Nice Battery Powered Lawn Equipment

Discussion in 'General' started by David Towle, Aug 30, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. David Towle

David Towle Well-Known Member

https://redbackpowerusa.com/product-category/electric-lawn-mowers/

I bought their 120 volt push mower and have found it to be quite good, although for my half acre 2 batteries are needed. Enough power to cut even thick grass, although battery time goes down when its thick. I paid way more than the prices they are offering now. For instance the 21" push mower is only $140 now. Buy the mower and a blower or trimmer for $100 and you have enough batteries for mowing a good size yard and another useful tool. Shipping is free. I don't think their inventory will last long at these prices.

BTW I utilize the batteries the way the Clarity does, when they are down to 25% remaining I put them back on the charger. Lithium batteries don't like deep discharge.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Mowcowbell

Mowcowbell Well-Known Member

Once you go battery powered mowers, it's hard to go back to a ICE mower. I don't miss the noise, smelly exhaust, filling gas tanks, changing oil each season.

Now, all I have to do is sharpen the blade every few weeks.

Clamps, Texas22Step and Domenick like this.
  4. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Why can't I buy a battery-powered Honda lawnmower in the US? Disappointingly, my gas-powered Honda lawnmower is one of the loudest in the neighborhood and an electric mower would be a quiet alternative. Honda makes really quiet gas-powered portable generators, why is my lawn mower so loud? I'm happy to keep using gas in my Honda snow-blower, however, because I don't want to have to worry about reduced range in the cold weather.

5. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

The Clarity has definitely spoiled me to the point that I will never be able to buy a gas engine again.
    The 14 yr old weed wackier died last week and I replaced it with an EGO with a 56 V 2.5 A battery. It does my sidewalk, yard and a 60 x 15 ft brushy area on one charge. Now if my 21 year old $25 yard sale Honda mower would just die, I’d replace it too w an EGO. Trouble is, it refuses to die and starts on the first pull every time! I am almost buying more gas for it and the leaf blower than I am for my Clarity. And I’m definitely making more trips to the gas station for them than the Clarity.
    Can’t wait to one day be able to yard sale the gas can and be done forever w gasoline (except for <20 gal/yr for the good ol’ Clarity). And in 8 to 10 years the Clarity will be replaced with a BEV. But I would give it up now if Rivian would give me their truck and a few power packs to beta test for them!

6. jdonalds

jdonalds Well-Known Member

For three years we had no lawns or bushes so I got rid of all of my ICE powered garden equipment. I had toyed with electric gear earlier but they were corded AC equipment. I hated the cords but liked the electric vs ICE. Then in 2011 we moved and the house we live in has two small lawns, and lots of trees and bushes. I bought all new battery powered equipment.

I currently have:
    - An NiMh 18V B&D edger
    - An NiMh 18V B&D hedge trimmer
    - An NiMh 18V B&D blower (old. I no longer use it)
    - An NiMh 18V B&D 6" Chain Saw Lopper
    - An NiMh 18V B&D 8" Chain Saw 10' pole saw.
    All of the above share the same batteries.

- 2 Li-Ion 20V B&D blower/vacuums. I keep one set up as a blower, the other as a vacuum.
    - An Li-Ion 56V EGO Self Propelled Lawn Mower
    - An Li-Ion 40V Powerworks extension articulating hedge trimmer

The only other thing I have is an AC corded leaf blower which I haul out in the fall to take care of the leaves. It is much more powerful both as a blower and a vacuum than the battery powered units which work well enough for the rest of the year.

I have no gas cans, 2-cycle or 4-cycle oil. There are no starting cords to pull, no gas and oil to refill, no danger of starting a brush fire due to garden equipment, no tune-ups, no spark plugs, and no loud gas engines. The battery powered equipment each do the job quite well, none has ever failed to start, none has required maintenance. I have had to replace the 18V batteries every 3 years or so.

I had a 36V B&D lawn mower until this year. I never had to replace the large battery even after 8 years of weekly use. The only reason I got rid of it and bought the EGO self powered is I have lung trouble and it was time to switch to a self powered mower. The EGO was about $500 but worth every penny.

I didn't buy any of these battery powered devices to save the planet. I bought them for simplicity and ease of operation.

Here is a photo of my battery central. For years I've kept all of the batteries on the charger when not in use. Lately I've begun to take the Li-Ion batteries off the charger to reduce the possibility of battery initiated fires.

