Typical mi/kWh, economical driving percentage?

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by jde2019kona, Sep 5, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

Tags:
  1. jde2019kona

jde2019kona New Member

I’ve had my Kona for a couple of weeks now, and I am very pleased with it. I have been driving primarily in Eco mode with level 2 or 3 regeneration. (Deceleration seems a bit strong in level 3 when I take my foot off the pedal.)

I’m curious to know what kind of values you folks are getting for miles/kWh (or km/kWH if you are outside US) and also what your percentage breakdown is for economical/normal/aggressive during your drives.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

On my daily commute, I average about 5 miles/kwh and on longer highway trips, I average about 4 miles/kwh. My current average for the last 4000 miles shows 4.7 miles/kwh. Worst on one charge was 3.5 miles/kwh, going 70 mph most of the time with the AC on.. On my daily commute, my break down is about 80% Economimcal and 20% normal and 0% aggressive.. On longer highway trips I'm at about 80% normal and 20% economical

4. KonaTom

KonaTom Well-Known Member

Have 11000 km on it and i’m Getting about 14 kWh per 100 km. In winter it is more like 15.5 or higher. 90% highway driving

5. Summer average about 125 Wh/km, winter same as you (155 Wh/km). ECCO mode all the time. Mostly heat pump for cabin heating in winter set at 22 degrees C.

6. styx66

styx66 New Member

I ride that 4mi/kwh line pretty hard. I live on a hill and work about 400 feet lower. In the morning i get ~10mi/kwh, then on the way home i get 2 or so, but my gauge always ends up back at 4. If i go to the market down the hill, as soon as i get back to my driveway - 4mi/kwh.

I drive 68% eco, 29% normal, 3% aggressive.

I've stopped caring about the modes so much and just leave it in Normal unless I want to have some fun, then I'll throw it in sport mode. Eco mode I have it set to dial back the climate control so in the summer I'm not having that. I've watched the power output and it seems Eco mode doesn't limit max power, its almost all throttle response that's different performance-wise. I like to have that passing power ready when I need it.

As for regen I just leave it at 1 + Auto regen (love this). For the first month I was trying my darndest not to use the brake pedal figuring that doesn't regen as efficiently, so switching between regen levels all the time. Then I found out putting my foot on the brake IS engine regen up to a certain point so I just drive like normal now and its much more relaxing. Auto regen gets me almost there usually, then just lightly press the brake at the end to come to a full stop.

eastpole, KonaTom and electriceddy like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. KonaTom

KonaTom Well-Known Member

I drive in normal mode with regen set to one, and smart regen on. The last time I charged to 100% I had 495 km, and I drive at least 90% highway at 100+Kph. Using the brake for regen does not lower efficiency and puts on the brake light for safety. Even then I notice my brakes make a little noise once in a while because they are not used enough, so I put it in neutral (when safe) and brake to a stop to clean them. They worked quietly after that for a month or so.

9. I drive a 2019 Kia Niro and get .131 watts per mile or 4.7 miles per Kwh, so it does not seem like there is much difference between these two EV. Bought the niro because of the heat pump, which the kona did not have in the states

electriceddy likes this.
  10. Surprised they include it with Kia but not Hyundai

11. styx66

styx66 New Member

Are we sure its not a documentation issue? I mean the Kona has the active battery cooling - would this for sure be a seperate system from the heating? Or are they both just linked to the climate control in some way...

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. https://electricrevs.com/2018/12/20/exclusive-details-on-hyundais-new-battery-thermal-management-design/?fbclid=IwAR1FlwHcBpH4xte3ketRthNhzyyt5PmCCgw0Mq0iCaKqh2W_agNBtpcG0sA
    Last paragraph- Kia Niro comes with heat pump and optional on 2020 Soul EV

14. I've driven about 2400 miles in Southern California since June. My display says I'm averaging 4.7mi/kWh. However, I also track the kWh that my EVSE delivers to the vehicle and this is averaging 4.08mi/kWh over the last 1400 miles that I have reliable data for.

15. I suspect the EVSE (or its related software) is not allowing for charging losses normally around 10% .You are a little low at 86% but nothing to be concerned about.

16. FloridaSun

Maybe because Hyundai has a Lifetime Battery Warranty and the Kia doesn't.. The Kona also has less standard equipment in the base version compared to other countries that do not have the Lifetime Battery Warranty..

17. victor_2019

victor_2019 Active Member

only in specific markets.

in canada it's 8 years/160 000 km

18. FloridaSun

That's why Hyundai has a lot more standard equipment in Canada. Only the US has the Lifetime Battery Warranty..

19. jde2019kona

jde2019kona New Member

Thanks for the replies, everyone. Over the past 600 mi (960 km) I have been getting 5.4 miles/kwH (115 wH/km if my math is correct). I drive about 30 miles (50 km) per day, half of it surface streets and half freeway. About 60-70% economical, 30-40% normal.