Charging cables included with Canadian Leaf and Leaf+

Discussion in 'LEAF' started by Bugblndr, Aug 8, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Bugblndr

Bugblndr Member

I'm just curious what EVSE cables are included with the current generation Leaf? Also, what connectors for outlets the cables have and what amps they can draw?

I've got a Kona Electric coming next week and just set my house up with an outlet and charging station for it. My cousin is planning on buying a Leaf this fall and we will need to set up charging for both our vehicles at the family cottage.

I was going to put in a Nema 14-50 outlet but charging at 32A on my Level 2 Charger there could be expensive and problematic due to existing service, panels and wiring. A Nema 6-20 with a 16A Level 2 charger could work for my needs but I'm not sure what the Leaf comes with.

Thanks for any help.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Kenneth Bokor

Kenneth Bokor Active Member

Hi, the MY2018 and higher Leafs provide a L1 and L2 charger. Supports up to 6.6kW charging.

This EVSE has a NEMA 14-50 plug, and then an adapter that plugs into the 14-50 that converts it to a regular NEMA 5-15 120V household plug. So, when fed 120V, the EVSE charges at 12A, and when fed at 240V, it charges at 30A (or at least that's what the ratings on the label are). See picture. Also comes with a bracket to hang onto a wall. Nice touch from Nissan saving the cost of another EVSE if you have the plug for this.

4. Bugblndr

Bugblndr Member

Thanks!

I have a NEMA 14-50 plug and a 32A charger at home. Was planning on putting the same circuit at the cottage but decided it was cheaper to just buy a 3.6 KW 16A Level 2 EVSE and install a NEMA 6-20 plug.

40A would have been pushing it on the existing subpanel and would've required an expensive rewire. 120V charging would've been too slow to get home after a weekend. 240V at 16A seems like a good compromise.

5. KENNY

KENNY New Member

Hi Ken,

Do you know if there is a way to make the 2018 Leafs EVSE charge at only 3.3kW instead of 6.6kW when plugged into a NEMA 14-50?

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

6. Kenneth Bokor

Kenneth Bokor Active Member

Hi I am unaware of how to set that sorry.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. It only cost me $250 to install a Nema 14-50 outlet in my garage. I just use the level 2 included with my Leaf+. Its an understated value with the Leaf to have a level 2 included. Its also helpful if you need to charge at campgrounds.