Level 2 charger questions

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by SkyGuy, Jun 2, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Yes, I've read that too. I'm assuming FastEddie is simply plugging into the wall outlet in the driveway of Friend's homes, but perhaps he is also probing their knowledge of their home's wiring. And maybe I'm underestimating my friends, but I'm pretty sure if I ask them if any particular outlet has anything else running on it I'll be met with a blank stare. Or maybe I'm the only one ignorant of my home's specific wiring.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

Our only experience attempting to charge at a relative's house failed because it would immediately trip the GFCI (outdoor 120V outlet). An actual ground fault seems unlikely, so I'll probably replace the GFCI breaker and try again sometime.

4. The few times we’ve charged at friends or relatives it has not been an issue - just run an extension cord from an outlet in the garage. I do carry a 25’ heavy duty extension cord for just that purpose.

MichiganClarity likes this.
  5. The Gadgeteer

The Gadgeteer Active Member

At least as owners of PHEVs we have choices. I find the Clarity MPG impressive, of course, it would be nice to have more opportunities to charge away from home.

6. Mark W

Mark W Active Member

CT
    Be careful with the Siemens. I have it and sometimes if you use the timed charging in the car, the Siemens doesn't like it, throws a fault, doesn't charge, and goes into a mode where it needs to be reset. There was a thread about it here some time ago where others had the same issue too with the Siemens.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. The Gadgeteer

The Gadgeteer Active Member

I am interested in knowing what 240 volt outlets are people most often finding while traveling? NEMA 14-50R?

9. Mike95465

Mike95465 Member

You can use the PlugShare App to filter by 14-50 receptacles. The only other receptacle option is a generic “Wall” which from what I seen is a 15A 120V type.

I’m pretty certain NEMA 14-50 is the best bet as RV’s have somewhat standardized on this and you can always adapt down if the EVSE is able to change max current settings. The one I have will, in fact I purchased it for the ability to do so even L1 charging.

OpenEVSE is what I got. There was a sale a few weeks back for the DIY assembly kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Gadgeteer likes this.