Biased Tesla story on investing site

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by ElectrifyMe, May 29, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. ElectrifyMe

ElectrifyMe New Member

There are numerous similarities—many years of loss at Amazon because they poured money back into the company (just look it up and it’s clear) and leaders who constantly want to grow beyond why they do in the moment. Just saying “Tesla ain’t Amazon” isn’t really telling me anything. And, stock options get exercised all the time by executives, often on a regular schedule set years in advance. Another pretty well-known phenomenon. So all the conjecture isn’t very helpful to actual debate. Give me something that’s actually evidence and factual. We know the company has loss lots of money. Is that a guarantee that will continue? Apple was once a week from total bankruptcy and collapse. Companies die. Other companies lose money until they don’t.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. David Green

David Green Well-Known Member

As I said before, Capital Expenditures are NOT CONSIDERED LOSSES, and are not reported as losses in a companies earnings report, so reboot your AMZN comparison, only bring data including earning reports. Tesla's losses are money they lost doing business, NOT MONEY THEY LOST BUILDING FACTORIES AND SUPERCHARGERS... Those are booked as assets, so again reboot and come on back with data...

As for JB, did you read the electric article? Rumor is he is not coming to work, and has been exercising and selling stock over the last 6 months (coincidently the same timeframe his office visits have been few and far between). With Tesla you have to read between the lines as the company is constantly working overtime to deceive and distract investors.

4. Pushmi-Pullyu

Pushmi-Pullyu Well-Known Member

Gee, could it be because he needs money? Nah, that's too simple and straightforward, there must be some conspiracy involved!
    o_O :confused: :D

bwilson4web likes this.
  5. Pushmi-Pullyu

And yet, you [snip] persistently describe Tesla having negative cash flow as "losing money" even when Tesla is quite clearly spending lots of money every year on capital expenditures, and thus increased assets.

Well I'm not an investor, but Tesla has totally fooled me into thinking they're growing their production at an astonishing rate, year-on-year. In fact, they fool tens of thousands of people every month into thinking they have bought, and are driving, a Tesla car! :D

Tesla’s global automobile sales totals:
    2012: 2650
    2013: 22,300
    2014: 31,655 (+41.95%)
    2015: 50,580 (+59.8%)
    2016: 76,230 (+50.7%)
    2017: 101,312 (+32.9%)
    2018: 245,240 (+142%)

"To put our growth into perspective, we delivered almost as many vehicles in 2018 as we did in all prior years combined."

Keep going Tesla!

Last edited: May 31, 2019
    bwilson4web likes this.
  6. Pushmi-Pullyu

Tesla never promised a $27,500 Model 3. Tesla and its spokesmen were very consistent in not including the U.S. Federal tax credit in the quoted prices. There were a lot of news articles that made that mistake, but such carelessness is not Tesla's fault.

Elon Musk won't find that ironic at all. He has been very outspoken about that being his plan all along. In fact, Tesla cannot single-handedly transform the entire auto industry from gasmobiles into PEVs (Plug-in EVs). Tesla is going to need lots of help with that!

And in case you hadn't noticed: It's already starting to happen. Volkswagen is getting serious about making PEVs in large numbers, and we can be confident that other large European auto makers will follow, as the EU continues to tighten its restrictions on emissions.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Pushmi-Pullyu

Well, there you go again, as Ronald Reagan said.

The Big Lie is how you [snip] repeatedly describe Tesla's investments as "losses". You've already done that several times in this thread. Have you actually managed to convince yourself that [snip] is true?

[snip]:(

9. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

We don't share the same reality.

Bob Wilson

10. David Green

That is true, your reality has diminished stock account values, and it full of hopes and dreams of one day recovering your losses, my reality has no financial skin in the game, but just follow this company from the outside and watch the slow drain of talent, and resources. I remember you once mentioning in a comment your wife was not so sure about investing in TSLA, I bet she gives you some reminders of that nowadays, when you are down 30-40%.

I thought of another possibility last night, is Elon intentionally destroying the equity in the company so he can merge the assets over to space X and have the private company he always wanted? Hmm, this would make sense as almost every decision and statement he has made in 2019, have pushed the stock price lower.

11. Hi all.
    Quick note: please don't accuse other members of lying. Also, if your only participation on the Forum consists only of badmouthing a single brand, maybe this isn't the right website for you.
    It's ok to be critical of a company's actions -- no company or product is perfect, of course -- but constant denigration of an EV manufacturer isn't helpful or wanted.

