Nissan previews its all-electric crossover at Tokyo Motor Show

Discussion in 'Nissan' started by Domenick, Oct 17, 2017.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Nissan Teases What’s Surely An All-Electric SUV/CUV For Tokyo Debut
    Crossovers are the hottest thing right now, and Nissan is about to reveal its all-electric plans for this segment, teasing this silhouette ahead of the Tokyo Motor Show.

We'll add more details as we get them, but first thing that comes to mind is that this will likely compete with the Tesla Model Y and VW ID Crozz, making it a three-way race for first-mover advantage.

nissan-teaser.jpg

EV-Rules.com likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Marcel_g

Marcel_g Member

I suspect that the first relatively affordable EV with Prius V type space is going to sell relatively well. If this is like a Leaf but with 30cm longer storage, it'll be very practical for people with kids and or dogs, getting flat packs from Ikea, or materials from the garden centre, etc.

You did forget about the upcoming Kia Niro EV, which might give Nissan a contest for first on the market.

Domenick likes this.
  4. Good point! I forgot the Kia Niro EV is also in that mix. We have a post saying it's coming in 2018 too, so it is likely to beat out the Nissan.

5. Jay Cole

Jay Cole New Member

Given that Nissan has confirmed both a long range, all-electric utility vehicle (and also a sedan) to arrive by 2019 (that is already completed and just waiting to be revealed), 50/50 shot this could be that vehicle given Nissan's preference to display brand new products first in its domestic market...or we might get another 'IDS' foreshadowing that vehicle.

Nissan not withstanding, as Tokyo is a biennial event...it is always a good show!

6. Straight from Tokyo, here is the Nissan IMx Electric CUV Debuts With *373-Mile Range

With lots of hints about this previewing an actual production vehicle in the near future, Nissan rolled out IMx concept at the Tokyo Motor Show.
    Take that 373-mile range figure with a chunk of Himalayan salt, though. Typically, Japanese manufacturers will use the Japanese driving cycle (JC08) to come up with those figures. Realistically, it will probably get closer to 280-300 miles range from the more believable EPA standard. Which is still very awesome.

Take into consideration that this is on the Leaf platform, that might also mean Nissan has bigger batteries for that car down the road too.

But enough about range. Let's talk power: 430 horsepower and a beefy 516 lb-ft of torque from its two electric motors -- one for the front wheels, one for the rear. I somehow doubt the retail version of this crossover will have that much power, but it's interesting to see them tout that aspect. It would be nice if this drivetrain was destined for the Leaf Nismo, but I think the first Leaf Nismo will stick closely to the 2018 Leaf, with only a bit more power.

Aside from that, I hope styling for the eventual crossover will be more strongly derived from this design, rather than sporting the beak that breaks the wind for Nissan's current lineup.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Marcel_g

Marcel_g Member

very concept-y. looks like the Kia Niro might be the first EV SUV available, that isn't very expensive like the Model X.

9. The Kia Niro will get here first, but with only a 28 kWh battery, so range may be less than 100 miles. Should be interesting to see how many people take the Kia option versus waiting for the Nissan crossover.

There is also the Hyundai Kona crossover that will have a 50 kWh battery with around 217 miles of range, said to be coming in the Fall of 2018.