Clarity PHEV Windshield Replacement -- Lessons Learned

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Texas22Step, Jul 13, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Texas22Step

Texas22Step Well-Known Member

I am posting my somewhat difficult very recent experience with a windshield crack and replacement so that others reading the forum might avoid some of my mistakes and possibly benefit from some of the lessons I learned during this whole thing.

I apologize in advance for the length of this post, but a new Clarity windshield turned out to be a long (and expensive) story.

First, I am the 13-month owner of a 2018 Clarity PHEV (touring trim) with approximately 9K miles on the odo. BTW, a great car, IMHO!

In late June, I drove my wife in our Clarity some 300 miles (one-way) from our home in North Texas to Houston for her appointment there, taking the direct route down IH-45. As usual, the Clarity performed flawlessly. But, when we passed through downtown Houston, still on IH-45, I heard a rather loud "snap" and suddenly had about a 5" crack appear in the windshield from the left side toward the driver, just approaching the driver's usual field of view.

Since there was nothing else to do and since we were within 10 miles of our destination anyway, I continued to drive until we reached our hotel. By this time, the crack had reached maybe 8" or so and was clearly "growing" by the minute.

Long story short: by the time we got back home in a couple of days, the crack had extended further, curving up and down, until it was long enough to really impede the driver's view. I also knew that, with the cracked windshield, I would never be able to successfully get a vehicle safety inspection, which is a necessary precursor in this state to getting the annual registration renewal.

Anyhow, time for a new windshield, thanks to whatever road dung hit the windshield in downtown Houston.

Some three weeks later, a new windshield was installed at our local dealer's service department. Along the way, I had to deal with my insurance company, the local dealer service guy, the local dealer parts department and several other parts departments, salvage yards and etc.

Here is what I learned:
    1. First, take the car to a dealer to see if they will classify the problem as a "spontaneous" event covered under the new car warranty. They will inspect the glass to look for an impact point of road debris. In my case, they found a small, but definite impact point. No warranty coverage for me.
    2. Next, read the D80 extended warranty coverage (if you bought that) for anything resembling glass coverage. Nope. Specifically excluded.
    3. Check your auto insurance for glass coverage. Sadly, in my state there is no "special" glass coverage, so it is treated as just another "comprehensive" claim, subject to the usually pretty big deductibles in order to keep the overall policy premiums down. My comprehensive deductible was $1,000. Ugh.
    4. I investigated the cost of replacement of the windshield, forgetting for the minute the issue of whether one can find a replacement piece of windshield glass for a Clarity. The quote for the glass ALONE from the dealer's parts department was nearly $1,600, and the windshields were said to be "NBO" with no date ("National Back Order" -- order now and you may get it someday).
    5. With the total cost of the windshield replacement now estimated to exceed $2,200 (with labor, seals, re-calibrating the windshield-mounted camera, etc.) and (at best) uncertain parts availability, I filed a comprehensive claim with my auto insurance company. They readily paid the claim within 4 days, but I ignored their "recommendation" of several local body shops (that only work on bent metal or busted plastic, not cracked windshields).
    6. So, unless you want to pay a couple thousand bucks just for a replacement windshield, make sure your auto policy either has glass coverage with a low or no deductible OR look at your "comprehensive" coverage deductible to see if you are comfortable with that amount. (I changed my comprehensive deductible, after-the-fact, to $250 for a modest premium increase. But, too little, too late for this incident.)
    There is no third party Clarity glass to be had, even from Safelight, so OEM glass is your only choice. I went online to try to find some dealer somewhere that had a Clarity windshield in stock and would ship it to me in North Texas. (BTW, the Honda part # of the windshield glass is 73111-TRV-A01.)

I did a pretty extensive online search, sometimes supplemented with emails to potential suppliers. I found offered online prices (for the glass alone, no shipping) ranging from $984 to $1,500. Several, citing the NBO, said they just didn't have the glass, and a few said even if they had it they wouldn't ship it anyway, fearing breakage.

Remembering I had read on this forum about some Clarity parts being listed on eBay by salvage yards, I sent emails to those folks. I found one with a salvaged (unbroken?) windshield glass, but they wanted $350 just for shipping it. Since it wasn't new anyway, I had no idea what I would be buying, but at least they are out there at some price.

But, eureka! I finally found an in-stock, new, OEM Clarity windshield at a Honda dealer in (you guessed it!) Houston, and they were willing ship it to me by truck for just under $200. It arrived in just two days and was installed yesterday by Safelight at the local Honda dealership, and then the windshield-mounted camera was re-calibrated by the Honda techs.

Of course, the SOC of my Clarity's battery (which was about 95% when I took the car to the dealer) was 0% when I picked the car up. The last lesson of this story is to use the HondaLink app to check SOC of the traction battery remotely before picking the car up & paying the bill, and if necessary insist that the dealer restore the charge to at least where he found it. I have no idea how they managed to consume an entire traction battery charge. Whatever. My bad, once again.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. MajorAward

MajorAward Active Member

Thanks Texas22Step. Good to know this post is here for future reference.

