ACC: hands on steering wheel nag

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by ehatch, Sep 5, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. No, you are not doing any input. It's like having your hand on a computer keyboard, but not pushing letters. Same thing, how would the computer know that your hand is there if you don't push letters?

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. mikeselectricstuff

mikeselectricstuff Active Member

It's not looking for hands gripping, it's looking for slight resistamnce to its steering movements. A slight lean on the wheel keeps it happy.

Bugblndr and Esprit1st like this.
  4. I agree it could be a legal issue, any lawyers out there w/ an opinion? I think I will discuss this with my insurance company and see what they say(ICBCs opinion on this)

ehatch likes this.
  5. sosmerc

sosmerc New Member

I like the idea of being able to just turn it off as an option. But the system works well on my Volt so I leave it on all the time. (I can turn it off on the Volt).

ehatch likes this.
  6. SkookumPete

SkookumPete Well-Known Member

It’s an odd sort of in-between system that will steer the car but only if it knows you're steering as well. For me it's mostly useful for letting me turn my head to admire the scenery.

As for the button, it's a "sticky" setting unlike say heated seats. When you turn off LKA, it stays off, contrary to a previous post.

ehatch likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. KonaTom

KonaTom Well-Known Member

Right. You can place a finger on the wheel spoke and just push it down a bit every ten seconds to tell kona your hands are on wheel. Gripping it doesn’t help, only torque is detected and it doesn’t take much

ehatch and Bugblndr like this.
  9. ehatch

ehatch Active Member

Well, to help myself, I went to the dealership to double check the sensor, or motion question. The parts diagram does NOT show any sensor,so it's odd my "death grip" has enough forward/backward "movement" [think hanging on for dear life] for the LKA to return when I don't actually turn the steering wheel left/right.
    Again,my only concern post the NHTSA Tesla inquiry is for the OEM computer to be WRONG about my holding the steering wheel if I were in a collision. At fault ,or otherwise the following could really go sideways for me: insurance, police charges...

10. ehatch

ehatch Active Member

It would be good to get a legal thought. I imagine the Tesla Model S in the Culver crash will have a lawyer given the NHTSA report.I was drinking a hot chocolate,and eating a couple of apple turnovers today going at a speed that activates the LKA. I didn't have both hands off the steering wheel.No LKA "nags" since the roads forced me to steer,this time.

electriceddy likes this.
  11. The question is really, does the car actually log the hands on steering wheel. If not, it's not a concern.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

electriceddy likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. ehatch

ehatch Active Member

By the way,every OEM collects data on vehicles.I think it was @Esprit1st who asked? Per my LKA steering wheel concern.

I have forensic data on a crashed Bolt.It reveals how the car's computer[ECU],and external sensor "saw" two different speeds in an accident where the vehicle went airborne.Including a front end collision where airbags didn't go off despite meeting the speed for deployment.

electriceddy and Esprit1st like this.
  14. ehatch

ehatch Active Member

Screenshot_20190923-233451.png Screenshot_20190923-233724.png

electriceddy likes this.