Your brain made you buy a Kona, but did your heart want a Model 3?

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by robxb, Aug 26, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. ehatch

ehatch Active Member

Not if I want to make last minute detours. I also want live traffice

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. That's a problem, of course.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

ehatch likes this.
  4. SkookumPete

SkookumPete Well-Known Member

I followed a Model 3 the other day and was struck by the sheer elegance of the bodywork. Not dog-friendly, though.

5. The m3 just came out here in NZ and the Std Range Plus is exactly the same price as what I paid for my base Kona 8 months ago. Given the choice now I would have gone for the m3. My Kona doesn't have NAV or any connectivity past CarPlay but I can get it serviced 3 blocks down the street, that's about the only advantage. Trouble is with the m3 is that I would want the performance model "because it's there", adding another 27k, and servicing would require a long drive.

6. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

Based on what I heard, Maintenance on M3's is a nightmare. Many people have to wait weeks to get their car back if a part is needed that is not in stock. Luckily Tesla does have a loaner program but I have read that it may go away.. Also, if you have an accident, you have to bring it to a Tesla authorized shop (3 times the cost of a regular shop) and if they find out that you had the car repaired somewhere else, they will cut you from the supercharging network..

KiwiME likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. I know in CT, there is a law that insurance companies can't force you to go to specific "approved" shops to get your car repaired. I wonder if the same law applies to car manufacturers trying to force the same.

Reference: https://portal.ct.gov/CID/General-Consumer-Information/FAQs-Regarding-Repairs-to-Your-Vehicle

9. FloridaSun

KiwiME likes this.
  10. Bugblndr

Bugblndr Member

I was looking at the Model 3 mid last month (July 13th). I usually have a dog and crate in my car, lots of gear for my RC car racing. The Model Y would be what would work for me but it doesn't exist yet and the pricing will be considerably more. The Model X is too expensive.

Discovered the Kona Electric later the night of the 13th and it looks to work perfect for my needs. After two delays, I'll get the car later this week.

ehatch and Esprit1st like this.
  11. Brennan Raposo

Brennan Raposo Well-Known Member

I had full intentions of buying the AWD M3. I had put the $1000 deposit several years back and paid the $3200 non-refundable down payment as soon as I was able to. Unfortunately, two factors prevented me from going through with the purchase. The main being Doug Ford's election as Ontario MP - He immediately canceled the $14,000 EV rebate. Secondly, Tesla appraises trade-in's laughably low. I got $15,000 for my 14' Santa Fe from my Hyundai Dealership. Tesla offered my $8,000.

All of these factors combined lead me to cancel my order. And to this day, this was one of the best decisions I've ever made. That same car today is $67,000 plus tax - when I ordered it a year ago - it was about $80,000 plus tax. This is due to many features that I had ordered now being "standard".

I have many friends that went through with the purchase regardless of the incentive. And I must say - the car is gorgeous but it too is filled with flaws.
    As the OP had stated - those are some of the obvious. There's no mention of the bugginess of the software. I had the fortune of driving a fully loaded M3 this entire weekend and I can say with honesty - Tesla still has some work to do...

KiwiME and robxb like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. XtsKonaTrooper

XtsKonaTrooper Well-Known Member

I put my money down for a M3 standard plus but then found out, the standard model didnt really exist and that was one of the reasons i went to the plus version, to get the heated seats and leather interior. It left a sour taste in my mouth, being somewhat mislead.
    The other reason was repair facilities, and if the worse happened, it could generally take awhile to get it fixed.

The nice thing about the Kona, its not just an EV but there is an ICE version. So down the road, any non EV parts can be sourced because of the ICE version.

robxb and electriceddy like this.
  14. ehatch

ehatch Active Member

I am not sure about losing supercharging access,maybe warranty which is worse in my view.
    Understood an EV would be a premium to repair.Luxury worse. I am suspicious the cost of repair at a certified autobody shop may include an incentive given the prices posted from various incidents.There could be exceptional costs associated with being certified given Teslas aren't ubiquitous, yet.
    This enclosed link includes The Fast Lane Car's experience.Due to their YouTube channel,they likely[finally] received expedited assistance from Tesla. @KiwiME

https://www.tflcar.com/2019/06/tesla-model-3-repair-story/

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
    KiwiME likes this.
  15. I reject the premise. There is nothing about a Tesla that captures "my heart". And "my head" is not inherently less important than said heart. In other words, I didn't settle.

Brennan Raposo, ehatch and R P like this.
  16. My son has a Tesla M3 Long Range, upgraded interior and various other options (expensive). But I would take my Kona any day over the M3. Interior is very plain and sparse, and I really don't like that centre console, very distracting while driving. My son can't drive 5 min without looking and poking at it. It is also difficult to get in and out of. Besides very low seats, you have to really duck your head to get under the top door sill when entering. Tall people must have a big problem with that. Leather seats are very uncomfortable, too,... hard, not perforated, and no ventilation option.

