Is additional rustproofing required?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Klong, Sep 5, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. I just found out by reading another thread on this site, that almost all of the Clarity's panels are aluminium. I know from jacking the car up to change tires that the frame is also aluminium. I normally have my car oil sprayed at year 3 or 4 and then every second year there after to inhibit rust. Should I even bother with so little steel in the areas where the rust proofing would go (under body, side panels, hood etc)?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. The fasteners in the car are still going to be steel. There's maybe a possibility of white corrosion on the aluminum, depending on if it's anodized.

I honestly don't know.

Honda seems to have stepped up its corrosion protection in general the last couple of decades, so that, in combination with the material differences may mean that it's not worth it.

4. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

I don't have anything profound to say, except to offer a correction.
    The 'frame' (at least in the proximity of the jack points) is NOT aluminum. I tested these areas with a magnet and it is steel.

5. RichL

RichL Member

Thought about it when I received my car last summer but decided against it.

First, it depends on how long you intend or "expect" to keep it. I've got mine on a 3 year lease and depending on my experience with the Clarity (great so far) and the advancements of BEV tech by 2021 I can decide then whether to keep it.

Second, more important is that it may affect your warranty. I heard on a local new channel car talk show (CP24 in Toronto) that a 2019 Mustang owner had a warranty repair for a faulty fuel tank senor (at the tank) rejected due to the owner having oil sprayed his car for rust proofing. Ford blamed the sprayed oil which is a fine mist applied by a reputable established rustproofing company for fouling the electrical senor. With all the electrical connector on the Clarity, its wasn't worth the risk for me. Image if you had a short or the car spontaneously combusted like some Teslas and Honda blames the rustproofing...

I know Fords assertion does not make sense but why risk it just to prevent some rust that may not occur plus with battery/electric motor tech advancing so quickly, the Clarity maybe obsolete in 6-8 years time.

6. I had a better look under the Clarity. There are a number of structural members made out of steel. Also the majority of the underside is covered by flat barrier material. As structural members are already factory rust proofed, and rarely fail in under 10 years, my major concern is body panels. And they are mostly all aluminium. I don't think additional rustproofing is warranted. Has anyone on the site had additional rust protection (maybe a dealer package) applied?

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. DaleL

DaleL Active Member

Car Talk and Consumer Reports both recommend AGAINST any aftermarket rust "proofing". At a minimum, undercoating adds weight to an already heavy vehicle.

9. craze1cars

craze1cars Well-Known Member

Not necessary on any modern car.