car statistics ?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by ChrisP, Jun 6, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. ChrisP

ChrisP New Member

Brand new owner here looking to gather stats. Is there a way to know how much miles were run using the gas engine vs electric ? I can’t seem to find any on board display related to this. Even better, is there an app to collect that data and keep track of it ?

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. fotomoto

fotomoto Active Member

Sadly, data from the Clarity is very lacking. Having owned several hybrids and a couple of other PHEV's, this is my biggest gripe with the car (which doesn't really have anything to do with the car itself so that's a GOOD thing!). Much of this information is available through the OBD port; an app possibility? The "last 3 trips" on the tripometer A display helps some. Also, an old skool workaround posted here is to install an runtime meter on the gas engine.

4. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

It depends on your objective. In my opinion, you can get very good estimate quite easily.

Since many [most?] of us tend to use little gas, I suggest the following...
    Simply track all of your gas consumption (like you always did with a conventional vehicle). Then just apply the reasonable assumption that while running on gas (HV mode) you are getting 45 MPG. All the rest of the miles on the odometer are EV.

In my case, I have had the car for 7 months. I have consumed a total of 38 gallons of gas --> 38 * 45 MPG = 1710 miles. My odometer reading is 6039 therefore I have used 4329 EV miles and 1710 Gas miles (72% electric).

I also track all my electric input, and can do a sanity check that way too (expected miles per kWh).

This simple method seems like it is good enough for most any need I can think of. Not exact, but pretty darned good. You can always tweak the 45 MPG assumption by monitoring your actual MPG while in HV mode.

5. ChrisP

ChrisP New Member

Thanks all for the suggestions. I ll go old school and track gas tank as it seems the easiest way to proceed at this point

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

6. jlebowski

jlebowski New Member

It's a bummer for sure. I've got fueling records going back 20 years, dutifully logged into Excel worksheets. How nice would it be continue my streak? ;)

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. 2002

2002 Well-Known Member

I'm in the same boat, seventeen years of hybrid gas consumption logging. I have been pretty much stupefied by the Clarity and have given up on logging, at least as a method of tracking efficiency. Although for the novelty aspect I will continue to track how much gas I have purchased, just so I can say "I have only been to a gas station 'x' times in the past six months."

insightman likes this.