michigan. So, apparently stocked regionally. And yes, Century Glass, the company the dealer uses, is going to the dealer for the installation (probably tomorrow).

2002 likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. ab13

ab13 Active Member

I was waiting at a Safelite location for an appointment. Saw a Clarity in the lot, but it was facing away, so I couldn't see the windshield. I did see a local Honda dealer delivery van and they dropped off a large box with the outline of a windshield. Not sure if it was for the Clarity, but Safelite was using OEM glass for that vehicle.

4. Sandroad

Our insurance confirmed that OEM glass is all that’s available for the Clarity.

craze1cars likes this.
  5. Texas22Step

Texas22Step Well-Known Member

I don't know about traffic-camera adhesives, but the local toll road authority just required me to change out the windshield-mounted toll tag device that was mounted on the windshield near the rear-view mirror (where the dots are) using hook & loop strips with a very sticky adhesive. I had to use a single-edge razor blade to get the old one off and had the same worry that the dots would be removed too. But, no problem. Dots ok, at least under this particular sticky adhesive when removed.

6. Sandroad

I didn’t get a piece of the windshield, but when I had my razor blade out scraping off the parking sticker for reuse, I tried it on the dotted area. The dots appear to be in a film applied to the windshield, so I’ll guess the film would come off or be damaged when removing any adhesive applied over them.

Anyway, new glass is in today. I had not realized how dirty/hazy the old glass was!

insightman likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Sandroad

One more note......when my wife picked up the car at the dealership, the service advisor had taken it for a test drive to confirm calibration of the driver assist features with the new windshield. He commented that it was the first Clarity he had driven and said it was a REALLY NICE car. (his emphasis). I've had a Pilot, 2 Civics, an Accord, and a CR-V serviced there and never had a comment like that.

9. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

No surprise. Those cars and light trucks weren't as nice as a Clarity. I've never been in an Acura, but wonder if they could be any better than my Clarity (other than having more electronic features).

10. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

My son had an Acura and I did not find the ride any different than an Accord. The inside was tricked out a little nicer though and it had a few extra features. I find my Clarity to be the best car I’ve ever owned when summing up and averaging all it’s attributes.

Texas22Step, MPower and insightman like this.
  11. Electra

Electra Active Member

It's not dependant on the state. It's the insurance company that has glass coverage option. I also live in TX and have Traveler's. They have a $50 deductible glass coverage. They are a little more expensive but they also have new car replacement coverage.

Texas22Step and craze1cars like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. craze1cars

craze1cars Well-Known Member

Indeed. A few states stupidly (I am a big free market proponent) mandate the coverage for everyone. But most make it optional, as where I live in indiana, and certainly Texas also. But it is true not all insurance companies offer it. Many do, and mine recently started offering it maybe 18 months ago. I just looked back at my bills....Previously I had $1000 deducted comp insurance. Then I changed it to $1000 comp insurance with $0 deductible glass insurance. My comp rate went up $28/year. In my opinion worth the add-on given the high price of modern glass and the huge amount of interstate driving I do raising my risk of chips and cracks.

Those who don’t think it’s worth the extra $28/year don’t have to buy the coverage and can just keep the regular comp coverage.

And those who have insurance companies that don’t offer this type of coverage can simply shop other insurance companies that do, and change companies.

Some buy the cheapest insurance they can find. Some buy the best they can afford. This is good to have such options. So what’s best for you. Just understand the cheapest sometimes comes at a cost come claim time. Pay now or pay later, whatever each person thinks is best.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
    Texas22Step and Electra like this.
  14. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

FWIW, Kentucky mandates $0 deductible windshield replacement statewide with no choice. Don’t know which lobby group got that pushed through, but it probably required a respectable amount of contributions to reelection committees.