Normal sound; or is it?

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by B G, Jul 7, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. B G

B G New Member

I've had my Kona for 6 months. Around the 6000 km mark, I noticed a noise while at slow speeds when engaging the brake pedal or applying the regen paddle, while coming to a stop. Sometimes it is almost imperceptible and other times very apparent. I've seen other threads regarding a clunking sound when applying the brakes and that the correct sized brake clips are required to fix the problem. I think mine is different, in that, both the hand paddle and the brake pedal are associated with the sound. The best way that I can describe it, is, a gurgling sound. The dealership says it's normal. What do you think? Anyone else experience this?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Kitsilano

Kitsilano Active Member

While coming to a stop, punch N on the shifter. If the noise stops, it's the transmission, not the motor or brakes. This analysis was reported, I forget by whom, on an earlier thread on noises. My car makes this gurgling(?) sound, and it also started at about the 6000 km mark. At 9000 km it has not gotten worse.

electriceddy and BC-Doc like this.
  4. Makes me wonder if it's related to the coolant in the heating system.

electriceddy likes this.
  5. Need to know BG's ambient temp and location, I've heard that with Tesla models

6. B G

B G New Member

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. B G

B G New Member

Yes. That seems to be it, exactly. Upon pressing the N, the sound disappears.
    I've since found that gurgling sound also occurs while slowing down without applying the brake pedal, or hand paddle. It's just that it is quieter. When using the pedal or paddle, it is more pronounced. Also, I should add, that the gurgling sound is quite rapid and slows as the vehicle slows to a stop.
    Some replies I've received, link the gurgling sound to a possible coolant issue as well.
    I'm thankful that this forum exists and that people like you take the time to respond to my query.

CJC and electriceddy like this.