Rear-view mirror connector?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by r1ptide64, Sep 9, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. r1ptide64

r1ptide64 New Member

Can anyone help ID this connector? It plugs into the Clarity's rear-view mirror:

rearview_connector.jpg

I'm looking to install a dashcam, and am trying to avoid long wire runs. I figure two of these pins must be +12V and GND, so I was hoping to buy an identical copy of this connector + its male counterpart, allowing me to split off a parallel circuit to power my dashcam without cutting into the OEM wires.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. eneka

eneka Member

It should be a switched 12v, reverse, and ground. It'll probably be very hard finding the female socket to create a pig tail off of it. I actually just installed a dashcam today and routed it through the a pillar and down to the fuse box. Fairly easy to just tap off of the front power socket fuse.

4. r1ptide64 likes this.
  5. Mowcowbell

Mowcowbell Well-Known Member

I know I'd buy one to avoid running cables near an airbag. Manufacturers should jump onboard and start putting USB ports on the backs of rear view mirrors.

6. To remove this ad click here.

7. It would also be nice to have an extension cable to the back glass already in the headliner... or just give us access to the existing cameras' feeds

Mowcowbell likes this.
  8. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

If wishes were fishes we’d all cast nets.
    Im not holding my breath on Honda or any auto mfg catering to such a small subset of its customers no matter how logical and convenient the idea may seem. It’s all about profit and even though it may seem to be a trivial expense, it adds up over 100s of 1,000s of cars and doesn’t help market the car to the masses.

FWIW, @jdonalds, myself and several others have found the Clarity is the easiest car we’ve ever seen to run the cable across the headliner and down the side to the fuse box or accessory 12V port. Not only is it unbelievably easy, it doesn’t interfere with the airbag, doesn’t require taking any parts off, and stays completely hidden.
    And it saves $25.
    Different strokes for different folks.
    But that adapter is a nice piece of kit that I my be using on other projects.

9. r1ptide64

r1ptide64 New Member

Thanks for the info. This approach seems concerning, though. You're basically shoving thin pins into the back of the OEM housing, right? Seems like it would be a weak connection, no? Both mechanically and electrically. But if it's working well for you, maybe I'm just overthinking things...

I'll keep this idea in my back pocket in case I never wind up identifying the exact OEM connector. I'd opt for a DIY version, though :)

I might also try seeing if I can just fit some random 1P connectors (maybe DuPont?) that I've got laying around into both the female and male ends of the OEM connectors. Might fit better than wedging a male pin into the back of the housing :p

10. It worries me too, but it's a well used technology for powering radar detectors and has worked fine for the last 9 months. Good luck looking through the TEcatalog to find the match. If you do find both sides, let us know. I'd certainly prefer to build a harness next time.

As for the pinouts, there are only 3 wired pins. My notes say (from L->R) they are
    (reverse) (ground) (switched with ignition)

but I'd take a meter to the pins if I were you.

Stan-O likes this.
  11. To remove this ad click here.

12. During my first dash cam install I found a similar plug inside the overhead where the dome lights are. I used the thin wire from the dash cam kit and simply inserted a stripped end into the 12v feed and wrapped it back across the plug. Plugged in with no problem. I also had a nice place to connect a ground wire, but it looks like you might need the ground in the plug. (2008 Kia Sorento)

Like others here I found the Clarity wire runs (front and back) to be very easy. The hardest part was kneeling on concrete outside the car to get the fuse box connections. I have some foam pads for that and it was easier than it would have been without.

13. Stan-O

Stan-O Member

Thanks for posting this, I did take a meter just to confirm, so the middle of the three is ground, the one closest to the edge of the connector is ignition switch and the third one is a reverse. I hope this helps someone else.

So (reverse) (ground) (switched with ignition) perfectly fits the OP's image.

14. SSpiffy

SSpiffy Member

insightman likes this.
  15. As an aside I have the Dongar adapter, and it works much better than the ones that just have pins. (the pins fall out occasion). When I first got the pin adapter, Dongar hadn't produced a plug adapter for the Clarity yet. In fact, looking through my emails, I sent Dongar pictures of the connector and pin out information In December of 2018

It may be cheaper on Amazon, btw

Last edited: Jul 28, 2021