Over-charging

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Tim Wingler, Aug 19, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Tim Wingler

Tim Wingler New Member

I have a Clarity that I drive 3 times a week for 50 miles. I have a Level 1 charger and I leave it plugged in all the time. Is that a good policy or should I be unplugging it after it is fully charged?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. sniwallof

sniwallof Active Member

To be on the safe side, unplug when thunderstorms are near. I leave my L2 plugged in most of the time, except for thunderstorms or if I'm doing a project where the plug sticking out is in my way as I walk by.

On the other hand, with L2, one advantage of staying plugged in is for remote climate pre-conditioning. I think that's less of an advantage for L1, don't remember, others can answer that one.

4. craze1cars

craze1cars Well-Known Member

Leaving plugged in is fine. It can’t overcharge.

markc and 4sallypat like this.
  5. ryd994

ryd994 Active Member

Even your phone knows to stop when full. How can a car that's 40x more expensive not?

markc likes this.
  6. fargledaer

fargledaer New Member

I drilled a hole through one of the battery packs so that excess charge can get out when the electrical pressure gets too high. Be careful though, it started an intense but small fire in my garage. Luckily my infant son was harnessed to my chest at the time so I avoided the worst of the blast and was able to extinguish the fire before it got out of control. Anyway, I don’t have to worry about overcharging anymore which is pretty great.

[Moderator note: He's kidding. Don't drill holes in your batteries. :)]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2019
    Kerbe and DapperDano like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Tim Wingler

Tim Wingler New Member

Thanks for the input. I read where leaving it plugged in would have a negative impact on the battery temperature. Smart appliances occasionally burst into flames for one reason or another. However, unplugging during thunderstorms sounds like a good idea. Thanks.

Domenick likes this.
  9. metabubble

metabubble New Member

When the battery is full, the charger is notified and a relay switch is stopping all flow of electricity.

Unplugging during a thunderstorm is recommended though, because lightning can also travel over the signaling wire and damage your car

10. fotomoto

fotomoto Active Member

No, that doesn't typically happen with PHEV's; cheap Chinese electronics are a different story though. As stated, possible voltage surges from a very close lightning strike could cause damages but other than that there are only positives (pun intended) to keeping it plugged in: won't miss a scheduled charge (BTDT), battery and electronics conditioning when needed (cooling mainly), and cabin pre-conditioning are the big ones. NOTE: 120v can't usually keep up with pre-conditioning so one tends to lose some EV miles/range.