Waiting List for CA $1500 CVRP rebate....

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by NocEdit, Jul 22, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. NocEdit

NocEdit Member

So, I'm on the waiting list for the CA CVRP rebate for my Clarity and I came across this little article...

https://www.sfchronicle.com/politics/article/California-bill-could-triple-rebates-for-electric-14077416.php#photo-17814322

If this happens... It sounds like the Clarity rebate could increase as well.. but I doubt it would be retroactive for buyers before the bill passed. Makes buying the Hyundai Kona or Kia Niro a whole hell of a lot more affordable if this passes. That would be $15K off purchase price for those vehicles combining the State and Fed rebate. And if the bill being kicked around congress to extend and increase the FED EV rebate actually happens. Then you could get $15K off on a Tesla Model 3 in 2020 potentially?!!?

Although I think Musk would raise the price of his Tesla's if that happened... they need to make profit.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. 4sallypat

4sallypat Active Member

Well this bill would certainly cause a huge jump in EV sales for sure.
    I wonder if the bill mentions what rebates would be proposed for PHEV or alternate fuel cars ???

4. MajorAward

MajorAward Active Member

Looks like its relative to savings:

Section1:
    (B) A starting rebate level for all battery electric vehicles and hydrogen fuel cell vehicles, designated as the benchmark rebate level, in an amount that does not exceed seven thousand five hundred dollars ($7,500) per vehicle.
    (C) Rebate levels, if any, for plug-in hybrid electric vehicles that reflect, relative to the benchmark rebate level, those vehicles’ contribution to achieving the state’s greenhouse gas and air pollution emissions reduction goals.

5. bfd

bfd Active Member

The board would have to come up for a rebate amount for purchasers of plug-in hybrid cars such as the Honda Clarity, some Toyota Priuses and the soon-to-be-discontinued Chevrolet Volt, which run on gasoline when their electric batteries are spent. Most plug-in hybrid buyers now receive a $1,500 rebate.

Ting said he doesn’t see a need to subsidize the “intermediate technology” of hybrids in the future, noting that the cars don’t have a long battery range.

I think the bolded part pretty much leaves PHEVs out of the conversation unless they can agree on what a "long battery range" for a PHEV might be. The bottom line on this seems to be to incentivize BEVs and thereby reduce vehicle emissions to zero (at least at the tailpipe). Some of the other clean/renewable energy acts that have come before this act should help ensure that energy production emissions in California are also as close to zero as possible (though in the Western Grid altogether, that's going to be a tough "act" to bring to fruition…)

Another though I have had recently is that as the Big 3 Power Companies in California have to deal with the huge cost of remaining in business (due to legislation about wildfire responsibility), a shift from fossil fuel to electric energy for California vehicles will certainly not hurt the Big 3's "new" bottom line…

MajorAward likes this.