Level 2 Charging for under $20

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Mowcowbell, May 7, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Understood. I would generally like a solution where you don’t need second adapter for your adapter! Each additional one adds another point of failure. As melted adapters show.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Got the 14-50 plug yesterday and wired it up today:

upload_2019-6-29_12-9-27.jpeg

I had the inline 120v receptacle and the cable lying around. I left off the neutral spade since it’s not used - just two hots and a ground.

I plugged it into one of our RV pedestals and it tests OK. The only thing a little odd is that I’m measuring 260v across the spades and 130v between either spade and ground. At the house it’s more like 245v and 125v respectively at our 30A outlet there. I’m guessing it might be because of the heavier gauge wire running to the RV yard and maybe the fact that it’s closer to the transformer.

Does that sound right?

4. 2002

2002 Well-Known Member

Neutral pin might have helped with support, did you just feel it was safer not connecting to the RV outlets neutral? Or maybe just another visual reference that this is not an ordinary cable?

5. This. Just a reminder no neutral is involved. The plug engages very solidly without it.

Pretty academic, I think - I don’t expect anyone other than myself to use it, and then only rarely.

6. Today we had our first chance to try out charging from zero to full using the 240v adapter cable and stock charger.

1) It took about 5 1/2 hours in 90° heat.

2) Nothing got any warmer than usual.

3) My house didn’t burn down.

I’d call it a success!

2002 and Mowcowbell like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. 2002

2002 Well-Known Member

Time for a victory lap, then you can charge it some more!

9. Sure looks like it. Possible to fabricate one for a bit less, but seems like a fair price.

10. To remove this ad click here.

11. janfeb

janfeb New Member

craze1cars likes this.
  12. M. Shah

M. Shah Member

Amazon reviews say people are using their Chevy EVSE for 220 volt charging

13. The Gadgeteer

The Gadgeteer Active Member

For about $200 you can get a proper 220 volt EVSE

14. I’m still surprised that anyone would sell a device that feeds 240v into a receptacle designed for 120v. The potential liability seems huge. I fully recognize the risk that exists for the two adapters I fabricated, but attempted to minimize it by clearly marking the female end “240V ONLY!!!”. That, plus the fact that I’m the only one using the adapters makes that small risk acceptable.

But before buying one, I would make absolutely sure it does what you think it does - feeds one 120v leg into each blade socket of the 15A receptacle, plus the ground to the ground socket. Otherwise it accomplishes nothing other than letting you tap 120v from a 240v receptacle - and without a separate neutral, which itself can pose its own hazards and problems for circuits that might be GFCI protected.

15. David in TN

David in TN Well-Known Member

...and that's why I have BOTH! :)

Honda EVSE: 120-volt, 12.5 hour charge from empty
    Honda EVSE: 240-volt, 6 hour charge from empty
    ZenCar EVSE: 120-volt, 8.5 hour charge from empty
    ZenCar EVSE: 240-volt, 4 hour charge from empty

ZenCar EVSE stays in my trunk, and I use it at work and travel locations, unless I just need a faster charge, at home, than 6 hours.
    Honda EVSE is mounted in my garage and I have both outlets next to each other, and I choose according to what is needed. 90% of the time I charge on 120-volt, but it works fine on the 240.

16. Raymondca

Raymondca Member

I got my Mustart Level 2 Portable EVSE and have used it for 2 weeks. It's the best deal on my Clarity I have got so far (CDN$ 459). It is a no-frill gadget, doesn't come with Wi-Fi. But with 7.68KW and 32 Amp, the charging time is short, don't have to monitor the state all the time. If I do want to check, I just need to open the garage door and take a peek at the LED lights, or lived with the Hondalink app with huge delay... It doesn't snap with a crispy sound like the original one when I plug it in. But it works and gets better after a few days, as the manual says. They should improve it but generally, I'm happy.
    Comparing with many 6-KW public charging stations, the difference is noticeable. If your garage wiring supports 32-40Amp, I really don't recommend 16Amp EVSE. 6 hours are better than 12, but still long. If you run errands on Saturday morning and come back with the battery depleted, with 32Amp you can go out again after lunch with a fully-charged car.

17. bpratt

bpratt Active Member

I purchased a Jekayla 40 Amp charger 18 months ago and it has worked perfectly. No Wi-Fi, but it will charge my car with the battery at 0 miles in 2 hours 5 minutes. The 32 amp version can be purchased from Amazon for $289 but it only has a 16 foot cable. The 40 amp version is $339 and comes with a 25 foot cable.

18. We also have a home in N GA. A few years ago we installed an RV power post some distance from the house to power our travel trailer or guest’s RV’s:

[​IMG]

We installed a 20A outlet and two 30A RV outlets, protected by these breakers:

[​IMG]

The whole shebang runs through a 70A breaker at the house.

Yesterday I spent just under $30 at Home Depot for a 14-50R receptacle, a double 50A breaker and some 6ga, 3 wire cable with ground. Replaced one of the 30A outlets today:

[​IMG]

I’ve already fabricated an adapter to power the stock charging cable from a 14-50R outlet with 240V, as mentioned upthread.

The times we may need quicker charging than 120V provides will be few and far between, but it will be nice to have the option.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
    Mowcowbell likes this.
  19. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

Nice set up and although I’m not a licensed electrician, but it looks Kosher and all according to Hoyle. Did the additional 50 Amp circuit keep you under the Ampacity of the length and size of the feed wires from the house?

Hats off to you and those intrepid souls who pioneered the way by plugging in their OEM EVSEs into 240 Volts and found there were no fireworks, mushroom clouds, or ripping of space-time. I was too chicken to try. I’ll wait for more long term reports and temperature checks before I consider this.

In your (and others) honor, here is a picture of how NOT to wire a receptacle:
    C25D06FB-4AC9-4747-810A-7B79E8E742C6.png

PS: I’m an old Georgia boy, so I know how beautiful the forested foothills of N GA are and how far you have to drill a well if you’re on a small mountain.

MNSteve likes this.
  20. M. Shah

M. Shah Member

MPower and KentuckyKen like this.
  21. Great! Each additional data point helps make the case that this is not a wild, crazy idea.

I’ve not noticed any perceptible difference in heat generated between 120v and 240v charging with the stock charging cord.

MPower and KentuckyKen like this.