Plug-in charging system problem

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Eva Farkas, Mar 5, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Geor99

Geor99 Active Member

"Locate vehicle" always updates my honda app charging status to the current time, whereas often refreshing and/or closing then reopening the app only gives me data from the past- up to 40 minutes in the past.

Perhaps "locate vehicle" is the kick in the butt needed to wake up your Honda app to initiate charging:)

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. lanb

lanb Active Member

Yes locate vehicle does give me the exact charge % while the refresh only gives it in 15% increments.
    I believe this is the intended behavior of the app.

I am curious about the "locate vehicle" being able to charge during these bouts of charging system failure (most likely due to power fluctuations in the charging station). I am interested to see if others can get this to work as well, but to be honest, I am leaning towards it being coincidental.

4. Geor99

Geor99 Active Member

As if someone is playing a game with me, the day after this message, my car stopped charging. I do have a new theory.

Normally, I charge in the late afternoon as I work late. This is after every one else charges. Today I plugged in in the morning, and it stopped at 80%.

Could the dual charger give us issues when the other charger stops or starts? I had my coworker look at the time that he finished charging. It was within 3 minutes when mine stopped at only 80%.

5. lanb

lanb Active Member

I think it is mainly related to the voltage/power fluctuations from the EVSE. I have the exact opposite scenario - it fails to charge when there are very few cars charging from the same bank of EVSE's. See my post above.

Can you try the "locate vehicle" from Hondalink app and see if it resumes charging ?

6. Geor99

Geor99 Active Member

It resumed without needing to do that. I just clicked start charging.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Jeremyp

Jeremyp New Member

Thank-you all for the valuable information in this forum. I too am a Honda Clarity owner in Canada; I love the car but have been burdened with L2 charging problems on and off. I engaged my dealer last year and had to make them aware of the problem. I gave them the 18-097 campaign number from the US. They contacted Honda Canada and confirmed the problem has been reported but they were still working on a fix. Have any other Canadian Clarity owners received a fix to the level 2 charging problem and if so can you provide me the campaign number.

9. Hgear

Hgear New Member

It happened to me couple days ago. After Power System light is on, it won't take any charging on L2. I followed instruction on this thread by unplugging negative terminal from the battery that got rid of Power System error.
    Called the dealer but fix is not yet available in
    Canada. Wondering why taken that long!

10. Rajiv Vaidyanathan

Rajiv Vaidyanathan Active Member

That is bizarre. Why wouldn't the same fix work for the Canadian cars. Surely the software and charging system is not that different? I had so may L2 problems a year ago that all but disappeared after the fix. The good news is that the fix works fine.

11. MPower

MPower Well-Known Member

I wonder if the difference created by the battery heater requires a different software fix.

Rangavasu and 2002 like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. 2002

2002 Well-Known Member

Probably not a different fix but likely a different software package. If so for whatever reason they haven't gotten around to it yet, maybe because of the smaller number of Clarity sold in Canada thus less complaints about the issue.

14. Andy Lo

Andy Lo New Member

I am on the same boat. It happened when I was charging my 2018 Clarity Canadian model using a public L2 charger. There are a series of 4 chargers and strangely, 3 out 4 would cause this charging problem. I have had 3-4 times of the issue from different chargers at different places. Every time after a trip the message cleared on its own. I could even charge the car up using the L1 cable that came with the vehicle right after I received the message. Sadly as the end of 2020 is approaching, Honda still doesn't have a solution for the problem. Wondering if they are actually working on the issue.

Attached Files: