Beige leather and suede - cleanliness?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by qkypgy, Sep 7, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. qkypgy

qkypgy New Member

How much upkeep does it takes to keep the beige interior clean, especially that suede/Alcantara material?

I'm leaning toward the light exterior color, so it's basically just Silver and White - which equates to black and beige interior here in the US. My old car was a Acura Silver/Black combo and I really wanted a change, so I thought I'd just go with white.

However, after test driving both the beige and black interior options, now I'm not so sure. On the one hand, the beige color with the fake brown wood, makes the interior feels more natural and livelier. On the other hand, perhaps due to my attachment with my old car, the all black interior with silver highlight, although unexciting, feels familiar and sturdy.

The most concerning part for me is that strange alcantara suede they decided to use on the huge portion of the dash panel. I've seen old Microsoft Surface alcantara keyboards, they look nasty when they are dirty. I just kept wondering what would happen to it if anyone in the front seats sneezes in the car.

What do you guys think? Anyone regretted getting the beige? Any cleaning advice?

Thanks.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. ClarityDoc

ClarityDoc Active Member

Keyboards get a lot of direct contacts from hands, which are oily. The beige interior of my midnight forest pearl Clarity still looks fine after 15 months. It's possible that if I had kids, pets, or others touching the suede, it might be different.

Sloanhoo and 4sallypat like this.
  4. Groves Cooke

Groves Cooke Active Member

I have had my Clarity for one year. 15,000 miles. I have the white with beige interior. No issues with the beige seats or the fax suede.

5. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

I have had the beige interior on my Touring for a year and a half. I treated the faux suede with 3M Scotchgard and so far it still looks new and it did. It change the color or texture. But I have no kids or pets and am very careful not to touch it when pressing the start button as I assumed that was where the dirt would first show up.
    I also used Scotchgard on a Q-tip to treat the white stitching on the seats thinking they would show dirt first. And I used a leather care product on the seats (even the non leather parts). So far they are staying clean and new looking with just an occasional wipe down. (BTW, the only leather on the seat appears to be the small perforated areas.)

I also purchased an Aries Seat Defender that is a very nice slip on seat cover that is perfect for the occasional muddy soccer kid or dog or for me if I’m in dirty yard clothes. It elasticized and fits over the head rest so it’s very quick and easy to take on and off. It’s heavy duty nylon Oxford cloth with a rubber backing so it doesn’t slide around every time you get in or out. Well worth $30. It stays in the trunk cubby for when it’s needed. If you routinely transport pets or kids, Honda makes a very nice form fitting black rear seat cover. It’s only drawback is that it’s a PITA to take on and off, so you’ll end up keeping it on almost all the time.

I got the beige interior and white color thinking it would keep the car cooler. That and ceramic IR reflecting tint is working great in the summer. The trade off is a little more effort is needed to keep the interior clean. The driver’s door armrest gets dirty the fastest for me but a quick wipe with a paper towel and spray cleaner is working fine. I am somewhat anxious about spilling something on the faux suede as I have no idea how hard it will be to clean even with the Scotchgard and hope I never have to find out.
    I’d say, get the color you want and then enjoy your choice.

qkypgy likes this.
  6. jorgie393

jorgie393 Well-Known Member

1.5 years with beige. 11yo boy. Did no pretreatment, am not very tidy. Depressing amount of crumbs, but seats are just fine. The weird furlike panel also.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

Clarity_Newbie likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Sandroad

Sandroad Well-Known Member

No problem in my light interior with an old dog for a year and now a puppy. I bought the 3M stuff Ken recommended but was too lazy to use it. Still no stains or wear around the start button. I do have the rear seat cover.

Get whichever color you like this time around.

9. 4sallypat

4sallypat Active Member

Beige interior still looks new.
    Amazing technology these days designing the dirt resistant materials compared to yesteryear material...

10. I have the Moonlit Forest Pearl with the beige leather interior. I used The leather care stuff 6months ago when the car was brand new, and all the classy beige leather/alcantara parts are looking great! When greasy finger prints or coffee spills happen, it all cleans up easily with a damp cloth or soap and water.

11. I used this:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M5BI455/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

"Creates durable Protection from the elements with just one application while maintaining fabric breathability
    • Safe for use on polyester, Nylon, polypropylene, cotton, leather, suede and more
    • Ideal for use on outerwear, Rain gear, umbrellas, patio furniture, Outdoor Gear, backpacks, luggage, canvas tarps, boat covers and more. One can provides 60 sq. Ft. Of water resistance on light nylon or 20 sq. Ft. On heavier fabrics
    • Reapply Scotchgard Heavy Duty water shield seasonally. Repels water during use and in storage"

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

I can confirm that Scotchgard does not alter the appearance or texture of the faux suede that we assume is Alcantara or its generic equivalent and I applied multiple heavy coats.
    Haven’t got it dirty enough to clean yet but it’s got to be easier to clean with the Scotchgard.