is Hondalink free or subscription?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by smith ho, Feb 5, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. MNSteve

MNSteve Well-Known Member

Then don't use it.

Seriously, it has a "Find Stations" function that seems to work reasonably well, along with "Search for places" that finds ATMs or food nearby. It has the parking location. And yes, it shows current odometer and oil life. Not as useful as with the Clarity, but still free.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Ray B

Ray B Active Member

By the way I found an interesting paper from Honda (https://www.hondarandd.jp/point.php?pid=871&lang=en) that describes the TCU system and how it pulls data from all the electric cars into a database for their use. Here are a couple of figures that describe the key elements.

tcu_charts.png

Pegsie, KentuckyKen and insightman like this.
  4. Ray B

Ray B Active Member

5. rickyrsx

rickyrsx Active Member

About 1 year after my purchase date, all the remote features stopped working so I called HondaLinkTM support and they said I need to pay for the Link package, which includes remote climate control, Find My Car, Charging status updates, etc.. He told me only the Basic package is free, which includes Recall reminders, booking service appointments, vehicle guides. Maybe it's free in the US only? The Canadian HondaLinkTM page says the Link package is only free for a trial period but if guys in Canada are getting it free after 1 year, please let me know how you got it!!
    https://www.honda.ca/hondalink/cv/clarity/overview

6. MarkClarity

MarkClarity Active Member

I think they my be confusing the subscription status with vehicles other than the Clarity. The Honda Canada web site (www.honda.ca/clarity/hondalink-features) clearly says that no subscription is required for HondaLink on the clarity.

upload_2019-7-25_19-24-53.png

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. rickyrsx

rickyrsx Active Member

Screen Shot 2019-07-26 at 4.16.03 AM.png Screen Shot 2019-07-26 at 4.16.14 AM.png
    I see that on the website too so it's confusing. However on the actual HondaLinkTM page, not the Clarity page, there are conditions in the fine print. I'll call them back and throw what you said in their face and see what they say. Maybe I'm getting jobbed.

9. rickyrsx

rickyrsx Active Member

Update...all my remote stuff starting working again this morning. Weird but I'll take it. Saves me from having to make another phone call.

10. Raymondca

Raymondca Member

Well, get used to it... It happened several times to me already. Sometimes I was asked to pair the Bluetooth again, before I could do that it got back to normal. All kinds of strange behaviours. Rule of thumb is to kill the app process, wait a while, or even reinstall the app.

11. Olive

Olive New Member

Thanks for letting us know. You had me worried. Hahahaha! Seriously, this APP is often glitchy. It’s great when it works but a pain in the arsh when you have to completly close and reopen it to make it do it’s job.
    I’m glad there is hope to keep it free of subscription.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
    rickyrsx likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. LegoZ

LegoZ Active Member

Today for me remote command for climate not working.

14. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Did you try starting pre-conditioning with the key fob? If that doesn't work either, then perhaps the interior temperature of your Clarity was within the "we Clarity engineers think the temperature's fine" zone.

Olive likes this.
  15. LegoZ

LegoZ Active Member

It was 102F in the cabin, I had to mess with schedule to get it to finally work and then we had shut off the ac to dry the coil so it doesn’t the musty smell and my wife forgot to turn it back on so fail all around. I am not sure if it would work if I tried it again.