comma.ai. Would you do it?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by loomis2, Jul 4, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Evfred

Evfred Member

I actually have the parts on order and will be installing in a month or so (out of country). Will post an update when done!

cokeb5, Mike J and fotomoto like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Ceetee

Ceetee Member

I have it on mines, and it's better than the stock system. I only use it on long trips via freeway (e.g. 2hr+ drives) as that's where it excels and is designed for.

It's not official supported by comma yet, but there's a community in discord that can help get you started.

4. Mike J

Mike J Member

Awesome! Looking forward to your update!

5. Mike J

Mike J Member

Can you elaborate a bit more? Eg. Does it handle the acceleration/stopping more smoothly? Handles turns more accurately? How difficult was the installation?

6. Ceetee

Ceetee Member

Overall, it does a better job at keeping the car center in the lane and responding to freeway traffic flow (acceleration, deceleration). The couple exceptions are both systems (stock vs comma) don't do well with sharper bends (turns) on the road, I believe it has something to do with hardware lock/limiter on this car. The other exception is rush hour traffic on freeway, both do it kinda poorly (I saw some videos suggesting the honda civic w comma might do it better with stop n go traffic?). The installation was easy/moderate difficulty for me.

More info here https://community.comma.ai/wiki/index.php/FAQ

And here https://medium.com/@clarity.bru/honda-clarity-with-openpilot-197b8f6c2876

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
    ryd994 and Mike J like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. fotomoto

fotomoto Active Member

Please do.

I've looked into this and joined the commai/discord community earlier this summer but frankly find the discussions above my paygrade. AFAICT, it's still not truly plug and play, needs frequent attention (many minor updates which is a good thing!) and (usually) daily downloads of ones trip videos back to the comma.ai via your home wifi. Like has been said, there is not much support for the Clarity (not officially supported) simply due to less sold + it has a slightly different system than the Civic and Accords.

TIP: get the more expensive panda (grey) as that is the next level hardware and more future proof. Current pricing with shipping is about $900.

9. Mike J

Mike J Member

Thank you.

10. iHack

iHack New Member

I made my own Eon, and I soldered the ODBII connector myself, so I got Openpilot running for less than $200.

But I would definitely recommend just buying it off the website.

The car performs great in stop and go. Unlike stock ACC when the car stops, it'll automatically resume when the car in front moves forward.

Cash Traylor and Mike J like this.
  11. Mike J

Mike J Member

How did you do it?

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. ryd994

ryd994 Active Member

I'm also interested. What hardware should I buy?
    I see:
    • EON "dashcam"
    • "Eric's" Giraffe
    • Panda. Do I need another on OBDII? Or one on Giraffe is enough
    • GPS Antenna and cover

14. Evfred

Evfred Member

Mostly yes! Just the one panda is fine and the grey panda comes with the gps. That’s optional though, I purchased the white panda without GPS so I didn’t have something else on my windshield.

15. iHack

iHack New Member

If you really want to do it yourself, join the discord. They'll have all the information you need.

16. RYU

RYU New Member

I've been following the Discord for a few months as well but haven't had enough to really wade in. Open source... can be.. well open source but the community there seems really helpful. Kudos to the guys!

Quick question... The one disappointment with the OEM ACC is it's really quite slow at regaining speed after a stop or slow down when the car ahead accelerates. One time I even had someone behind me honk. Does this improve with Openpilot?

BTW... the OEM Honda ACC still works better than the BMW ACC I had in my previous i3.

17. fotomoto

fotomoto Active Member

A couple of things..... when accelerating from a stop, ACC's in general tend to obey traffic laws and utilize the 2 second buffer unlike most drivers so it's allowing the distance between you and the vehicle ahead to increase. This creates enough distance that the impatient driver behind you thinks they could be in!

Secondly and more specific to the Clarity, have you tried ACC + sport mode? It accelerates more aggressively vs Default/Auto or Econ modes. Finally (and back to the first thing), make sure the following distance is set to 1 instead of 4 car lengths.

18. RYU

RYU New Member

That's great feedback. Thank you. Will give it a try!

19. ab13

ab13 Active Member

You can always step on the accelerator pedal at any time, it will resume when you release the pedal.

These systems use the largest safety margin, otherwise people would start suing if the vehicle were to collide.

20. cokeb5

cokeb5 Member

I think it looks really interesting - unfortunately they deleted the Honda Clarity specific channel in their Discord so that information and history of support/help is by and large gone.

21. fotomoto

fotomoto Active Member

I just checked and the comma_clarity discord board is there and running. I've never seen an active/running Clarity model channel in the main community just the Honda-Acura but then again I'm a newbie and rare lurker there.

cokeb5 likes this.
  22. cokeb5

cokeb5 Member

Ah okay, looks like comma_clarity is the replacement channel. They also have an archive of the old channel pinned in there so the information is still available. :)

fotomoto likes this.
  23. Mike J

Mike J Member

Hey, was wondering if you got a chance to install it and if so how's it?