Tire Pressure

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by FlbrkMike, Aug 12, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. So this morning I got in my Kona EV for my commute to work, and when I started it up I immediately got a warning that my right rear tire was low. The graphic showed 27 psi in that tire, but 33 or 34 in the rest. I didn't have time to deal with it before going to work, so I drove the 17 miles to my office.

At lunch time I went to a close-by Shell station that has a car-wash and a couple of rows of vacuums, as well as an air and water station. I parked in front of the air compressor, and it had a coin slot asking for $1.50 in quarters, so I went into the office to get change for two singles, but the lady inside said never mind and turned the compressor on for me. When I got out to the car I found the the valve on the end of the hose didn't work, but just delivered a slow stream of compressed air whether or not you squeeze the trigger. Similarly, the gauge didn't work at all and, unfortunately, I haven't gotten around to putting a tire gauge in the car (I have about half a dozen of them sitting around the garage along with a 6 gal compressor). So, I filled the tire for about a minute with the slow air, then turned on the system, and the graphic still showed low pressure (29 psi). I went back and filled it for another minute or so and got it up to 30 (still showing the low pressure warning). At this point I decided enough is enough and drove back to the office intending to top it off when I got home.

At 4:00 pm when I left the office I started driving home and a couple of miles into the drive I decided to check the tire pressure on the display. When it came up it showed 51 psi!!! No warning or other indication of over pressure. I guess there's some delay in whatever system senses tire pressure, because it said 30 when I left the gas station. I checked all four tires a couple of hours after I got home, and three were perfect at 36 psi, while the right rear registered about 55 (perfect for my pickup but not for the Kona EV). They are now all at 36, but I guess I need to keep an eye on the right rear.

Moral of the story -- keep a tire gauge in your glove box and don't trust the graphic to be anything more than an idiot light warning you of low pressure.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Its funny how you can get a free charge at a lot of L2s but you have to pay a buck to get air:D

4. The way we're going, if you live in a city, you'll someday have to buy breathing air from a vending machine.

5. Just a heads up, the tire kit that comes with the car can be plugged into the 12V outlet inside the car and provide pressure to pump up the tire and it has a gauge on it too!

And you don't have to plug in the tire goo, thing. Just hook up the hose directly.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

FloridaSun, Gjpzee, Josh815 and 3 others like this.
  6. robxb

robxb Active Member

You can already buy oxygen in a can :p https://vitalityair.com/

7. To remove this ad click here.