Fluctuating charge rate on L2?

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by victor_2019, Jun 22, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. victor_2019

victor_2019 Active Member

I plugged the Kona into a L2 charger yesterday and after the charge began in the dash i saw the rate shoot up to 6.6 kw, then drop to zero, then shoot up to 6.6 again. It did this several times until it stopped and settled at 6.7kw.

I did not hear any clicking and the L2 charger did not show any error.

Did anyone else see something similar?

It's an older leviton charger, the kind housed in a square metal box.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Kitsilano

Kitsilano Active Member

victor_2019, it's probably the charger's fault, not your car's. I've never seen anything like what you describe.

4. They are two of the same. Level 1&2 chargers, aka AC charge cables of 120v and 240v are charger cables supplying the on-board AC/DC charger system rather than having an external converter directly charging the battery pack.

That being said the charger EVSE system and the cars charger might be having issues negotiating the charging rate or the charger starts charging at that full 240v32amp rate and the voltage suddenly drops as it ramps up, the charger slows down, voltage recovers, charger goes back up repeats several times until the voltage stabilizes. You can see this often when a heavy load device on an unbalanced circuit or just a heavy transformer where a large load starts causing a visible voltage/amperage drop. If the charger normalizes and chargers fully without errors or not I’d probably ignore it as not an issue your car is worried about nor should you. Should you be getting com errors, flipped breakers or other issues. Could always try lowering the chargers amp rate to 16 and see if the problem persists?