The new 10.25 inch split screen

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Murry, Jun 15, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Murry

Murry Member

Anyone already got his Kona with the 10.25 inch screen? The new Ioniq is coming up in August with it, Kia’s vehicles are already coming with it, and I feel Kona’s will start shipping with it way before the end of the year.

The new Kona Hybrid is also already shipping with it.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. EnerG

EnerG Active Member

I think we will see the 10 incher on the 2020 model. I recall reading somewhere that the 2020 version would have the larger screen and a 40A on board charger vs the 32A. As far as the split screen goes, it seems to me we already have a quasi-split screen but maybe you could elaborate on this.

Love to see some improvements to Android Auto. The UK version of the Kona has built-in WiFi, but as far as I know, no one knows why it was included. Wireless AA uses WiFi and this would be a good use for it. The Canadian version does not have the WiFi, but does have 4G so it can report back to SkyNet. Some of us (not me) signed that agreement, but that is rant for another day.

I find it odd that Hyundai would change so many things between the UK to US versions. Case in point: the charge port flap is different on the NA versions. In all fairness, the UK version was earlier, and I do think if I were Hyundai, I would trial things out in isolated markets to see what works, and what customers would be willing to pay money for. Heat pumps, folding mirrors, electric passenger seats and larger touch screens come to mind as options that customers would shell out for.

Active suspension and AWD are features we are unlikely to see before the Genesis Electrics hit the market.

ehatch likes this.
  4. Murry

Murry Member

Well, here's my thinking.

The PR for the Kona Upgrade mentioned the following:

As an available upgrade now as well, customers will be able to choose the latest satellite navigation package with new 10.25-inch AVN centre display touch-screen and wide split-screen graphic user interface (GUI).​

Considering all new Hyundai/Kia cars already include the new screen, I assume Hyundai will start putting it in 2019 Konas as they run out of stock of the older 8" screen. The new 38kWh Ioniq will start shipping in August this year and it's going to include the new screen as well.

The Hyundai Kona Hybrid is also including the new screen and is starting to ship in August. So the dashboard materials for the new screen are already being put on the assembly line - it'll be much easier for Hyundai to produce one setup of the dashboard of the premium Kona.

5. road_junky

road_junky New Member

Any information about the screen that will be in the 2020 Kona preferred ?

6. Murry

Murry Member

Anyone already got a delivery with the new 10.25 inch screen? They’ve already showed one on the Frankfurt show

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. ehatch

ehatch Active Member

Agree. N.Am.Kona EV should have: folding mirror in park, button to turn of the VESS, reverse tilt down mirror. In my opinion, we have paid for the missing features for the N.Am.equivalent Kona EV. 11KW charging is something I cannot believe the 2019 wasn't given in every market.

9. Because North American residential distribution is single phase 3 wire secondaries where in most of Europe it are three phase 4 wire secondaries.
    https://electrical-engineering-portal.com/north-american-versus-european-distribution-systems
    The 11 kW is a 3 phase only set-up
    https://insideevs.com/news/348727/hyundai-3-phase-charger-kona-europe/
    But I still want the VESS optional disconnect button.

ehatch and KonaTom like this.
  10. Murry

Murry Member

BC-Doc likes this.
  11. Adding to that the limitation of the North American adoption of 1-ph Type 1 plugs for AC charging instead of the 3-ph-capable Type 2 that the rest of us have.

An unknown is what maximum rate the 3-ph OBC will attain on only 1-ph. Could be 3.7 or 7.4, but unlikely 11 kW.

ehatch and electriceddy like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Normally 1.73 lower (11/1.73), but that would be lower than the existing 7.2 kW single phase obc rating , as you said ... remains to be observed

14. ehatch likes this.
  15. ehatch

ehatch Active Member