Clarity Energy Consumption Data

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Mikesmith78, Sep 8, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Mikesmith78

Mikesmith78 New Member

I have been collecting data on my 2018 Honda Clarity to see how much energy the car uses vs modes vs temperatures vs AC.

My data is here

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTdesBGqAo0WjfKRnQcukX3IyAQkfvc6tmlUZwrh9PkeogpCl2Nwm3mIt2cPpcJfvilg2R2CZrW0ONm/pubhtml

I will be continue collecting and keep adding it here.

Some of my findings:
    1. I use about .3 kwhr per mile in the summer months in Chicago
    2. Sport mode tend to better energy usage then normal or econ (its probably due to regen feature)
    3. it takes about 16.35 kwhr to fully charge the battery from EV=0.

I will continue to update this and see how fall and winter effect the consumption.

Feel free to comment on this.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Mowcowbell

Mowcowbell Well-Known Member

Well, that does it for me. I'll run Sport mode 100% of the time now.

4. ClarityDoc

ClarityDoc Active Member

NICE!!

I see no gas consumption data (did I miss it?), but I'm guessing you (like me) use very little? The skeptical scientist in me wonders whether you might occasionally trigger the ICE, reducing the consumption of power from the traction battery; further, that this might be more likely in Sport mode?

As a fan of Sport mode (I think my EV range is better, I like that the regen level is preserved, and have used only about 20 gallons of gas in over 10,000 miles), I don't need you to convince me that it's efficient - but it would be good to have an answer to the skeptic's question(s) here.

5. Mikesmith78

Mikesmith78 New Member

The trips recorded in spreadsheet are when it is only EV. If the ICE turns on, the trip is invalidated and does not get recorded in the spreadsheet.

6. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing the data. It is much appreciated.

The 16.35 kWhs for a full charge seems rather high even taking into account that Level 1 EVSEs are a little less efficient than Level 2s. That would mean that the 17 kWh battery pack is using about 88.5% of its total capacity with only an 11.5% buffer (assuming 92% onboard charger efficiency). All previous data has been in the 14.4+/- kWh range which is more realistic and gives about a 22% buffer. I wonder how accurate that kill-a-watt meter is.
    We will have to ponder this. I would be surprised if Honda let the BMS have only an 11.5% buffer with their 10 year warranty in Cali. That seems rather low compared to what Leaf and Volt owners have been reporting.

Also the differences and number of trips are a little too low to definitively state that Sport is more economical than Econ. We need more data. FWIW, I’ve consistently gotten ~0.22 kWh/mile this summer when temps have been in the high 80s to 90s and all in Econ, driver only, AC mostly on low fan, max speed 60, ~50:50 hwy:cty.

Good job listing the other factors that influence efficiency like passenger load and ac usage. I take it that all the trips were round trips staring and ending at the same place so altitude change is taken I to account? And were all the trips in the same or at least similar route?

I’m just now noticing that ambient temperature when charging makes a noticeable difference in efficiency which I assume is due to differing battery capacity at different temperatures. This throws off my calculations if there is enough temperature change from one day to the next. I’ve documented higher efficiency correlating with higher temperatures. And my engine is so quiet that I have to be very careful to note when it’s run for a brief couple of miles as that affects the calculations too.

Hard to say which is more fun, driving the Clarity or tryin to figure it out!

Texas22Step likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Mikesmith78

Mikesmith78 New Member

Yeah I agree 16.35kwhr seems high to charge it full. One of these days I will validate my power meter.

My trips all have been round trip. Pretty much to work. These are all subarban town driving. Average speed is 30mph.

Is your .22kwhr with a level 2 or 1 charger?

9. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

Level 2 ChargePoint. Seems to be pretty accurate (when compared to my SolarEdge monitor) and gives kWhs to two decimal points. So it gives me the total kWhs that go into the onboard charger. What actually gets into the battery depends on the efficiency of Honda’s AC to DC on board charger.
    I’m assuming that it’s ~92% efficient but Honda hasn’t reported that or its mfg for us to check.

10. Honda has set the BMS to a charging voltage target of 4.09v. This would be 85-90% of the maximum SOC. The low voltage cut off is 3.5v which would be 20%, a commonly accepted minimum allowable SOC for lithium batteries. This leaves us with ~65% of the total capacity as usable, or 11-12kwh’s.

Reports of 13-14kwh’s of electrical consumption to fully charge seems reasonable when factoring in inefficiencies. I’ve been keeping similar, less detailed notes and have yet to measure power usage.

Good info. I may buy a low cost meter for one of my charging locations and get something more precise for the main residence.

11. Ryan C

Ryan C Member

I ran my battery down to zero range yesterday and did my first killa watt test and it put me at 15.12 kWh for full level 1 recharge. This was overnite recharge in so Cal with ambient temp around 70.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. su_A_ve

su_A_ve Active Member

Finally a full charge from 0 EV with the L1 charger and the kill-a-watt. But I forgot to unplug it in the morning and stayed on for an extra 10 hours - not sure how much the L1 charger consumed during that time, but the total it registered was about 14.7 kWh

And today I remembered to check how much I charged at work with the L2 charger, also after being at 0 EV - 14.50 kWh