Roof Rails or Racks

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by BMKoNa, Mar 22, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

Tags:
  1. BMKoNa

BMKoNa New Member

That looks awesome! But I was told by the dealership that installing tracks would void the warranty. Did you explore this?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. That's plain BS. But according to some dealers it lost warranty when you sat in there the first time.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

electriceddy likes this.
  4. Just got a Kona Electric SEL here in Maine. There was no option at any trim level for the factory roof side bars. Even though all other countries seem to get roof side bars. And so do the gas versions.

Has anyone purchased the roof side bar parts for a gas Kona and attached them to an electric?

To me, it looks like I'd have to drop the headliner and drill studs up from inside, then seal with 3M 5200 or something.

5. Murry

Murry Member

It's kind of bizarre that roof rails are not even an option in the US. They're standard in Europe (included even in the basic trim).

electriceddy likes this.
  6. Gasfree4me

Gasfree4me New Member

Attached Files:

Domenick and electriceddy like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Gasfree4me

Gasfree4me New Member

I got the cross rails and Thule box from Hyundai. It's not as big as i would have hoped for but should make up a bit for the lack of trunk space when we go camping.

9. Are you located in the United States? Roof side rails are not an option here. Or at least my dealer couldn't get them.

10. Gasfree4me

Gasfree4me New Member

I'm in Canada

11. Soona

Soona Member

The Yakima/Thule Tracks I had installed at Rack Attack do not need to be drilled or screwed up through the inside headliner. They are drilled down through the top and installed with some kind of expando bolt, and they seal with silicone. I had them for almost 4 years on my VW eGolf and were absolutely bomber, even with big loads and strong headwinds.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. @Soona I would do that except I am leasing and the plus nuts are not reversible. Instead, I will have to hide any permanent attachment under the roof gutter trim where the lease inspector will not find it. OR just turn the car in with the factory side rails (and tow hitch), which they will not even notice since most Konas have them.

I did use the Landing Pad 7 with plus nuts on my Prius and it worked great, but that was a 10-year-old car when I bought it.

14. OK.

Talked with the dealer at length and told them exactly what I am going to do. They agreed that side rails should be an option and said the lease inspector will not ding me for adding things to the car that look like stock things. Since most of the Konas on their lot have the side rails, he didn't think the lease guy would even notice.

Ordered roof rail parts:
    87270-J9000-PGY LH roof side rail
    87280-J9000-PGY RH roof side rail
    87293-J9000-PGY CAP (qty 6)

They arrived the other day.

Dropped head liner. Laid roof rails in place with front edge 5 3/16" from top of windshield glass. Verified mounting holes are clear on the inside. They are. Started drilling with my new 1/8" super-duper cobalt nitride titanium bit. And kept drilling. And kept drilling. No dice. Grabbed a 5/32" carbide masonry bit that came in a box of concrete screws. Used a diamond sharpening stone to get a decent edge on the carbide. That did the trick. Six holes lickety split. Used a step drill to open em up to 5/16". The bottom of the gutter is too thick for the step drill to go all the way thru so chased it with a 5/16" twist bit. The bit was wrecked after reaming 4 holes. Grabbed another bit for the last two.

Had my son inside the car with a box wrench while I locked down stainless steel aircraft nuts to 5/16"x2" SS hex head bolts. There's a SS washer in the inside. Put a blob of silicone plus under the nut and went full tight.

IMG_2826.JPG

Then I'm going to fully embed the nut in silicone. I'll drill holes in the gutter trim piece and bolt the side rails on with a second SS washer and aircraft nut.

Wayne Warde and electriceddy like this.
  15. Sweet momma! I'm glad rails come standard with the Ultimate in Canada. (And now I feel sort of bad because I don't even want them!) Nonetheless, I salute your fortitude.

16. Just curious of the cost of the rail parts ( I can guess the $ of the drill bits and ss bolts etc)

17. Wayne Warde

Wayne Warde Active Member

Instead of using silicone you should probably use 3M 5200. It makes a more complete bond then silicone. It is what all boaters use because it is so tough.

electriceddy likes this.
  18. Each side rail was $163.60 plus six caps @ $3.54 plus tax & shipping came to $379.26.

BTW I also wrapped the white (total crap paint job over the beautiful Galactic Grey) with Avery SW900 gloss black vinyl ($130) gloss.jpg

19. XtsKonaTrooper

XtsKonaTrooper Well-Known Member

Black vinyl looks nice on there.

20. eastpole

eastpole Active Member

Jared Potter likes this.
  21. eastpole

eastpole Active Member

To confirm my own post, my August-delivered Kona EV Preferred in Canada came standard with side rails that I have now mounted Thule Aero bars on. Much more secure than the Yakima rain-gutter grippers I had used on my old Mazda 3 Sport.

Larry Davidson likes this.
  22. EnerG

EnerG Active Member

Did you get your Thule cross bars at a Hyundai dealership?

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

23. Larry Davidson

Larry Davidson New Member

From what I'm learning only the gas model Kona has rails on which you can attach crossbars. The electric Kona doesn't have rails, at least the US models.