Texas22Step likes this.
  4. fotomoto

fotomoto Active Member

Texas22Step likes this.
  5. Mowcowbell

Mowcowbell Well-Known Member

Sounds like a good idea to keep comprehensive deductibles lower. I have mine set at $100 due to hail storms that can be frequent in Okla.

The Clarity is not the only vehicle with expensive windshields. My Subaru Outback had the rear view mirror break off and take a chunk of glass with it. Subaru refused to cover that as a warranty item, and even the special glass coverage I took out didn't cover it as it wasn't caused by an external impact. Cost me $1000 to replace the glass.

That was the first and last time I'll ever take any dealer extended warranties.

Texas22Step likes this.
  6. petteyg359

petteyg359 Well-Known Member

I spent extra on a specific windshield warranty when I got mine. IIUC, they'll just fill in minor pocks and cracks with some kind of glue, but otherwise it is supposed to completely cover replacing the whole thing with no deductible, as many times as necessary over the same period as the HondaCare warranty. Thinking about using it in the near future because I did get hit by a pebble or something that marked the passenger side.

Texas22Step likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Thomas Mitchell

Thomas Mitchell Active Member

Yeah, had a nightmare experience with Safelite and my Clarity. The whole “Civic” VIN is a PITA and cost me a couple additional trips, despite my protests that the car was not a Civic. Hoping it will be a long time before I need to replace the windshield again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Texas22Step likes this.
  9. MNSteve

MNSteve Well-Known Member

Thank you very much for taking the time to share this. There are many lessons here.

Texas22Step likes this.
  10. 2002

2002 Well-Known Member

Great write up! Any reason why you had Safelite install it since insurance was already covering, just felt they would likely do a better job than the dealer?

I guess in theory you could have told your local dealer that you found a windshield in Houston and let them handle everything from there. But I realize you were already knee deep in it and it was probably better to continue managing the process yourself.

If you had wound up paying out of pocket another option would be to have the windshield shipped to Safelite and have it installed there, although you would then have to take the car to the dealer for calibration. There was one forum member who Safelite told them the price included calibration, but after the windshield was installed they realized they weren't able to, so they took it to the dealer for calibration and the dealer billed Safelite.

Texas22Step likes this.
  11. Texas22Step

The local Honda dealer's service department actually farms out all its glass installs to the local Safelite company. Because they "farm out" a lot of installs, they get a preferred (lower) rate from Safelite than if I had tried to have Safelite do the install myself. And, since the Safelite installer goes to the dealership to do the work, the camera re-calibration job can be more easily accomplished by the Honda techs afterwards. Finally, the online quote I got from the Houston dealer for the new OEM windshield was less than the local dealer quoted for the glass (had they even had it), so I purchased the glass myself directly from the Houston dealer to reduce the profit layers a little, and it kept the state sales taxes on the parts a little lower too.

In addition, I used the Safelite web site to get a replacement quotation, and now they specifically state as part of the online quote that the vehicle would "most likely" have to also be taken to an OEM dealership for the re-calibration procedure at the car owner's expense. They also say on their web site that the car requires a "special" glass that "may take a few extra days" to obtain. LOL.

BTW, I did pay out-of-pocket -- the $1,000 comprehensive deductible + the cost of a 95% traction battery lost charge. But, not next time, since I (as stated) have lowered the deductible to a more palatable $250. And, if there is a next time, I will use the HondaLink app remotely before picking up the car and paying the bill to confirm the traction battery SOC is at or above the level it was when the dealer got the car for the windshield replacement.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Texas22Step

Yeah, the auto insurance adjuster assigned to my comprehensive claim told me he had some other claim once for a new windshield for a Maserati that cost over $7,000. I know he was just trying to help me feel better with my $1,000 deductible, but I bought a Honda -- not a Maserati. I had no idea that a Honda windshield replacement could possibly cost over $2,000, but they can and do!

14. 2002

2002 Well-Known Member

By out of pocket what I meant was a situation where the repair price would make a difference because you are not filing a claim. Since you were paying $1,000 deductible no matter what the repair price (unless it was under $1,000 which would be unlikely) I still don't understand how it saved you money by paying the Houston dealer for the windshield.

You mentioned bodyshops, some can install windshields but I think some of them probably farm that out also, and either way you would still need a trip to the dealer for calibration so I agree on not going to any of the "recommended" bodyshops.

I think the whole national backorder thing is a misnomer, based on how long this has been going on I suspect Honda simply isn't stocking Clarity windshields in their U.S. warehouses and each windshield order ships from Japan. Maybe even in some cases from Japan to the warehouse then the dealer.