But the big thing is that the range is not near as good as advertised. Supposed to be 525 kms, but usually falls far short of that in reality. I think the Kona range is just as good, maybe even better.

17. DelRider

DelRider Member

"Justification" is a bit strong. Dollar for dollar, for what I would want based on what is possible, the Tesla was just beyond my means. It never really entered the picture. The Model S is a HALO vehicle I aspire to have one day, but it is out of my range moreso than a Model 3. The choices were Kona (a 1.5 hr drive away in another state), Niro (a 2 hr drive away in another state), and a Bolt (next door). The Bolt is a fine vehicle, but online reviews convinced me that the Koreans had a bit more finesse, particularly w.r.t. suspension, and worth the short drive. The Niro was the true target, but the Kona dealer made sure that I did not leave without a mid-level Kona. All in all, three choices and each was a winner, regardless of final outcome; a very nice position to be in.

robxb likes this.
  18. robxb

robxb Active Member

Thanks for your opinion :)

KiwiME likes this.
  19. That's a big one. It's so easy to get distracted and I hate it. I love the little cell phone cubby. It's gone and you only use the big screen with the essentials.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

20. One difference here in NZ is that the Kona has been around for almost a year. The Model 3 is brand-spanking new, in RHD form of course. I haven't even seen one yet, but the first to arrive are just about to be delivered to their drooling customers. We already know that insurance costs are through the roof. My last ICE (2015 VW Cross Polo) cost $500/yr, the Kona $1100, an m3 reportedly $1700+. Servicing, especially collision repair, will be a nightmare, worse in the agricultural and provincial region I live in. But, the car will be a head-turner. The nearest supercharger location is a mere 140 km away but has four chargers, while there's only one for every other EV that passes through that very-busy central town. Those chargers have been there for a long time, years, and I've never seen a Tesla using them. The cost is 42 cents/kWh nationwide, a very reasonable rate compared to the 60+ cents 'open market' for the rest of us.
    I'm well-aware of the quality differences - the Kona is superb in manufacturing details such as paint and 'fit and finish' but lacking in cutting-edge and refined ergonomics, nevermind OTA updates. The Tesla is an industrial design award winner but may have detail quality issues easily found on pedantic close inspection. For an early adopter wanting to stay on the cutting edge, the Model 3 is an easy choice ... with understood risks and expenses. For someone wanting a reliable EV for everyday use, the Kona is an easy choice as well.

21. FloridaSun

The range of the Kona is indeed close to the long range Tesla Model 3.. 2 of my co-workers have one and I'm getting more range on my Kona than they get on their Model 3.. May be driving habit but it also may be that the M3 is overrated and the Kona is underrated. Today again.. on my way to work, I had a small traffic jam.. Usually, I get 5.7 mi/kwh commuting in the morning (no AC). Due to the slower traffic, I got 6.2 mi/kwh.. Sure, I'm not in a hurry in the morning and drive low 60's, but even if I would go at the 70 mph speed limit, I would get about 4.3 - 4.5 miles/kwh with the ac off.

ehatch, robxb, TheLight75 and 2 others like this.
  22. TheLight75

TheLight75 Active Member

I considered the M3 for all of about an hour back when they first came out. Sure, it's sexy and cutting edge, but it struck me as a very impractical car that would annoy me more than I would enjoy it. I don't like the simplistic interior and the need to do almost everything (include open the glove box) through the center screen. The fit-n-finish quality issues would drive me nuts and I'd worry about all the things that I can't see (re: the article last month that revealed lots of electrical tape and shoddy patches done on the assembly line to just get the M3's out). A poor service network and customer-relations nightmares were the icing on the cake for me. Once I own something expensive like a car and it needs service, I do not want to play games with crazy scheduling nor worry about needing to make multiple trips. My schedule is pretty tight, my job is demanding, so I need things taken care of quickly & correctly the first time.

After sitting in an M3 and playing with it about a month after I got my Kona, I'm very pleased with my choice. The leather & plastics in the M3 look & feel low-grade. The Kona doesn't have the highest-end plastics either, but it seems like a lot more effort was put into making the interior feel a bit "upgraded".

To each their own.

robxb and R P like this.
  23. The M3 is more of a vanity car, that I think will wear off. It was actually my son's wife that really wanted it, and at least on the outside, looks pretty good (high end). If it was just up to my son, I think he would have gone with a Volt or Bolt at the time (Kona was not yet available).

To their credit, though, they are driving it a lot, and also taking good advantage of free charging (mostly L2 until just recently with their new Chadeomo adapter). They have already put 55,000 kms on it in just 14 months.

That's another disadvantage of the M3. It is not free at the Tesla superchargers (like the S and X), and can't use CCS plugs. The Chadeoma adapter only recently became available and he had to pay $600 for it, so will need a lot of free fast charging to make up for that.