Lug Nuts Washer/Wheel Locks?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by RobinBrain, Jun 17, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. RobinBrain

RobinBrain Member

I wanted to put wheel locks on my wheels as a deterrent to thieves, but when I removed the original lug nut. I noticed it had a washer/o-ring. The wheel lock didn't have the washer, would this be an issue?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

Is that the Honda OEM wheel lock set?
    I just put those on with out noticing and they are working fine so far and have gone through one tire rotation.

4. Robert_Alabama

Robert_Alabama Well-Known Member

I took mine off and put the stock lug nuts back on (generally hate them and don't believe anyone would ever steal the wheels). I just looked at them and they have no washers. The small black bag that they came in had the Honda logo on it and the dealer had put them on, so I believe they are Honda locking lug nuts. So my bet is no washer.

5. KentuckyKen

I agree with the “ugliness” of the wheels but since 4 wheels and LRR tires are almost $6,000 to replace, my $25 locking lug nuts are cheap insurance and staying put. And I don’t think thieves Google how much or little they are in demand before they steal them.
    Should Allstate thank me?, yes, did they?, no.

6. Mowcowbell

Mowcowbell Well-Known Member

Heck, I had to park outside a hotel in a sketchy neighborhood in Dallas this past weekend and awoke to find a envelope taped to my window with a note 'my condolences on the ugly wheels, here's $10 towards some nice ones'. :)

MPower and KentuckyKen like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Robert_Alabama

By the way, my "I hate them" is directed to locking lug nuts in general. I have made peace with the wheels after I put black inserts in them. I just don't think anyone would ever steal my wheels. Watch it happen to me one day now.

9. Lowell_Greenberg

Lowell_Greenberg Active Member

Wow! I know what the tires cost. Are the wheels that expensive? Yikes.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

10. Robert_Alabama

I know everyone probably already knows this, but just in case. Ebay is your friend if you ever need wheels. Should be able to buy a good one for about $300 delivered.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/2018-HONDA-CLARITY-Wheel-plug-in-hybrid-18x8-factory-installed-18-H19D017/382970365773
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/2018-Honda-Clarity-OEM-18x8-Factory-Wheel-Rim/163545662112
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/2018-Honda-Clarity-OEM-18x8-Factory-Wheel/163545662128
    Usually there is a button to make an offer for wheels on Ebay so you can shave a few dollars off the buy it now price most of the time...

Also saw these in case anyone is looking for locking lug nuts...
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-GENUINE-HONDA-WHEEL-LOCK-SET-08W42-SNA-100-EXPOSED-LUGS/292485793914

And since I'm posting ebay stuff... Here's a spare tire that works on the Clarity. The tire on the wheel is about November 2008 manufacture, but I'd bet the tire is still ok as a spare. Would be nice to find one a little newer, though. Occasionally you can find these for around $100 delivered. You want the 145/80/17 tire as it is only about 0.8% smaller than the OEM 235/45/18 tire in diameter/circumference.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/2009-09-INFINITI-G37-SPARE-TIRE-WHEEL-DONUT-RIM-17X4-17-145-80D17-OEM/323833608077
    Also it would be nice to see a picture of the tread as it looks like it must have been run at least a little since the rim has some rash on the inside....

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
  11. KentuckyKen

Those are great prices since the dealer prices for wheels/covers are ~$1,200 each and then add ~$240 each for the OEM LRR Michelin’s. It’s highway robbery.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. ClarityBill

ClarityBill Active Member

I bought a set of 4 rims with tires on ebay. I am now trying to find spots around upstate NY to hide them, in case I have a flat on my normal driving. I figure it will also cover my first set of replacement tires, and the worn tires become my spares.

14. janfeb

janfeb New Member

There is a totalled clarity in a junk yard nearby. What should I salvage beside a spare tire?

15. KentuckyKen

If the previous owner had mud mats and or trunk mat/rear trunk protector and you can get them cheap, that might be worth considering.
    Splash guards maybe?

16. ClarityBill

Wow... I am thinking battery, engine... I suppose headlight or tail light assemblies, head unit. How are their prices, and how much storage space do you have? (What is location - US state?)

17. sniwallof

sniwallof Active Member

Not inexpensive by any measure, but my experience has been about $2k - $2.5k for a set of new Honda rims (the optional ones, College Hills Honda) and new high end Michelins.

When I've sold the spare sets when changing cars (often in recent years, as I sample and search for "my EV"), re-sale prices for a low milage set have ranged from $600 to $1200 (Honda and Chevy OEM sets, with low milage LRR tires). I usually sell fast and low just to get the job done, others do the same.

I guess if someone takes your wheels, there is no time to shop for good prices, but short of an emergency, there are lots of good buying opportunities for OEM sets. $1k to 1.2k ebay has not been uncommon, often from shops where owners put on custom wheels, and the shop moves the OEM set on ebay.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
  18. ClarityBill

My local junk yard charges $35 for a wheel and tire... I am REALLY hoping they get a Clarity.

KentuckyKen likes this.