20190830_215044.jpg

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. sniwallof

sniwallof Active Member

+1 on the EGO, got one a year or two back to replace my pathetic little neuton battery mower with a 14" blade, (which a son bought from me used, for his elderly mom for a postage size lawn).

But, I still have a Sears riding mower to pull the leaf sweeper, and on occasion mow the lawn, which is still so much faster and easier than even the EGO 21" self-propelled. The EGO is probably better for the lawn too (although I go part natural with a lot of weeds and clover), because the riding mower packs the ground, not good.

I still have a 2 kW Honda gas backup generator too, But, the only time I've really used it was to keep working in my office, while the solar array was being installed in 2015.

Also, with 1ft+ snows common, nothing beats a self propelled gas engine snow blower (yet). Even with a relatively large one, sometimes it takes two passes just to do one row (snow above the height of the front of the blower).

I am trying to save the planet, but that is silly too, no few of us can make any meaningful difference one way or the other.

I think it's very close to what you have been saying about BEVs, it's getting interesting and more practical to have battery powered garden tools, but we are not there yet.

BTW, albeit very expensive, I continue to be intrigued by the trend towards using a large collection of lawn equipment batteries for emergency power - https://www.homedepot.com/p/EGO-56-Volt-3000-Watt-Nexus-Portable-Power-Station-Generator-Powered-with-Two-7-5-Ah-Batteries-PST3042/305092922

Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
  9. David in TN

David in TN Well-Known Member

From looking at your power strip, the thought that occurred to me is, "but Clark, the little lights aren't twinkling."

Sent from my SM-N960U using Inside EVs mobile app

Clamps likes this.
  10. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

It may look a little sketchy, but @jdonalds has assured us in another thread that it’s not overloaded and doesn’t get warm.

11. r1ptide64

r1ptide64 New Member

I bought a cheap, corded mower. Dealing with the cord got old, fast. So I made a DIY battery for it :cool:

The battery is 36 cells (Samsung 30Qs), all in series, divided into 6 permanently-soldered 6S modules. I charge these in parallel (using the charger and parallel charging board I had for my drones), and re-connect them in series to mow.

Works great!

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. jdonalds

jdonalds Well-Known Member

The fact is most of the time only one charger is drawing power, sometimes two. The load is pretty light. The rest is trickle charge.

14. Sandroad

Sandroad Well-Known Member

I suggest moving this interesting and useful thread to the off topic sub forum on insideevs because it is not about the Clarity and other EV owners may want to chime in. Worth considering @Domenick ?

electriceddy and Domenick like this.
  15. Sandroad

Sandroad Well-Known Member

I use an EGO push mower, weed trimmer, chainsaw, and snowblower. All excellent tools with quiet, full power. I also have and really like a Ryobi electric riding mower. It's a wonder for cutting my 3/4 acre lawn and so nice and quiet. I sold all my gas equipment and no longer have to worry about gas/oil/stabilizer/spark plugs/air cleaners/etc. Given the poor state of the art of small gas engines for pollution and noise, I don't miss them at all! I charge all of the battery tools from a small solar system on my tool shed.

Texas22Step and jdonalds like this.
  16. This one looks like it could handle the job quite well:)
    [​IMG]

mho likes this.
  17. Earl

Earl Active Member

I believe that guy and his car were the first to ever drive cross country using Tesla's Supercharger network. He and his daughter left the east coast before the last Supercharger came online but it was ready when they got to it. He was given a hero's welcome in Fremont, CA when he arrived. First by EV drivers congregated at the Supercharger, then they shut down the factory for a few minutes and all the Tesla employees greeted him.

electriceddy likes this.
  18. ENirogus

ENirogus Active Member

I have been running a 1972 GE Elec Trak garden tractor for 13 years. I have a gasoline generator, and a gasoline brush chipper which will get converted to 36 volt if it ever dies. Everything else is electric. Black and Decker push mower[replaced FLA batteries a few years ago] and a 2000 watt inverter hanging off the back of the tractor for when the chainsaw is out of cord range

Last edited: May 18, 2021
    electriceddy likes this.
  19. Waiting for the day when an effective electric snowblower is available.

20. ENirogus

ENirogus Active Member

My tractor has a snowblower...........I didn't like the original single stage and converted a sears two stage to electric. Mostly I plow as the situation has changed and made plowing easier