battery cooling active while car is off even after 5 minutes

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by ommatidia, Aug 26, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. ommatidia

ommatidia New Member

Today I drove back home from work as usual. The outside temperature was around 100F. I turned off the car, got out and locked it. I noticed the battery cooling was still active. I have never seen it before, it usually shuts off when I turn the car off. I went inside the house and came out 5 minutes later to check. I was still running. I unlocked, got in the car and turned it on. After a few seconds, turned off the car and the cooling finally stopped. This was strange. It can lead to high battery drain if it keeps running like that.
    Is there a reason for that? I expect it should stop the battery cooling after I turn off the car.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Mowcowbell

Mowcowbell Well-Known Member

In similar weather conditions, I have seen mine run for 5 minutes or so. I have a shop fan in my garage that I turn on when parking to assist the vehicle with battery cooling.

4sallypat likes this.
  4. jdonalds

jdonalds Well-Known Member

Happens to me quite often.

4sallypat likes this.
  5. 2002

2002 Well-Known Member

Wouldn't hurt to open the hood also.

6. sniwallof

sniwallof Active Member

I really like hearing the Clarity make odd noises in the garage, good to know that it's taking good care of itself. Also, I find the sounds very soothing, and it kinda reminds me of a cat :)

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I'd say the last thing you want is to do anything to stop your Clarity PHEV from keeping its HV battery as cool as possible. It's certainly worth a slight reduction in battery charge to help it live longer. Similarly, I believe that when the ICE fires up, it's not a good idea to restart the car to shut off the ICE before it's ready to shut off on its own.

9. 4sallypat

4sallypat Active Member

Try keeping the car in the shade or in a ventilated garage.
    I noticed the charge time is increased when the fans are running.
    Mine runs for over an hour sometimes, but then I am in 100+ degree weather here in the south west part of the nation.