EV Range highs and lows

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Mattsburgh, Apr 15, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

Tags:
  1. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

According to the GoM, I'm on track to 357 miles range.. Started out at 100% charge this time. 5.9 mi/kwh seems to be the best efficiency that I can come up with.. 20190716_121553.jpg

electriceddy likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. That's awesome. I've been averaging between 4.8 and 5.3 miles/kwh. Just recently charged to 88% and the GOM is predicting a 298 mile range. Now if I can just figure out how to get back and forth to work by going downhill both ways ;-)

IMG_5336.PNG

electriceddy and Esprit1st like this.
  4. FloridaSun

I'm on track to get over 360 miles on my current charge.. 20190717_114225.jpg 20190717_114236.jpg

5. It looks like you're on track for 416, no?
    208 (@50%)X2=416 (100%) Why 360?

6. FloridaSun

Based on the GoM... Based on my energy consumption it would be 5.9 mi/kwh x 64 kwh (usable battery capacity) = 377.6 miles. Charge is at 47%, not 50%...
    Based on GoM, 365.5 miles range and based on my mi/kwh - it's 377.6 miles range.
    I'm travelling at reasonable speeds but I absolutely minimize AC use.. I only turn it on once it becomes unbearable in the car.. I'm just doing that when I try to maximize range.. Once I finish this charge, I'll start running the AC a lot more.. I just want to see what is possible in fairly normal driving conditions on my daily commute.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
    electriceddy likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Looks like we may have to start a 350 Mile Club!

9. FloridaSun

The record for a Kona is 516 miles on one charge which was achieved by driving in circles on a track at 25 mph / 40 km/h.. It's on youtube..

10. FloridaSun

My house got hit by a Cat 2 Hurricane 2 years ago.. The eye of Hurricane Irma hit my house at Category 2. Luckily, it's a block home and I already had all trees close to the house removed, so I had zero damage..

electriceddy and CJC like this.
  11. To remove this ad click here.

12. FloridaSun

Update on my current charge. Finally broke 6.0 mi/kwh. GOM has adjusted and now shows a total range (miles driven + miles range) of 381.3 miles. That seems to be very accurate based on my usage. 6.0 mi/kwh x 64 kwh = 384 miles.. GoM is withing 2.7 miles of that.

20190718_061754.jpg
    20190718_061756.jpg

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
  13. KonaTom

KonaTom Well-Known Member

I can see that ICE owners try to hypermile as it saves expensive gas, but I can’t understand why so many people are hypermiling with their Konas evs. The savings in costs are minimal compared to gas. Just drive the car and enjoy it!! Achieving 500km (300 miles) just means the car was driven at city speeds mostly or too slow on highway. Not really meaningful to others.

14. FloridaSun

For me, this is just a test on what ia possible in real life traffic and not on a circular track at a constant slow speed. My test is at my actual commute, going about 5 mph slower than I usually would and not using the AC. Once the test is completed, I will go back to my normal driving habits. It is good to know what range is possible in case of having to reach a charger on a road trip.

electriceddy, Esprit1st and R P like this.
  15. FloridaSun

I'm well over 300 miles on my current charge.. Should be over 360 miles when I connect to the charger later today.. GoM adjusted to around 390 miles of range. Miles/kwh is up to 6.1 as I drove 2 mph slower than before as I want to make sure that I will make it home after work today. 20190719_062334.jpg
    20190719_062331.jpg

electriceddy likes this.
  16. Works out to Avg. 35 mph (56 kph), must be all city driving and on flat roads, am I right?

17. FloridaSun

Nope, that was on my daily commute. 22 miles on Highway each way at 56 to 61 mph and some city traffic to drive to lunch every day. Stop and go.. Regeneration set to level 3. I baraly ever use my brakes. Just hit 358.8 miles.. I'm in Florida, so all flat roads.. Virtually no AC use..

20190719_115655.jpg

electriceddy likes this.
  18. Dan Pasch

Dan Pasch Member

Well ive hit the 300 mile club, i've had my car for almost 4 weeks and every day it impresses me more and more. my driving is a mix of highway and city, with fair bit of flat but a few good bits of hilly area's. if im mathing right that's like 323 miles and 5.4 miles/kw. its kinda fun trying to see how good you can be on the throttle to be super efficient but not be that guy that is slowing everyone down
    1.jpg 2.jpg

FloridaSun and electriceddy like this.
  19. Congratulations!
    Make sure to post here so we can keep track of these:

https://insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/kona-ev-300-mile-club.6098/

17 degrees C , where is your location?

20. Dan Pasch

Dan Pasch Member

electriceddy likes this.
  21. FloridaSun

Wow, that's hotter than here in Florida.. We hit up to 37 C on a hot day. Average however is 34 to 35 from June to September and 29 to 32 in October..

22. Dan Pasch

Dan Pasch Member

its normally not that bad, usually june/july its 25-30 but weve been getting some pretty hot weather the past few days it was 27 today so i was quite happy with the 17 tonight