Trunk Space - What can you fit in there?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by BeMurda, Jul 12, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. BeMurda

BeMurda Active Member

Hi all,

I'm looking at ordering a 2020 Clarity when announced and we had previously planned to get an SUV next. I saw this article talking about how cargo measurements across body styles are essentially completely inconsistent:

https://www.cars.com/articles/cargo-specs-be-careful-what-you-compare-1420696442243/

I was wondering What your experiences have been with the trunk and storage in general - flip down seats, etc. Especially if you have kids and the accompanying gear - we are hoping to have 2 but have none at the moment.

We do have a Toyota Venza that we will likely keep for now, for utility purposes, but we might not get a 3 row crossover for a few years.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. NocEdit

NocEdit Member

We just made a close to 3 hour road trip with 4 adults and a 5 year old in the middle car seat. We loaded up the trunk with 1 large full size suitcase that you check at the airport... 2 carry on size suitcases... assorted rafts, beach bags and pool gear. It all fit easily. The trunk has a little rise in the back unlike my precious sedan which limits the capacity some... but unless you have a very large family it should be plenty of storage space for most.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

4. Wdave

Wdave Member

The trunk is big, the passthrough is more of an afterthought, you could fit a Costco pack of bounty through the pass through, but really isn't all that practical because it would take up all the pass through space, because of the hexagonal shape that's probably there for rigidity purposes as I see no other reason

insightman likes this.
  5. Robert_Alabama

Robert_Alabama Well-Known Member

It has also been verified that a hitch can be added to the Clarty for not too much effort or cost (approx $250 from what I remember). With a hitch, you have the option for an aluminum platform to carry lots more stuff. Used optimally, it is nearly like having an extra trunk. Just wouldn't want to load it with really heavy items, just for space. I'd limit the loading to probably a couple of hundred pounds and try to put heavy items as close to the car as possible (limit torque on the hitch).

6. BeMurda

BeMurda Active Member

Thanks for this. I think I would rather get a low profile roof rack for additional storage as needed. The nice thing with a sedan is the roof storage is easy to access.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. David in TN

David in TN Well-Known Member

With the fold-down seats (back and passenger), I have put 8-foot long shelves, 2x4's, etc., in mine with ease. I keep a towel to wrap the front of it, and put the passenger side seatbelt around the haul to help keep it from moving into the dash.

9. 4sallypat

4sallypat Active Member

Surprisingly good for a Honda sedan - rivals the storage of my BMW 528.
    The fold down rear seats have a slight restriction compared to the pass thru of the BMW, but still worked well for transporting long poles, lumber, etc...

10. 2002

2002 Well-Known Member

I have used a towel in other cars carrying lumber but realize now I was living dangerously, a very hard stop probably would not have been a happy situation. if I do it again I will come up with something more elaborate. Ideally soft foam in front as that is what would contact the dash and/or windshield, with rigid styrofoam behind that and a couple of pieces of cardboard behind that facing the lumber, the cardboard should help keep the lumber from piercing through the styrofoam. Ideally would be to run straps around the front of the lumber that run all the way back and tie down somewhere but I don't see any tie down hooks anywhere.

11. David in TN

David in TN Well-Known Member

use the posts on the headrests?

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. 2002

2002 Well-Known Member

Posts on the headrests could be pretty workable I would think as long as it would hold the weight on a hard stop, they are obviously designed to be sturdy at least for a rearward force of a head moving backwards with a lot of force so presumably would hold a forward force also.

14. Bender

Bender Active Member

I looked around in forums before buying and saw note of people saying they fit 29" mountain bike(s) no problem - One on folded down seats and one in rear.

I have since tried to fit my 29" with the front wheel removed and I think there is no way at all. Maybe the 29s people fit were on tiny frames vs XL.

Probably trending to look for a hitch to have installed. I had a roof rack that I had just purchased and used twice before my Fusion was totaled. But the hitch seems like a better solution, especially as there is no Thule feet for the clarity.

Plus I can't see removing and re-installing the rack all the time. And the crossbars even by themselves are shown to be a big hit in range on regular vehicles.

15. fotomoto

fotomoto Active Member

With one seat flipped down:

IMG_5892.JPG IMG_7062.JPG

Luggage pics includes a mini-spare (ebay) for trips and jack/tools in the lower compartment.

IMG_9113.JPG IMG_6424.JPG

Thevenin and K8QM like this.
  16. Steven B

Steven B Active Member

I can barely fit a size 54cm road bike, rear wheel first through the pass through and close the trunk after taking the front wheel off. I've also been able to fit a size 17.5" hardtail mtn bike frame into the space with the pass through open, again, rear first, but necessary to remove both wheels and the seat post.

Unfortunately, the pass through size is restricted because our PHEV design had to share structural needs with the other two Clarity models.

17. Depends on the size of the 2 gears that you'll be getting.

In all seriousness, coming from a Subaru Forester, I need to do a lot more thinking before I load when I've got large things because the trunk isn't square or flat, and I don't have all that extra height to use. If we planned to do lots of road trips, we may even have to buy some specific luggage that fits well in the trunk. Thus far, we've been fine with one or two large suitcases on the way to the airport and smaller ones for weekend trips (we live in the City, so the gear is generally taken on the subway instead of the car).

18. bill_m

bill_m Member

Rear wheel first? I have been routinely fittng my road bike minus the front wheel into the trunk half handle bar and fork first through the partition. I start with the bike supported horizontally, handlebar and fork turned parallel to the frame and pass some of the left handle bar beyond the lower left corner of the partition, then the fork angled at the upper right corner of the partition. Once the fork is through, I push the handlebar through a bit more and adjust the back wheel to the right side of the trunk. Then if I have a second bike, I remove it’s front wheel, place a mover’s blanket over the parts of the first bike obtruding onto the rear seat, and pass the second bike across the rear seat. Then dump the two wheels in the trunk and drive off.

Is your technique different? Or simpler?

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
  19. Steven B

Steven B Active Member

I have an aero bar on the standard handle bars that prevents me from going front first, but I would imagine that keeping the handle bars back there with you would better keep them under your control as you fit the assembly in. Since I've not tried to fit two bikes, I don't know which direction would be better but suspect your method would be as you would not have one bike laying on the drive train of the other one.

For my method, I have to orient the crank arms in a particular angular location to fit.

Would have preferred the pass through size of the new Insight, but any pass through is better than none (which is what Honda offered on all their previous Civic and Accord hybrids).

20. BeMurda

BeMurda Active Member

21. fotomoto

fotomoto Active Member

Yeah, there's still room for some more smaller items similar in size to the black bag in the right foreground.

22. Jerry56

Jerry56 New Member

Anyone has experience with large music instrument such as guitar or cello? Will they fit in the trunk? Thanks.

23. Clarity Dave

Clarity Dave Member

I've loaded up to 3 guitars (or equivalent stringed things) in the back easily. With one seat dropped, I've loaded an 88-key weighted keyboard in the back, sticking thorugh the pass-through, then loaded a guitar and a couple of other instruments, plus electronics bags in the back as well.

[edit] Just remembered that I've also loaded a cello and guitar in the back with one seat dropped -- the cello neck went through the pass-through.