Regarding charging the battery, I have this policy that I don't want the dealership people touching my car any more than necessary. I'm not fussy it's more of a concern for damage, if I insist on charging it then they have to go get my car and drive it yet again around the lot and then find someplace to park it near an outlet which is probably not a normal location where they park cars, and it will be sitting there charging with people walking around it all the time. That may sound paranoid well it would be if I was really worried about it, I'm just saying I prefer to not add that risk even if it's a slight one so I'll pay the $1.50 myself to recharge it.

15. craze1cars

craze1cars Well-Known Member

This reminds me of when I was shopping for my Clarity. Dealer had a red one we may have chosen to purchase. I had already been down the dance with other dealers allowing me to test drive cars with dead batteries. I asked a salesman at this dealer "can you PLEASE charge the car up before I come, so I can finally test drive a Clarity on Electricity with the engine off?" He agreed he would find a place to charge it overnight and I would arrive to test drive the next day.

Next day comes and there's a silver Clarity charged and ready for us to test drive. I inquired that I thought we were testing a red one? This car is silver? Nice salesman advises the red one is now in the body shop and cannot be test driven, because the evening before when he finally found the only place on the Honda lot with an outlet close enough to reach the car by parking it on a sidewalk, he promptly opened the drivers door directly into a pole and put a huge dent in the door!

Turns out wife wanted green anyway. So same salesman helpfully found us a green one to purchase at a later date and I'm sure they sold the body shop repaired red one to someone else...

So like you I wouldn't want dealer personnel charging my car either. It's just so easy to screw up something so simple, when they don't do it every day. I'll happily drive it home uncharged, burn a gallon of gas to get there, and pay the $1.50 myself to top off the battery when I get home...

2002 and Mowcowbell like this.
  16. Mowcowbell

Mowcowbell Well-Known Member

Regarding the battery level, I bet most (if not all) Honda dealerships do not have a Level II charging station on the premises. Me thinks they find a 120v outlet somewhere and just use the OEM charger.

I dealt with the same lack of knowledge, called ahead and told the salesman I want to drive a Clarity with a CHARGED battery. Arrive the next day and what do I see? 2 bars on the battery. Salesman says if I could wait they'll charge it for me, so I ask 'do you have a Level II charging station'? Get this perplexed look, so I walked. He probably thought he could charge it in 15 minutes or something absurd.

17. Texas22Step

It is difficult to generalize like that. My local Honda dealer actually has TWO (not just one) L2, free charging stations on its premises, with reserved parking for four EV's in front of the charging stations. But availability doesn't always equal knowledge, and this is one reason that I was so perplexed to get my Clarity (albeit now with a new windshield) back in late afternoon with a completely depleted traction battery after being delivered to them in the morning at 95% SOC. The service people didn't have any excuses about availability of a L2 charger on premises with restricted EV parking. I just expected more from them, I guess.

I took my Clarity to one of their L2 chargers, brought the traction battery up to 15% SOC and went home without using the car's ICE.

18. Sandroad

Sandroad Well-Known Member

My turn for a new windshield. I really appreciate the info on this thread. Got the dealer, a good glass place, and insurance involved. New OEM glass will be at the dealer tomorrow and glass place will go there to replace it on Wed.

Damage circumstances scary enough I filed a police report. 25 mph zone in town, no traffic in front, no construction or mowing or trees in the area, and the windshield took a terrific glancing hit from something that left a very large bullseye and very long cracks. I suspected something was shot at us, hopefully accidentally.

Texas22Step likes this.
  19. 2002

2002 Well-Known Member

Maybe Honda is finally starting to stock Clarity windshields stateside. How long ago was it ordered?

Is it Safelite that is going there to install it?

20. Ohliuw

Ohliuw Active Member

Fml, I literately just came here to post about my chip on the windshield today and saw this thread at the top

Texas22Step likes this.
  21. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

That's a real bummer--and scary, too! Very glad that you weren't injured. I hope you can still make it to the Drive Electric Week Event in Ann Arbor this Sunday (and I hope the predicted rain stays away).

If you could get a piece of the old windshield that has the dots on the inside, someone could use it to test traffic-camera adhesives to see if the dots come off when the adhesive is removed.

22. Kerbe

Kerbe Well-Known Member

I've been following this "blog" for months and, because of the windshield tale of woe, added a no-deductible windshield replacement clause to my insurance policy. During the 3-year lease of a VW Golf that preceded the Clarity I had to replace the windshield four times so I'm following Mel Brooks' advice from "The Thirteen Chairs:" 'Hope for the best, expect the worst!'

https://www.kbb.com/car-news/2019-honda-clarity-phev-ownership-review/2100006471/

23. Geor99

Geor99 Active Member

The drained battery really seems to bother you. Remember that it is around 2 bucks in power. Dont sweat the small stuff:)

I bet you that they cranked the ac during the repair.

Texas22Step likes this.