Reduction of B.C. EV rebates

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by electriceddy, Jun 22, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Yes, as of today the provincial incentive is reduced from $5K to $3K for BEV, fuel cell and longer range hybrids, and down to $1500 for short range plug in hybrids.
    I hope those who have pre-ordered have checked that they have the paperwork in order in the form of a purchase or reservation as they will still be covered by the prior incentives and rules.
    Also have capped max price threshold to $55K. (click on expand story)
    https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2019EMPR0025-001302

mho and BC-Doc like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. CJC

CJC Well-Known Member

Well that takes the cake! We are waiting for the 2020 Soul EV and did put down $500 deposit. After reading what you posted Ed I emailed our salesperson to ask if we will still get the $5000 versus the $3000 since we have a "reservation". Thanks for posting that. I'll let you know what he says.

Melly and electriceddy like this.
  4. British Columbia, welcome to Ontario Jr.!

Kamloops_KoNa and XtsKonaTrooper like this.
  5. XtsKonaTrooper

XtsKonaTrooper Well-Known Member

If i was wanting an EV id get one soon, cuz who knows if Trudeau doesnt get re elected, then the federal one is out the window.

6. SkookumPete

SkookumPete Well-Known Member

This news is $2,000 of consolation to those of us who got the full rebate from the province but missed out on the federal program.

The news release says nothing of plain hybrids, so I take it that they're no longer covered.

electriceddy likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Bolero

Bolero New Member

I'm supposed to pick my model 3 next Thursday. I checked my Tesla account and it's already showing the 3000 instead of 5000. :-(

9. Sandwedge

Sandwedge New Member

Did you have a contract showing the $10k total rebate? If yes then your funds are reserved.

10. Melly

Melly Member

Called my dealership as well.. Will Wait to hear back in a few hours! No contract was made yet, as it's not suppose to get here until next April. So we just made a deposit.

11. Good luck, might be too late for the provincial, but at least you can nail down the Federal with some paperwork

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Sandwedge

Sandwedge New Member

Ya, who knows what will happen if there's a new Federal Government.

14. We might get a tax rebate on solar panel installations (just announced in the Conservative environmental platform). I would love to install solar on my home roof, and that might just be the push that I need. I already have solar at our lake cabin, and it works great.

But kind of ironic that an NDP govt in BC kept in power by the Green party reduces the EV subsidy!! Maybe has something to do with the fact the Green Party leader already bought his Kona EV...

Excerpt from a recent Vancouver Sun article:
    Romano said government electric vehicle subsidies — $5,000 provincially and $5,000 federally — caused a run on demand and Hyundai is sold out of Konas. “It’s an anomaly,” he said. “It doesn’t reflect the sustainable demand we’re going to see over the next couple of years.”

Among the buyers was B.C. Green Leader Andrew Weaver, who said he traded in his family’s used Honda CR-V for the new Kona. Weaver already owns an electric Nissan LEAF.

“We’re getting rid of a 2011 Honda CRV — that’s a bloody good car, it retails probably on the secondhand market about $13-14,000 and we’re spending $40,000 for the Hyundai Kona,” said Weaver, whose Greens support the government electric vehicle legislation.

Kitsilano likes this.
  15. CJC

CJC Well-Known Member

Of course not! lol

Jared Potter likes this.
  16. Melly

Melly Member