Access file system through stock browser on head unit

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Arctiic, Aug 10, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. I usually use a 3rd party application like X-plore to do this, but today I just found out while randomly glancing through some XDA threads, there's a way to do it through the default browser!

1) Have developer mode enabled (see XDA)
    2) Open browser and navigate to `about:debug`
    3) Once activated (btw, this also enables use of in-line javascripts), navigate to `file:///`

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. 2002

2002 Well-Known Member

There is an app called Honda Hack that you can install, it sets it so that the browser is always available so that you don't have to go into developer mode every time. Doesn't seem to do that much else but automates at least that basic part of it, also lets you turn off the "Read this then click OK" message that appears when you start the car.

4. petteyg359

petteyg359 Well-Known Member

You never have to do anything but click the icon on the screen to get to the browser...

5. 2002

2002 Well-Known Member

You are making an assumption that everyone has the browser icon, they don't. My understanding is that only hacked systems display the browser icon all the time, everyone else has to go through several screen presses, secret handshakes and tapping their ruby red slippers every time they want to use it. Unless some cars like yours for some reason came with the app screen unrestricted.

app list.JPG

Red slippers.JPG
    app list2.JPG

6. I run Chrome on mine, despite the limited resources. Even with all the tweaks available, the default browser still renders some sites incorrectly. And yeah, I had to run with HH eventually gave up on figuring out how to whitelist services without bricking it. Now that the DHU emulator is available I can play around with that in my spare time, but I don't have much time to dedicate to that.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

@Arctiic : You are clearly a very competent (and brave) Android expert...

I wish you had a Touring model because the built-in navigation is crippled by a distracted driver setting. I tried (unsuccessfully) to come up with a solution, even if temporary, to allow a passenger to interact with the navigation. There was a way to do this in other Hondas with an almost identical diagnostics menu, but the relevant entry does not seem to exist in the Clarity. You can see some details of failed attempts in this thread:
    https://www.insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/how-to-access-hidden-infortainment-settings-and-driving-restrictions.4642

If you encounter something in your experimentation that may apply, please let us know !

9. It's definitely doable, I know it has something to do with the internal parking brake check. I'll have to try and find the XDA post again, but I'll link it here when I do.

10. David in TN

David in TN Well-Known Member

I don't recall exactly, but one of my previous Honda's (2016 Fit, maybe?) you had to physically pull a wire from the back of the head-unit. I think in that case it was yellow. It was the wire that sent the signal that the parking brake was released. By disconnecting it, the head-unit functioned as if you were parked at all times.

Probably need some research into Honda Service manual for specifics on this scenario.

11. I don't know if there's such a method for the Clarity, but I do know for a fact there is an electronic bypass method, at least for the 2018 Clarity Plugin Hybrid non-Touring. I'm just having trouble finding the post on how it's done (Honda Hack Pro has that functionality if you don't care about forking out $25).

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Happened to learn some info on this so I thought I'd post an update for record retention. The wire you're referring to is the VSP (vehicle speed pulse) wire, for which pinouts can be searched up online. It seems as of '17 models the physical bypass method no longer works, but as I mentioned before this can still be electronically bypassed. An annoying side-effect of this is the HMU backend will continously generate error logs since the sensor will report NG back to HMU, which eventually bloats your already meager internal storage (you can clear the logs via the Diagnostics menu).