Heat index above 100 degrees F

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by David in TN, Jul 9, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. David in TN

David in TN Well-Known Member

So, today I head out to run some errands. All of these are within 5 miles of my home, but in all different directions.

My first stop, I got to thinking about it. "Why don't I just leave my car with A/C running?"

After pondering a bit, at my first stop, I got out, left the car on, with the A/C set on 58 degrees (why not? :) ) I took my key, the physical key, inside the key fob, removed it from the fob, inserted into driver's door lock, and turned counter-clockwise. All doors locked. Car still running the A/C.

I go inside store for about 10-15 minutes. Come back out, unlock with key (turn clockwise,) to a nice cool car.

Next stop I repeated the same thing.

Next stop, too!

All told, I drove about 20 miles, EV range dropped about 25 miles, and my car remained comfortable.

While we all have things that we wish were better about the Clarity - being able to run the A/C while not being in the car is awesome!!!

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. KClark

KClark Active Member

Cool :cool:

MPower, MNSteve and fotomoto like this.
  4. fotomoto

fotomoto Active Member

I see what u did there. ;)

5. Daniel M W

Daniel M W Member

I do the same but I use the options either from the remote or the honda link app, and they work good. As soon as I step out of the car, I lock it and turn on the climate control from the remote (if the errand is not that long because it will be turned off after half and hour). The car will not be that cold, but it keeps the car around 75 wich is good for me (so if you want it cooler than that, definitely you will need to explore options as you did). The nice feature of using the app is that you can see the actual inside temp.

6. Raymondca

Raymondca Member

It seems you have answered my question which I have been trying to figure out. I can lock the fob in my car by using the physical key. And carry that key in a small plastic bag when I'm swimming.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. ab13

ab13 Active Member

Need to be careful, the fob may allow opening the door due to proximity, unless you wrap it in metal or foil.

9. Raymondca

Raymondca Member

Thanks for the reminder. I actually tested it just now. It won't open if I put it in the storage bin at the center. I think the sensing areas don't cover there. There must be other hiding areas too.

10. JCA

JCA Active Member

I'd imagine all keyless entry cars must have good discrimination between a fob inside the car vs outside, especially when the car's running -- it would be really bad if you locked your doors while driving and anyone could just open them from the outside. I haven't tried though!

thecompdude likes this.
  11. Bender

Bender Active Member

Just curious what benefit you derived from taking apart the key? I usually just take the whole key fob with me without turning off the car and as Im walking away from the car I lock it with the button on the remote. I am probably missing something, though.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. PascoClarity

PascoClarity New Member

Not sure if this is another case of different Clarities responding differently, but my car will not lock using the button on the fob or the button in the door handle if the car is still running.

14. Steven B

Steven B Active Member

Agreed. To lock the vehicle with it still running, you've got to use the physical key. This is why I usually just power down the car and turn on remote climate after locking the car. Also, leaving the fob in the car prevents the three warning beeps you get when the car is left running and the fob departs.

15. Bender

Bender Active Member

Right you are I had only done it once or twice and not investigated. Even if you lock from inside of door it unlocks it...

I will have to try leaving 1 fob in the car and taking the second with me later. And try a few other experiments

16. fotomoto

fotomoto Active Member

Yeah, that doesn't work and for good reason as lots of first time hybrid owners walk off unintentionally from "running" cars.

17. Bender

Bender Active Member

I don't see how unlocking the door if the vehicle's on and no fob inside does anything to prevent that..... it just makes the car also be unlocked.

18. petteyg359

petteyg359 Well-Known Member

It does not. Whatever sensors it has are smart enough to detect if the fob is inside or outside the vehicle, and the doors will not unlock if it is inside. I tested that with some volunteer pretend-carjackers :p

19. fotomoto

fotomoto Active Member

My clarity gives me a multiple warning beep, my cmax gives me two full horn honks (hate that, too loud IMO), and my prius gives muted high pitched beeps when exiting the vehicle with the FOB while it is still ON and NONE of them will allowing locking the door till I turn the car OFF ; all of this is to warn me the car is still ON. It's not perfect as I left my prius "running" for about 45 minutes one time at street festival because the parking area was loud enough I didn't hear the warning beeps as I walked off. Luckily I live is a reasonably safe area and my car was still there (auto headlights on by then!) when I got back.

In post #9 you say you can leave your clarity on (ready), get out with the FOB, lock it and walk off. Correct? I can not do that in mine. As I just stated, it beeps and won't lock the door with the FOB remote buttons. The OP bypasses this by leaving the FOB inside the vehicle, exits, and uses the metal key to lock the door.

20. David in TN

fotomoto - you have to remove the physical key from the fob to lock the door (turn counter-clockwise) with the car still ON.

21. 2002

2002 Well-Known Member

You can purchase a replacement blade from Honda although it would probably be cheaper to buy the blank Honda blade online, the part number appears to be 35118-T2A-A50 then take it to a locksmith for cutting.

Honda key.PNG

22. David in TN

Not sure why you would need to purchase one... I remove mine from the key fob, use it (to lock or unlock,) then put it back in the fob, then into my pocket.

Louis Nisenbaum likes this.