EVSE NEMA 10-30 plug and cable getting pretty hot - is this normal?

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by FloridaSun, Aug 22, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

I'm aware that it takes more than a minute to warm up.. Just checked if it is functioning. I'll charge at 9 pm when electric rate goes from 17.5 cents to 5.006 cents per kwh. Will check temperature every 30 minutes to see if it heats up.
    Same manufacturer.. Mustart was very responsive and sent me a 32 amp unit on my request to replace the defective 26 amp version

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. I don't blame you for waiting;)

4. FloridaSun

Charging for 30 minites so far and 14-50 plug is only a little warmer than garage temperature. No excessive heat so far. Will keep monitoring but it appears to be working fine. Control unit shows 47 C which I believe is also normal considering the relatively hot garage temp. 20190905_213107.jpg

Bugblndr likes this.
  5. FloridaSun

1 hour and 20 minutes of charging and 14-50 plug temperature is still the same..

6. Curious that the EVSE shows 262 V, would like to compare that with an actual meter

KiwiME likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. FloridaSun

That number fluctuates between 219 and 265 volts, averages out to about 240. Voltage fluctuates, even when using my electric tester. It's not consistent at 240 volts.. It jumps..

9. FloridaSun

My electric company lets me view my hourly use which is really cool. You can see the jump at 9 PM when charging the car... The Red part of the chart is PEAK and green is OFF-PEAK. Off Peak is priced at 5.006 cents per kwh and PEAK is 17.482 per kwh. The use during the day is mostly the AC running.. From the previous night, you can see the 120 volt charger pulling very little until 5 AM when I disconnected it to drive to work..

electricuse.jpg

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
  10. Whoa, that's over 100 kwh per day consumption. I keep forgetting you folks in the south run a/c 24/7 for a good chunk of the year. I guess that is compensated by lower heating costs :)

11. FloridaSun

On cloudy days, my consumption is around 60 kwh per day while on sunny and hot days, it's close to 100 kwh in summer.. From June to September, I'm using about 2000 - 2300 kwh per month. However, from October to May, I'm only using 1000 to 1300 kwh per month. (that's before the Kona). That number will likely be 200 - 300 kwh per month higher this fall, winter and spring. I have to run the heater less than 10 nights per winter. Some winters, I don't need the heater at all.. Our AVERAGE high in January which is our coldest month is 74 F (23 C) for the high and 51 F for the low (11 C) but some winters, we have 80's all January long (and 60's for the lows)..

https://www.usclimatedata.com/climate/lakeland/florida/united-states/usfl0267

Electric bills run around $220 to $250 from June to September and $110 to $150 for the rest of the year.. My electric bill also includes my pool pump running 4 hours per day and I also have a well pump to supply my house with water.. Also.. 3 fridges, 2 water heaters etc...

apu likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. We used to run our hot tub all winter long (and barley used it), and that killed us for kWh usage. Now it just sits with the lid on. My wife wants me to get rid of it, but that is no small job...

14. Our city home runs an average around 900 kwh/month but we also chip in another $150-200 a month for natural gas during the heating season( good 5 months). Our farm home is the energy star at typically less than 250 kwh per month entirely solar powered, hot water, heat/cooking is supplied by wood and a propane furnace. The wood cost is the fuel for my chainsaw and propane is only around $250 for the year. It don't get much cheaper than that.

electriceddy likes this.
  15. FloridaSun

Just put it on Craigslist..

16. FloridaSun

One of my neighbors cut his electric bill in half with a solar system.. He still needs power from the electric grid at night as his solar system does not have batteries, so he only gets juice from it during daylight. Systems with larger capacity batteries are just not worth the investment. Takes 15 years or so to pay for itself (even after 30% tax credit).. That's too long..

17. I wish... Built in on lower deck (cement), and plumbing underground into the house where the pump and heater resides. Wastes a bit of space, but not worth the expense of removing it. And we might still use it sometime. Wife was talking last winter a couple times that we should maybe fire it up again. It's in a nice spot,... we're up on a hill, with a great view of the city and mountains. Looks really nice in the winter, incl lights all lit up on the mountain ski hills. But I didn't like that electrical bill... Ironically, when we bought the house, that was one of the selling features.

TESLY likes this.
  18. FloridaSun

Oh, didn't know that it was built in.. They sell the ones that just sit on your deck here at Costco. I thought that it was one of those..
    I would not remove it if it's built in as it will add to your home's resale value if you ever want to sell it, even though... houses are so expensive in Vancouver that it probably won't make a huge difference.. I checked real estate prices when I was there 2 years ago and I was shocked that there were no houses in West Vancouver with over 120 m2 for under a million canadian $.... I know that Burnaby is a little cheaper but compared to Florida, still 2 to 3 times more expensive.

19. My last electric bill showed a total usage of 1305 kWh for a total cost of $258.90 (includes generation, delivery, taxes, and a bunch of other fees/surcharges) So, bottom line cost is 0.198 cents per kWh. Gotta love living in New England.

20. I would love to do that on our house. A large part of the roof faces south. But waiting for panels to come down in price a bit more, and maybe some govt subsidy help (if the Conservatives win this fall).

We've had solar at our lake cabin for many years now, and works great. I did it all myself (with lots of help from the off-grid forums). But unfortunately, the regs here in town make it very expensive the way it stands right now. We have propane (cooking stove, water heater and fridge) at the cabin, too, and an endless supply of fire wood for our heating stove. Would be a lot cheaper to live there than here in town. But I think my wife would divorce me pretty quick...

21. Yup, not cheap here. Other than NYC and maybe some areas in CA, it is the highest in NA, although has dropped a bit last couple years (due to govt taxing "speculators"). We also have the dubious honour of highest gas prices in NA (also thanks to govt taxes). That why EVs are more popular here.

22. FloridaSun

I was told that many people from Hong Kong started moving to Vancouver after the Chinese took over. That drove up the Real Estate prices...

23. Yup, that was quite some time ago, and then the ones from Mainland China started coming, too. They were all good for the local economy, as well as cultural diversity (have many Chinese friends), but not the best for young people trying to get into the housing market. I had to help out my son, and when the grandkids are older, will likely need help as well.