Glass tinting

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by ChrisP, Jun 19, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. ChrisP

ChrisP New Member

I am planning to tint my car back windows and rear windshield with a 30% tint to cut down on heat in the cabin.

I was also thinking of tinting the windshield and front windows with a clear tint with a 70% VLT (should be legal level in CA). I was wondering if the car windows already came with some sort of heat/uv reduction. In that case, I am not sure if I would gain much heat reduction by installing a 70%VLT clear tint.

I would appreciate feedback on this topic.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. ken wells

ken wells Member

If you tint the windshield, be careful not to tint the blocked out section behind (in front of) the rearview. The camera uses that, and it probably benefits from every photon available

4. The Kona EV windshield is already thermal glass “front solar control glass” it’s a semi metallic coating between the lamination layers that allows the sunlight to pass through while reflecting away a large majority of the sun’s heat. I doubt adding any additional coatings will make any more of a difference. It’s why the back windows and hatch are tinted as well to reduce the heating from the back of the vehicle as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

5. Mowcowbell

Mowcowbell Well-Known Member

What does the glass composition of a Kona EV have to do with a Honda Clarity?

6. Hahahahaha *fail* my bad. I just recently started using the iOS app from just using it in the browser and it’s randomly showing me other threads instead of just the main Kona EV and Kia Niro Threads i comment on. Ignore everything I said as you have done

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

Since the tinting film is applied to the inside of the windshield, you don’t have to worry about blocking the camera. It can’t as the camera is sitting directly in the glass. The tinting film has no choice but to go around it.
    I used Wincos Ceramic 70% VLT on my windshield and it’s working fine. I find no ill affects at night and no passenger has ever noticed it’s there. I was sold on it due to a demo in the tint shop I used that has a heat lamp with a sliding piece of glass with and without ceramic tint. When you slid the tinted glass over it you could hardly feel the heat. Very impressive.

I put the same but 30% VLT on all side windows since it’s the most KY allows on front side windows and I wanted all side windows to match. I put a little darker on the back window. Just be aware that tinting over the defroster wires resulted in some vertical light bands from headlights or bright point light sources. It doesn’t bother me and I’ve gotten used to it. The benefit of reduced heat gain from the ceramic tint more than makes up for it to me.

Definitely pay a little more for the ceramic infra-red blocking tint. It has made a noticeable improvement in heat gain for me and I think it is worth it.
    As for UV blocking benefits, I think the windshield already does that. I base that on the fact that my back up glasses that auto darken outside in response to UV wavelengths don’t darken inside the car. Not 100% sure about that. It’s just what I’ve observed and deduced.

If you’re wanting to protect your dash from cracking due to sun and heat, the best thing is to try to keep the plastic from depolymerizing by regularly applying a product like 303 Protectant.
    It’s a little pricey, but a great product and doesn’t leave a gloss finish. The airplane guys swear by this stuff to protect the plastic on their planes that sit out in the tarmac in the blazing sun all year.
    Hope this helps.

ClarityDoc and Cash Traylor like this.
  9. ChrisP

ChrisP New Member

Thanks for the feedback. I just read the CA laws again and no tinting is allowed on the windshield except for a 4” strip. Front windows are ok as long as it is 70% VLT.

10. graure

graure Member

A 90% ceramic on your windshield will provide some IR blocking properties and is completely unnoticeable by the po-po or you (unless you're wearing polarized sunglasses). Do 30-35% all around for the rest of the car. If the police can see your face thru the glass, they don't mind if you're over 70% on the fronts. Having differing tint levels on your windows looks so tacky.