Infotainment System - Clarity vs Accord

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by SoapOpera, Sep 3, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. SoapOpera

SoapOpera New Member

Today I gave my Clarity to my local dealer to fix the A pillar rattle issue for the 2nd time. I got a 2019 Accord as loaner and while connecting my phone to the system, I found it has more modern/upgraded/slick looking software on them.

anyone know if Clarity can be upgraded to that version of the infotainment software? Clarity interface looks old and outdated compared to Accord.

Daniel M W likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. RickSE

RickSE Active Member

I had a 2016 Accord and the infotainment system in my 2018 Clarity is exactly what was in my old accord. The only difference was that they moved the volume control on the steering wheel. I highly doubt there is any retroactive upgrade in the 2018/19 Clarity future. Maybe the 2020 will see it, but no one east of California will ever know!

4. eneka

eneka Member

The Clarity is essentially unchanged from 2016 and the Accord was released in 2017. AFAIK no upgrades are available. Perhaps Honda might update the system during a MMC "minor model change" for 2020 or 2021 if they deem the Clarity good enough for one. Hondas generally get a mmc/refresh every 4 years and a full model change 6-7 years from release.

5. 4sallypat

4sallypat Active Member

With low sales numbers, it would difficult to justify spending any money on a LCI or MMC change for the Clarity.

6. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

How many expensive changes would Honda have to make to this car on which they're already losing money to get Californians to pay the car's reasonable MSRP? It seems the deal comes down to one question that doesn't consider the outdated infotainment system: "What's the least I have to spend for a nice car that lets me drive passenger-free in the HOV lane?"

Mowcowbell and KentuckyKen like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. ClarityDoc

ClarityDoc Active Member

Any factual basis for this speculation? I see the shift of 2018/2019 inventory to California as a potentially positive move, if it clears that inventory and makes national distribution of an updated 2020 Clarity PHEV more profitable. We can each speculate, but let's not claim to know without good sources.

9. LAF

LAF Active Member

Given all the great features present in the Clarity, I find this a non-issue.

insightman and MPower like this.
  10. RickSE

RickSE Active Member

Let’s see:
    1). I owned a 2016 Accord so that’s a fact.
    2). I’ve owned Honda’s since 1990 and have never seen a retroactive upgrade. So that’s an educated speculation.
    3). That’s a joke.

You need a chill pill dude.

4sallypat likes this.
  11. 4sallypat

4sallypat Active Member

This model already has features above and beyond any other brand at that price point IMO.
    If you look at what you get for a base Honda (LED lights, Auto Brake Hold, 18" wheels, triple laminated acoustic glass, lane keep assist, active cruise control, collision mitigation braking, adaptive sport drive, Apple CarPlay & Android Auto) and you look at a base BMW, you don't get any of that unless you buy them as an option or package. A 3 series BMW with all those features would cost over $50K. My current BMW 5 series base that cost $60K has a lot less equipment than the Clarity.

Having had 6 BMWs, 2 Land Rover, 1 Mercedes - I say that Honda did an excellent job engineering a fine car for the price point.

If the infotainment is not to your liking, have a custom stereo shop yank it out and replace it with whatever you want....

I'm quite happy and tickled that Honda designed a well made, smart vehicle that makes me smile each time I drive her.

Mike J, Johnhaydev and 2002 like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Mowcowbell

Mowcowbell Well-Known Member

I guess I don't have any complaints about the infotainment system, as it is a huge improvement over the unit that was in my '17 Subaru Outback. That thing was so poorly designed that it had to re-scan the entire contents of the USB stick each time I started the vehicle. It would only play the 'first track' on the USB stick until it finished the scan. Added insult was no AA or Apple Carplay.

4sallypat likes this.
  14. Hoon

Hoon Member

I don’t think you can just yank out and replace the infotainment system as it is closely integrated with the car. Climate control for example, and how else would you control all the settings for the car?

Our infotainment sucks for sure, but I do like the rest of the car. Every time I connect my phone and launching CarPlay, it starts playing music or podcast, no matter how I stopped it last time.

Infotainment system is very sluggish, it’s like playing a first person shooter computer game on an old integrated graphics equipped computer. Very annoying but what else can we do.

KentuckyKen likes this.
  15. 4sallypat

4sallypat Active Member

Agreed, the infotainment / climate / phone interface can't be yanked out but you can always add a huge Tesla like fancy tablet sound system and advanced graphics navigation, etc... Just costs money - lots of money but if you have it then by all mean upgrade your Clarity...

When I look at my BMW, I actually paid an EXTRA $3,000 for the "Premium package" so that it gets a fancy finger write iDrive navigation system that I NEVER use.
    At least Honda's Clarity system does not need that "fancy $3K" option...

16. qkypgy

qkypgy New Member

Clarity is using the Honda infotainment interface from 2016, the same one since the current generation was introduced. They added back the volume knob with new interface for with tenth gen Accord in 2018.