Tricks to turning off blinker? Or just me?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Bender, Aug 15, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Bender

Bender Active Member

Doesn't happen all the time, but it's pretty aggravating and distracting when it does.

On my vehicle: Sometimes the blinker will not disengage moving the control back to the center. Or it will flip to the other direction and not disengage the other blinker. Something obvious I'm missing?

Ryan C likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

So you press the turn-signal lever all the way down before turning left and after you complete your turn the turn-signal lever flips all the way up and activates the right blinker, which continues blinking after you've turned? Is the problem repeatable and does it happen for both directions? That sounds like something the dealer should fix.

4. Bender

Bender Active Member

automatic stop-blinking (if you make a full turn, but usually not triggered by a lane change) works fine.

I mean if you are manually deactivating it, but pulling it back to the center. Such as after a lane change.

Alternately, I have found it also has the issue if when manually deactivating I go slightly past center (but not enough to click to the other side). Such as, blinker is to right. Move just slightly left of center when deactivating. Car starts blinkering left.

Cue me then nudging it slightly right to try to disable left and it starts blinking right, etc. Finally stops after a few seconds of fiddling with it...
    I have encountered the issue repeatedly but not "every" time, only once in a while.

Does yours activate the blinker if you just nudge it slightly one way or the other? (Not to click all the way down or up?). Try doing that. Then see if it's easy to get it to stop or does it just stop right away.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
  5. petteyg359

petteyg359 Well-Known Member

Yes, and it's meant to do that. It'll blink three times if you move it without locking it in that direction. If you keep pressing it in opposite directions every time, it's never going to stop...

Ryan C, Bender and insightman like this.
  6. Bender

Bender Active Member

*Puts on dunce cap and sits in the corner*

Thanks, good to know they intended it. Not sure why it makes sense or to not be able to stop it before it does 3 times, but all's good. Can't figure out what use 3 blinks would be for. Is there any state where it's legal to indicate a turn with only 3 blinks? (My state's the greater of 100 feet or 3 seconds before the turn or lane change and then through the change).

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Ryan C

Ryan C Member

I’ve noticed this. If I signal right then change my mind I can’t disengage without it signaling left then right then left. At one point I got so annoyed I just swerved and it reset. Another time I stopped and just turned the wheel and it reset. Didn’t say anything cause I thought it was just me.

9. It's intended for a lane change.

sniwallof likes this.
  10. Ryan C

Ryan C Member

When you’re done with that hat just let me know I’m in the other corner.

11. Let's see if I have this right (not a Clarity owner yet):
    If you fully select the turn signal (stalk latches in position) you can cancel like normal and the flashing stops immediately.
    If you press in the direction intended momentarily (without latching) the flashing won't stop until it's completed three flashes.

Do I have this right?

The solution then is to apply the turn signal with authority when signalling an actual turn.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. ab13

ab13 Active Member

This is called a one touch indicator, which used to only be on "luxury" cars many years ago, now it's common on new cars. If you only tap it will flash 3 times, not sure what the manual says, but normally you lightly touch to the opposite direction to cancel. Also, it might be possible to trigger 6 flashes by lightly tapping twice in the same direction, I'm not sure about that one, someone would have to try it. Best to try while sitting in a parked location.

Ryan C likes this.
  14. sniwallof

sniwallof Active Member

I think the problem is that the Clarity turn indicator does not cancel (?) with with a light touch in the opposite direction (my recollection, and slight annoyance). The thread is really interesting, because it sounds like the solution might be to go full-on in the same direction, and then back to center. I need to try it. Sounds like another training exercise, like going from a volume knob to the rocker volume control on the steering wheel. Works great, but initially painful to re-program one's self.

Clarified and Bender like this.
  15. 2002

2002 Well-Known Member

I have driven several cars over the years that have the "light/short " turn signal feature, first in Europe many years ago, it comes in handy there because you do a lot of lane changing due to the "drive right" mentality (and laws) in Europe where you stay to the right on four lane highways (two lanes in each direction) and you only use the left lane for passing.

