2019 Bolt EV

Discussion in 'Bolt EV' started by Ronald Carr, Jul 27, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Ronald Carr

Ronald Carr New Member

I have a 2019 Bolt. I have a charge cord for a level 1 charger and a level 2 charger. In our Visitors' Parking charging outlets have been installed for Teslas. My question is twofold: a) can i obtain an adapter to plug into the level 3 outlet and b) will the increased charge cause any harm to the vehicle?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. evpleb

evpleb New Member

Firstly, you would have to have paid for the fast-charging capability upgrade on your Bolt (it was a $750 upgrade when I bought my 2017). You can tell if you have the capability to fast charge if there's an orange flap covering your DC port as in this image:http://www.wind-works.org/cms/uploads/RTEmagicC_Chevy_Bolt_Charge_Port_Snip_01.JPG.jpg

However, there are two types of Tesla charging stations. One is called a destination charger and the other is a supercharger. I assume what you are referring to is a supercharger, as you referred to it as Level 3. In that case, you will not be able to charge at those stations regardless of whether you have the fast charging option or not. Chevy Bolts use a different standard and plug called CCS or Combo chargers. As of yet, Tesla is not sharing their supercharging network with anyone.

In the event that it is a Tesla destination charger, there is something called a JDapter that converts the Tesla plug into a J-1772 plug. I have no experience with these but you could look into that if it is indeed a destination charger and not a supercharger. To be clear though, this is not Level 3 charging. It would be Level 2.

But basically, you can only fast charge your bolt at a DC Fast Charging station that has a CCS or Combo plug.
    Hope that gets you on the right path.