Compared the Canada and US Version of the Kona Electric

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by FloridaSun, Jul 29, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

Looks like in Canada, you get a lot more standard equipment on the base model (especially the Adaptive Cruise Control) for less money. I guess that we get the better battery warranty instead..
    Canada Preferred: $44999 Current exchange rate 0.76, = US $34200
    All that with tons more standard equipment..
    US SEL Model: $36950, $2000 more than in Canada with less equipment.. Am I missing something here?

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. SkookumPete

SkookumPete Well-Known Member

What I find odd is that the US model doesn't have the roof rails. Where are Californians supposed to carry their surfboards?

KiwiME and electriceddy like this.
  4. FloridaSun

I guess you can always have one installed..

5. You pretty much nailed it, its one of the rare few times a Canadian seemingly gets a market break. Unfortunately "the better US battery warranty" is questionable. The US lifetime battery warranty is to the original owner only and it specifically warranties manufacturing defect and avoids language about battery degradation. While the Canadian warranty is a very specific 8 year/160,0000 km and covers battery replacement if it falls under 70% capacity.
    I could imagine a US warranty claim be questionably declined on the basis of battery degradation only, as degradation is considered normal and not a defect. Conversely a Canadian warranty claim could be questionably challenged on basis what exactly is 70% degradation. Is it 70% of the virtual or actual battery capacity and how is capacity measured to what baseline?

6. To remove this ad click here.

7. FloridaSun

I spent a lot of time on the phone with Hyundai USA (before I bought the car), asking them about their battery warranty and I used an example of 65% capacity and they said that they would replace it if it has degraded to that point. I did not specifically ask about what the exact % of degradation was but they assured me that if it is at 65%, they would replace it.

8. That is good that they at least verbally acknowledge some form of coverage for degradation.

9. That's easy:

[​IMG]

10. popnfrresh

popnfrresh Member

Canadian monthly vehicle health report is also not as useless as the US version. My report gives me green check marks and NO other information.

11. To remove this ad click here.

12. Roy A.

Roy A. New Member

hi, did you get to ask 65% of what capacity? is it of the published 258mi range?

13. FloridaSun

The range really has nothing to do with it as it depends on driving style and heater/AC use. When I'm talking about 65% capacity, I'm talking about actual battery capacity.. If the usable kwh when new is 64 kwh and now it has a capacity of 42.25 kwh, it is now at 65% capacity. I'm not sure how this is determined and how much information can be obtained via a scan tool.. I personally believe that Hundai will not give customers a hard time if they experience a significant range drop as it would be a PR nightmare for them as people would go public with complaints..

14. Brennan Raposo

Brennan Raposo Well-Known Member

Just to throw this into the mix - It's also been reported that American dealers are selling their vehicles over MSRP.
    That's not legal in Canada. Dealers are only allowed to sell AT or BELOW MSRP.

AlopeX, Kitsilano and Domenick like this.
  15. FloridaSun

I personally believe in the free market and competition.. I have bought many cars out of state as I got a better deal outside of Florida as many dealers either charge over MSRP or find creative ways to charge more like overpriced "dealer installed options" like $500 floor mats etc.. If I buy a new car, I shop nationwide for the best deal.. Flights are cheap enough these days to buy out of state and drive home the car. I'm in Florida and I've bought cars in Connecticut, Ohio, Massachusetts, Maryland, Georgia and Texas before.. I buy wherever I get the best price.. Screw overpriced local dealers. If everyone would do what I do, it would put those dealers who are overcharging out of business.

16. Kitsilano

Kitsilano Active Member

Regulations protecting citizens versus markets exploited by greedy merchants (who love ideologues).

17. FloridaSun

I personally believe in the free market, competition and supply and demand. The US has become the worlds biggest economical power because of Capitalism. I left Europe 22 years ago to come to the US for capitalism and close to zero regulation.

18. Kitsilano

Kitsilano Active Member

Happy to hear that you enjoy life in the unregulated Excited States of America. I left the "land of the glee" 56 years ago, a veteran of one of the nation's unfinished wars. Now both I and BlueKonaEV can enjoy a good car made in another land with too many graveyards.

Jared Potter and XtsKonaTrooper like this.
  19. FloridaSun

I'm Libertarian and against all those unnecessary wars. They are a result of corporatism and political payback for donations. All those defense contractors donate a lot to politicians on both sides and the never ending wars are payback.. Unfortunately, the political corruption causes corporatism, not capitalism. I'm against the 2 party dictatorship in the US but I'm for real capitalism. I'm a capitalist who buys, remodels and flips houses, rents them out etc. Thing like that are much more difficult to do with regulations like in Europe or even in other US states with more regulations than Florida..

20. Kitsilano

Kitsilano Active Member

Peace, brother. We fortunately live in peace.
    I agree that the Corporation is a dangerous institution.
    And happily we enjoy our small and sturdy Konas.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
    SkookumPete likes this.
  21. FloridaSun

For sure!! The main issue in this country is legalized corruption (aka corporate donations and Super PAC's).. Well, enough for the politics talk..

On a side note, breaking 4000 miles on the Kona today after just over 1 month of ownership.. 4000 enjoyable miles so far!

22. Got me beat! Maybe start a new thread on most Kona mileage. I would probably be at the bottom - 3588 km in 5 months and 7 days.:p