Winter tire question

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Raymondca, Jul 3, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Raymondca

Raymondca Member

I have a set of winter tires Michelin Latitude X-Ice Xi2 (225/65R17) I bought for my CR-V. They are still good. I'm wondering if I can use them for my Clarity. I searched and could not figure out if the aspect ratio matched or not. If it's not matched, what would be the impact?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. 4sallypat

4sallypat Active Member

Your Clarity uses 18" wheels.
    So to answer your question - no your CR-V 17" will not fit.

4. Mike95465

Mike95465 Member

I’d be concerned with the 8% difference in tire diameter.

Seems like the clarity’s 235/45-18 measures 26.3” in diameter whereas your CRV tires measures 28.5” in diameter.

I’ve gone slightly different tire diameters for winters on my other vehicles but never that much. I actually prefer to get a skinnier winter tire on a downsized rim like you suggested.
    However, that larger tire may cause issues with rubbing since there isn’t a whole lot of clearance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Evfred

Evfred Member

215/55/17 are the suggested winter tire size. Minimal diameter difference from stock.

6. Robert_Alabama

Robert_Alabama Well-Known Member

I assume you have the wheels as well. You could take them to any decent tire place and let them check for you. 8% larger may not have enough clearance, but you could get someone to check. You have to plan for shock absorption/loading as well as turning on the front. I'm afraid I'm betting that they will be to tall, (about 1.1" less clearance at top and sides than OEM tires - I'm afraid it may hang the fender on the front if you turn hard and/or it may hit at the top if you hit a pothole). I think that the wheels should work fine though, from what I can see online.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Raymondca

Raymondca Member

Yes, I have the wheels. I'll take them to a tire service to check before winter comes. Thank you so much. If they don't fit, I'll keep them for my CR-V. I will drive the CR-V anyway if the temperature is too low.

9. V8Power

V8Power Active Member

Try this:
    https://tiresize.com/calculator/

10. craze1cars

craze1cars Well-Known Member

Last I understood is that 17” wheels won’t clear the brakes on the Clarity?

Mostly basing this on other comments from people trying 17” compact spares. No personal experience so I might be wrong

Anyway fit should be immediately evident upon simply trying to bolt the wheels to the car...

11. Richard Kelly

Richard Kelly Member

used 17 inch Accord rims all Winter long.

12. To remove this ad click here.