Yet another paint failure ?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by lanb, Jul 4, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. lanb

lanb Active Member

I was closing my boot today and noticed some serious paint peeling. It looks like the top coat paint has peeled away leaving the base primer exposed. There are two areas on my boot that this has happened - near the glass and again near the end edge.

Any one seen this kind of issue before ? I am aware of the Eddgie's paint issue and battle with Honda. This flaking seems to be slightly different.
    Color is Modern Metallic silver and stock paint with no addons.
    Car is 10 months old with a 8/18 date of Mfr.

Pics attached.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. craze1cars

craze1cars Well-Known Member

I dunno...photos always make this more difficult than seeing in person, but it kinda looks like a chemical of some type that has paint stripping capabilities was possibly dribbled on the car by accident or via vandalism.

Any body shop can advise on their opinion for free, if you take it in and show it to them. Dealer will also advise their opinion.

No I have not seen this on Clarity before.

Not sure what country you are in? But if Honda denies it under warranty, it would certainly be a legitimate insurance claim in the US, subject to comprehensive coverage deductible.

No matter what the cause, the panel needs a complete refinish.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
  4. 4sallypat

4sallypat Active Member

Looks like some type of chemical attacked the paint looking at the drop pattern.
    It does not look like a peeling or flaking paint issue.

Maybe you have an acid attacker running around the neighborhood ?

5. lanb

lanb Active Member

Yes, the pattern is very weird but I can't think of any situation where the car was near a place with any paint stripping chemicals.

6. craze1cars

Any public parking lot? At any store? You never know who is walking by and what they are carrying.

Many more products than paint remover can remove paint. Maybe someone dropped a bottle of nail polish remover out of a purse or grocery bag and it splashed? Heck bug spray with DEET is known to remove paint.

Anytime a vehicle is out in public, it’s exposed....

4sallypat likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Also watch out for Thomson water seal. Parking ramp was sealing an upper floor and dropped two 55 gallon drums and flowed though a joint in the floor. Damaged the paint and rubbee seals on over 20 cars. I was just parked out of the area. My coworker's car lost the paint and rubber seals on the doors and windshield. Pattern looked simular to the damage in the pictures.

9. DucRider

DucRider Well-Known Member

Brake fluid is also notorious for eating paint.

It does indeed look like something dribbled/spilled and not a paint failure from a factory defect.

10. lanb

lanb Active Member

11. craze1cars

Touchup paint will not look much better than it does now.

But you have nothing to lose but about $10 and some time by trying it. Can’t hurt anything. Maybe if you are not picky a touchup repair will satisfy you. But then you’ll take a loss at trade-in it sale time.

So for most newer cars like these I would suggest a professional body shop repair. In the US expect somewhere between $500 and $1000 to fix properly.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Yes, the Honda touch-up kit comes with clear-coat along with your car's colored paint. My attempts to fix a scratch on a door weren't very pretty, but the dark green color of our Clarity keeps it from being obvious.

14. Clarity_Newbie

Clarity_Newbie Active Member

lanb

Ran across this and thought of this post.

https://abc11.com/amp/society/honda-owners-dealing-with-peeling-paint-issues-on-their-new-cars/5389370/

Good luck.

15. lanb

lanb Active Member

So, you guys were all right. Something did spill on the car though I don't know what.

The good news - it actually didn't damage/peel the paint as I originally thought.
    I was able to get rid of the "drippings" with some good old elbow grease.

Sorry for the false alarm :) and thanks to all who responded.