All of them from what I remember are like Clarity, you cannot cancel the short turn signal. In fact for Clarity that is true even for the "click" turn signal as it will blink three times even if you immediately cancel it. Going in the opposite direction doesn't help as you are now committed to three blink in that direction, which can only be cancelled by signaling again in the original direction, and so on. So if you signal then immediately change your mind because you just realized there is a car in that lane you just have to suck it up and let it play out its three blinks. There is no way to tell the other driver "I have changed my mind" they will figure that out when the blinking stops.

16. ab13

ab13 Active Member

Then I guess the Civic must be similar, since the interior features are from the Civic. In the Toyotas I've driven, you can cancel by pushing the other way. I guess they didn't include all the "luxury" functionality for the Clarity.

17. craze1cars

craze1cars Well-Known Member

Every car of every brand I’ve owned or driven for the last 10 years or so does this...

It’s a one touch lane change feature. Tap and release to simply change lanes and you get 3 or 4 flashes. Push past the click and it stays on indefinitely to make a full turn and then auto cancel after turn. Change your mind just center the stalk by hand, and it’ll shut off soon enough.

18. JCA

JCA Active Member

I agree that this is how it's intended to work, and I agree that I don't really care for this feature. I'm perfectly capable of holding it in the "lane change" position as long as needed (which is usually longer than 3 seconds, as I keep signalling until I'm far enough into the other lane that there's no confusion what I'm doing), AND it's annoying when I signal once as I'm doing a final mirror/side look and decide to abort the change, but the turn signal keeps blinking for a few more seconds. AND for someone who doesn't realize it's a "feature" you keep clicking it back and forth the other direction to try to stop it, which it never does. Been there, done that :) My learner's-permit daughter also finds it unnecessary and confusing. My 2007 Civic doesn't do this, but I guess that car wasn't "luxury" enough!

19. 2002

2002 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if you are doing this to activate the side camera, but you can activate the camera at any time by pressing the button at the end of the stalk. If I know I have a lane change coming up like when getting near my exit I activate the camera and leave it on. Only thing is when you do the actual lane change including turn signal when the lane change is complete the camera stays on and you have to push the button to turn it off. I wish it would turn off automatically like it normally does but it's not a huge deal.

Also while on the topic of side camera a lot of people don't like when it comes on and blocks the nav screen which at a particular moment is what you more need to see. What many don't realize is you can always press the button on the stalk to turn it off.

20. I believe you can also configure the car to only turn it on with the button press.

21. JCA

JCA Active Member

Sorry, I wasn't clear -- no, I don't really use the side camera (thanks for reminding me to find the setting to not have it come on automatically). I just mean sometimes I start thinking about a lane change (left or right), start signalling as I'm doing one more look in the mirror, realize someone is closer than I'm comfortable with, so I want to abort the lane change and try again later (or not). Most important I don't want the other driver to think I'm still coming over and react or slow down (which means it'll be even longer before I can merge in behind them), so I'd rather not have the signal keep blinking.

Not the end of the world (like the missing AC on/off button that's only on the climate screen, grrrr), but I'd prefer it the simpler way on my other cars.

Bender likes this.
  22. MPower

MPower Well-Known Member

It drives me flipping crazy. I never had anything like this before. I always click all the way in one direction. If I change my mind, I try to turn the signal off by moving the stalk to the middle position (as I did with every other car I have owned since I got my licence over 5 decades ago), but instead it starts signaling in the opposite direction.

How did you all say to make it stop?

23. 2002

2002 Well-Known Member

I do the same thing sometimes but I try not to. And I do something similar with the reverse lights, my habit is with foot on the brake to put it in reverse and then start looking behind me. Seems perfectly safe but I try to remember that it can be disconcerting to cars passing behind me who assume that I am about to leap out of the spot. So I try to look first before putting it in reverse but it's hard to break habits sometimes. Even worse is if someone is in the car with me, they see a car passing by on the backup screen or in the mirror, and I have had people yell out because they thought I was about to back up into someone. Even if I say I know I saw them they are probably thinking "yeah right, then why did you put it in reverse?"