Problem with leviton charger

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by victor_2019, Sep 10, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. victor_2019

victor_2019 Active Member

At work we have leviton 240v chargers.

We have the old 32 amp models with a metal box but as they break they are being replaced with new 30 amp leviton models with plastic enclosure.

I've never had issues with the old models and I believe I've even charged successfully with the new model at some point.

However lately if i plug the clarity in the new model, i hear a lot of very rapid clicking from the contractor inside the evse and then the red fault light shows up on the evse.

I thought this was a defective evse but it doesn't have a problem charging my kona, only the clarity. And the clarity has no problem charging on any other evse.

This is a 2019 clarity i bought in May of this year.

Has anyone else encountered similar issues?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

My 2-year old 40-amp Bosch EVSE, which is a re-labeled Leviton, has never ever had a problem charging our Clarity PHEV. I haven't seen the plastic replacements, but it doesn't sound like they're as good as the originals. And what's with the downgrade to 30 amps, anyway? Don't they know we need 32-amp EVSEs? Just kidding--nobody knows about the Clarity PHEVs.

4. victor_2019

this post brought to you by M. Night Shiamalan (what a twist!)

There's another new 30A plastic leviton charger in the parking lot and that one charges my clarity with no problems.
    so it's not the whole range of the new chargers, it's one specific charger.

so how can my car work with one 30A leviton but not another? and if the EVSE that doesn't work is defective, how come it charges my kona?

How can a specific EVSE be incompatible with a specific vehicle, but the EVSE works with other vehicles, and the vehicle works with other EVSEs of the same brand and model?

5. 2002

2002 Well-Known Member

That's not all that uncommon with electronics, especially when communications are involved. That particular EVSE could be putting some noise on the communication line, your Kona can deal with it but your Clarity can't. Not saying that's what it is but it could be something along those lines, especially if this is the only EVSE you have a problem with.

6. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

Victor, I have to ask, have you had the update for charging problems installed. It’s Service Bulletin 18-097. It is NOT automatically installed by dealers even if you’ve had other SBs installed. You have to complain of charging problems to get it. Several have posted that it fixed their problems at public chargers.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. victor_2019

I have not been back at the dealer since I bought the car in may 2019.

Is there any way to find out what software updates are installed without going to the dealer?

I know for example that the HV range fix is applied because my total and gasoline range is accurate at around 500 km when full instead of 999 like other people were seeing.

9. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

AFAIK, the only way is for the dealer to hook it up to their i-HDS computer gizmo.

insightman likes this.
  10. MPower

MPower Well-Known Member

Wasn't there a thread somewhere that mentioned that SB 18-097 was not available in Canada. I can't remember whether that problem was ever resolved.