Thanks.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Pushmi-Pullyu

A comment from today posted to the InsideEVs news site:

From #Tesla China officially Weibo: “The first order completed within 3 mins of the reservation opening. Due to extreme high demand of the Chinese-made Model 3 on the official website of Tesla, the traffic is too large, please be patient. Or plz visit stores”"

Tesla Model 3
    / QUOTE

EXTREME high DEMAND
    Choke on that Tesla haters

14. bwilson4web

You dodged a bullet: https://priuschat.com/threads/electrify-america-vw-ev-commercial.198574/page-3#post-2905089

I dumped the EV cars from www.fueleconomy.gov and the bottom of the list:
    • Jaguar I-Pace
    • Audi e-tron
    • BYD e6
    This came after viewing a Hyundai Kona, 1,500 mile trip video:

The Kona looks like a nice ride . . . not for me but it might match your requirements and Hyundai is gaining a good reputation.

Bob Wilson

ps. Using the recent prices, I've increased my TSLA position.

15. David Green

Bob, as I told you before, some peoples criteria for a family car does not start with energy consumption. We care more about comfort, features, quiet interior, comfortable for our family, and friends that may travel with us (E-tron gets high marks in our book as a family cruiser, and will blow away a Tesla model X on a road trip with is vastly superior charging which I have tested personally with an X running minutes behind after the first charge session). Also Tesla X has so few places for a fast charge in WA unless you are far away from the core. VW is building a much more comprehensive charging network that for realtors and such will be very handy. Your Model 3 is a great economy car (one of the best), but that is not the range of cars we own and drive. First we only have crossover vehicle and pickups, not a small car family. Second, any car we own has to be able to drive in deep snow because we have a cabin in the mountains which get snowed on pretty hard in the winter. Many times our driveway is not plowed unless we are there, so when we arrive often driving through 18" of snow (can Model 3 do that?)

My criteria for a shuttle car for my business might be different, then just looking to do a job in the least expensive way possible (capital, and operational expense combined). Neither the Tesla Model 3SR nor the Kona are the lowest price shuttle vehicle for a business, and due to IRS rules on deductions, can only be leased as a business vehicle to be able to write off the entire cost of the vehicle as a business expense. We have a Kia currently, and it does the job well, usually just going to pickup plans, permits, and one in a while small truck or equipment parts.

Good luck on your investment, its a very risky one, but Elon might pull a rabbit out of the hat and reward your risk taking, at least temporarily. Their distribution lot in Bellevue, WA has lower inventory levels than we have seen in the past, but also much lighter truck activity bringing cars in and out, not sure exactly what that means financially for Tesla yet. I know Tesla is in full quarter end scramble mode now, my email inbox has been buzzing with offers. Elon has slowed his twitter presence after violating some lawsuit terms last weekend, and deleting a bunch of tweets, too bad, I always laugh reading his desperation pleas...

16. bwilson4web

Living in North Alabama has some benefits for snow avoidance. A prediction of snow closes the schools. Regardless, requirements should drive our vehicle choices.

BTW, the YouTube, East Coast Kona drive got me to look at the CCS charger density along the I-95 corridor. It is much better than the last time I looked. However, the video also showed some of the reliability problems I'd experienced at the Manchester TN, Electrify America station.

Huntsville has a 'free', CCS/CHAdeMO charger downtown that has a placard limiting the rate to 40 kW.

Bob Wilson

17. Pushmi-Pullyu

My B.S. detector just overloaded.
    :rolleyes:

18. bwilson4web

Let’s wait to see if he ever follows through.

Bob Wilson

19. bwilson4web

Living in North Alabama has some benefits for snow avoidance. Regardless, requirements should drive our vehicle choices.

BTW, the YouTube, East Coast Kona drive got me to look at the CCS charger density along the I-95 corridor. It is much better than the last time I looked. However, the video also showed some of the reliability problems I'd experienced at the Manchester TN, Electrify America station.

Huntsville has a 'free', CCS/CHAdeMO charger downtown that has a placard limiting the rate to 40 kW.

Bob Wilson

20. David Green

haha! I am pretty happy living where I live, Seattle is usually near the top for best cities to live, the economy here is booming, and the weather is mild. I saw Alabama recently rated near the bottom for places to live, but I do not remember the criteria of the comparison. I was in North Carolina last year for a day, and found very nice people, lots of churches, and NASCAR shops, No personal experience with Alabama.

As for the troubles with Electrify America, I also had to try a couple times to get the charger going, but once I did, Wow... It really went. See attached photo of the charging screen, where you can clearly see my iPhone XR, and the E-tron in the reflection, it was quite a sunny day, and 85 degrees... Any Tesla'***** 150 kW charging at 62% SOC? NOPE!!! Also a picture on the borrowed E-tron at the ski resort since I did take it to the mountains for testing. IMG_0588.jpeg IMG_0588.jpeg

Attached Files:

21. ajdelange

ajdelange New Member

On 31 May:
    It did dip below $180 for a day - went down to $179 6/3 - but by 6/6 it was back over $200 and has stayed there.

22. David Green

Not exactly terrific performance in 2019 so far, the market is up 18 %, Tesla down near 30%. Ouch!

23. ajdelange

ajdelange New Member

The comment was intended to reflect on the worth of the prediction, not the stock.