Front bumper sensors?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Valente, Jul 6, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Valente

Valente Active Member

Has anyone had front bumper sensors installed? I don't mind not having rear ones because I use the camera. But I do miss having front bumper sensors.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. M.M.

M.M. Active Member

Are you talking about 3rd party sensors? When I bought mine the parking sensors were only for the rear bumper, so I didn't even bother (seriously, there's already a camera back there). If there were Honda-integrated front sensors available I'd have gotten them.

4. Eric Periard

Eric Periard New Member

This is definitely something I miss which I have on my 2019 Premier Volt, real-time proximity sensor :/

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Inside EVs mobile app

5. 2002

2002 Well-Known Member

Do proximity sensors work for avoiding curbs? I have thought about putting a camera up front but I'm guessing it would be getting constantly dirty. Sensors might do better but if they can't detect a curb I would rather have a camera.

6. zsolar

zsolar New Member

I installed ultrasonic sensors on my leased Clarity EV without making any modifications to the car. I use it every time I park in front of my garage to get the nose of the car close enough to the garage door so that the tail of the car is not sticking out in the sidewalk.

Parking Sensor kit- Ebay, about $11 shipped from China. got one with audio only (no LED indicator) - don't need the display
    Made 3D printed brackets out of PETG (ABS or nylon would be good too). Painted black since I only had gray filament.
    Cut plastic license frame with a dremel/ Used 3M VHB tape to attach sensor brackets to frame
    Extended the power and piezo buzzer leads with ribbon cable.
    Ran 12V power to inside car.
    Getting 12V power from my dashcam power adapter (open up adapter- solder to appropriate +/- points).
    Wired up a switch for the 12V power so I can turn it on while parking
    Buzzer removed from bulky housing and hangs loose by power adapter/switch. Cover buzzer with tape to make it less loud. I think I also added a resistor in-line for the same reason
    Jammed control box into a space under hood where I think it will stay dry.

Some pics: 20190601_160401.jpg 20190520_192103.jpg View attachment 5299 View attachment 5300 20190601_135013.jpg 20190601_135329.jpg

KentuckyKen likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. M.M.

M.M. Active Member

My only experience is with the Volt (which does have front sensors, and was fantastic for parallel parking); those did not detect curbs, just the vehicle in front of and behind you (so something that was at least a foot tall, give or take). I do find the side camera works quite well for curb aim while parallel parking--like the advanced version of the mirror on the Acura I used to have that would tilt down when in reverse.

It's downright weird to me that Honda offers rear sensors, where you don't need them, but none for the front, where they're actually useful.

9. ab13

ab13 Active Member

11. zsolar

zsolar New Member

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Thank you!