Anyone experience FCA (Front Collision Assistance)?

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by silverhippo, Jun 21, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. silverhippo

silverhippo New Member

I was in my first car accident with a brand new 2019 Kona EV a few days ago. Significant front end damage; the FCA did not engage. But I was going up an incline and pressing the brake anyway so it probably didn't matter. Anybody have any experience with FCA when it does work? I read in the manual that certain conditions (which I had) prevent the FCA from activating and curious if others had the same experience.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Murry

Murry Member

From my Ioniq experience - if you’re using the brake, FC systems won’t engage as they assume you’re in charge.

Brennan Raposo likes this.
  4. Sad to hear, hope nobody got hurt.
    I was a little confused by the thread title as the feature is called "forward collision avoidance" however in this case it may have been assistance.
    Surprised the design that doesn't work if foot on the brake as I have experienced 2 occasions so far, both times it reacted before I even had a chance to apply the brakes.

5. K0NA19

K0NA19 New Member

I have experienced the auto emergency braking engaged twice with the auto regeneration selected. It was rather scary since the car would break abruptly and wouldn’t disengage soon enough. I thought the setting was too sensitive since I had still plenty of distance between my Kona and the car in front. I will see if I can adjust the setting somewhere. My other vehicle with a similar feature performs a lot smoother.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

6. Yes, I have had this happen to me as well. I changed the setting to Late hoping that will help. Since then have had the beeps come on a couple times, but not the braking.

However, the OP's issue of not working at all or when foot braking is another concern. My other car does not trigger prematurely like the Kona, but also works when braking (if not braking soon or hard enough). I did not test this, but many others have (on that car forum) with cardboard boxes.

electriceddy and K0NA19 like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. justfortheride

justfortheride New Member

Hi Hippo, sorry to hear about your incident.

I have had some experience with it activating unnecessarily. On a certain road, in a specific spot, under specific lighting conditions it activates the beeping and automatic braking. The first time it happened I was caught off guard, then it continued to happen in that same spot nearly daily. I have no idea what it is about the road/environment there that triggers the system. There's never been a vehicle, pedestrian, anything on the road, parked, sidewalk, nothing, just me and the road. On a related note, I've also had the front proximity sensor ring off when stopped at a traffic light despite having been stopped and neither myself or car in front move. Weird.

Hippo, I'm curious did the damage significantly damage the battery? I've wondered why type of impact would damage the battery and whether that would render it too expensive to fix.

9. E-Shark

E-Shark Active Member

10. mikeselectricstuff

mikeselectricstuff Active Member

Sorry to hear the news, however every cloud can have a silver lining..
    I'm really keen to get my hands on a VESS (AVAS/simulated sound) module, which is located behind the front bumper, in any condition. This is to investigate the possibility of doing custom simulated engine sounds.
    Even a photo of the board inside would be helpful, or a damaged unit.
    Please let me know if there's any way you can "free" the VESS module from your damaged car somehow in the repair/warranty process. I'm in the UK , but happy to pay, including shipping costs.

electriceddy likes this.
  11. Only candidate I am aware of :
    https://insideevs.com/news/346892/video-massive-tree-crushes-hyundai-kona-electric/
    maybe contact the insurance company

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Update: The owner actually posted on this forum,if you send an Inbox, possible to find the location of the wrecked car:
    https://insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/anyone-in-a-non-zev-state-get-a-kona-ev.5121/page-2#post-60525

14. Brennan Raposo

Brennan Raposo Well-Known Member

This is exactly the case.

I'm so sorry for your loss and hope everyone is alright and no injuries were incurred.
    I've had the FC assistant engage about a half a dozen times. The first few times, I engaged the brakes and it disengaged. The remainder, I just let it do its thing and came out of every situation unscathed.

I changed my setting from "Early" - it would happen ALL the time even if someone several car lengths ahead of me started to normally apply brake. To "Normal" - Still engaged in what I would consider completely normal and avoidable conditions if one is paying normal amounts of attention. To late - this is where I feel most comfortable. I am a very conscious driver and pride myself in being very rarely distracted. In this setting, the car has engaged FCA 3 times and all three times it was greatly appreciated. The other two settings were just annoying and ended up almost causing more harm than good as cars behind me had to slam on their brakes as they were obviously following too closely.

I wish your vehicle and your nerves a speedy recovery!

Kitsilano likes this.