First road trip since purchasing the Kona

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by FloridaSun, Aug 9, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

Stopped again at the mall this morning to get to 100% so that I won't have to worry about making it home.. 50 minutes remaining..

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. FloridaSun

Finished charging and moved my car.. Will spend some more time at the mall and then heading back home for 210 miles.. 20190811_132943.jpg

4. FloridaSun

Back from the trip.. Horrible rain storm on the way home. Rain was so heavy for the first 50 miles that I only got 3.0 miles/kwh. Only got 4.0 miles/kwh on the entire way home due to bad weather.. Arrived with 19% and 45 miles remaining. Glad that I was able to charge to 100% before leaving Fort Lauderdale. I likely would not have made it on 80%.
    Total cost for the 550 mile trip... approx. $3.50.
    All my charges in Fort Lauderdale were free.. Still not sure why ElectrifyAmerica gave me a 100% discount on my charge. If I would have paid, my total cost for the 550 mile trip would have been $17.. still peanuts.. With my wife's Van, we would have spent $80 on gasoline..

Joev and SkookumPete like this.
  5. SkookumPete

SkookumPete Well-Known Member

The other day I saw a Model S tethered via Chademo to a free 50 kW charger, which reported 22 hours remaining. It soon left, with others waiting, but you have to wonder why they bothered at all.

6. FloridaSun

22 hours on a 50kw charger. That makes
    no sense.. Even the 100kwh battery should charge within 2 hours at 50kw speed

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. The ABB cj50 DCFC machines here are constantly glitchy , it doesn't surprise me that the Tesla adapter charging process won't communicate properly.

9. FloridaSun

Interesting.. didn't know about that..

10. Great info thanks for the report!
    I reference to your trip to Fort Lauderdale, Do you recall your miles/kw on the way there?

Joe