Clarity PHEV wheel resonator question

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Danks, Sep 4, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Danks

Danks Active Member

I stopped by a tire shop today and talked to them about dealing with the resonators on the wheels. They asked two pretty good questions. The first, Do the resonators go all the way around the wheel? It doesn't look like it from the picture posted on the forum here. The second question, Are the resonators always on the same part of the wheel? Apparently they have worked on some other cars that have something in the wheel that is always opposite the valve stem. That helps them know to be more careful in that area.

So is is correct that the resonator does not go all the way around the wheel? Is the resonator in a predictable place so it can be avoided? If so, where?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Here's an illustration of the resonators, but it doesn't show how many there are or indicate how to predict their locations. I'm sure someone on this forum (someone like @Robert_Alabama) has seen them with their own eyes and will report.

upload_2019-9-4_22-10-27.png

Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
  4. Robert_Alabama

Robert_Alabama Well-Known Member

I have a spare wheel from a FCV Clarity (black wheel that I repainted to silver). It has two of the resonators exactly like the one in @insightman's post. There is one on each semicircular half of the wheel. The valve stem is exactly between the two. The point of the wheel exactly opposite the valve stem will be exactly in the middle of the space between the two resonators as well.

KentuckyKen and insightman like this.
  5. Danks

Danks Active Member

Thank you. That is really helpful information. From the picture and your description it sounds like each resonator covers about 1/4 the wheel. I'm thinking 1/4 resonator, then 1/4 space, 1/4 resonator, and 1/4 space.

6. To remove this ad click here.

7. Danks

Danks Active Member

8. Robert_Alabama

Here are pics of the BEV Clarity wheel resonators showing the valve stem (apologies for earlier post saying it was from FCV... I had forgotten which had the black wheels, the BEV or the FCV.)...
    wheel1.jpg wheel2.jpg

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
    Clarity_Newbie, Danks and KentuckyKen like this.
  9. Danks

Danks Active Member

Thanks. That is a lot closer to what I was understanding from your description and the illustration @insightman posted. With these I can show the tire shop and hopefully help them not break the resonators. Saved me a thousand words.

10. Robert_Alabama

For completeness, here is a photo of the side opposite the valve stem...
    wheel3.jpg

11. To remove this ad click here.

12. Clarity_Newbie

Clarity_Newbie Active Member

13. ClarityBill

ClarityBill Active Member

Having changed a few tires in my years... Looks like there is a rim on the black side can keep the loose tire from breaking the resonator. This is the side the tire needs to be removed and mounted. (Outside of wheel, given location of valve stem.)

The grey side looks like it is tapered that would push the loose tire into the resonator... Removing or mounting the tire from this side would destroy the resonator. After the tire is on the wheel, the bead will ride up the grey taper, and seat the bead properly.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
    KentuckyKen and 2002 like this.
  14. descolado

descolado Member

15. Steven B

Steven B Active Member

I recently took my Clarity to a Firestone shop to have new tires installed and I warned them about the resonators. And hour later when they finally got to it, I received a call informing me that they had tried two different machines and were not comfortable that they could remove the tires without damaging the resonators. So I retrieved my car and shlepped it and the tires (Continental PureContact LS) over to the Honda dealer who had no problem.

16. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

Apparently some Accords and Acuras also have wheel resonators, so It is surprising that the major tire shops are not adept at dealing with this.
    Anyone else have experiences (good or bad) with tire replacement at a non-Honda shop?

17. Firestone. In the 70's I had a Cutlass that needed alignment. I took it to Firestone. I drove it across the parking lot (to the store where I worked) and took it back as it was pulling left. A lot. The "expert" at Firestone told me it was to correct for the slope in the road. I told him what I thought and convinced the manager to refund the cost.

Took it to a shop that was family owned and the young man took a look with the car on a hoist, pulled a stack of shims an inch and a half thick out, showed them to me, and said, "You don't need these." He tossed them in a 55 gallon barrel that was about half full of them. Five minutes later I was on the road with no pull. They gained my business until I moved across town. Even then I kept going there for five years before deciding it was too far. Fourteen miles.

Firestone? No.