Level 2 charger questions

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by SkyGuy, Jun 2, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. SkyGuy

SkyGuy New Member

Everyone, I'm building a new house and plan on buying a Level 2 charger. I'll probably get a Siemens charger. Please see attached pics of the circuit breaker panel and plug in the garage. Does this look correct? I'm definitely note technically up to speed on the requirements.
    Many thanks in advance.

Oops, not sure how I got a double pic upload.
    Dave CB.jpg Plug.jpg CB.jpg CB.jpg

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. DucRider

DucRider Well-Known Member

That will do nicely.
    It will allow you ton install up to a 40A EVSE, though the Clarity will only draw 30.

4. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

Yes,

Your 50 Amp breaker is good for a charger with a maximum capacity of 40A.
    Your receptacle looks like the most common NEMA 14-50P. Should work great.

The Clarity will only ever draw around 30 Amps with Level 2.

5. SkyGuy

SkyGuy New Member

Thanks very much, DucRider.

6. SkyGuy

SkyGuy New Member

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. SkyGuy

SkyGuy New Member

I just checked the Siemens requirements and it says:
    • Requires NEMA 6-50 Receptacle and a 2-pole 40-amp circuit breaker
    Still good? I appreciate the quick replies from you fellow Clarity owners.
    Dave

9. MrFixit

You have 3 choices...

Change the current receptacle to a NEMA 6-50
    Obtain an adapter cable to convert between the NEMA 14-50P receptacle to the NEMA 6-50 plug on the charger
    Choose a charger that comes with an NEMA 14-50 plug instead.

If this is a new house, you may convince the electrician to change the receptacle for free. It is a trivial process.

10. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

Your receptacle appears to be a NEMA 14-50R. So you’ll need an EVSE with a plug to fit this. @MrFixit has the best idea for the Siemens which is just change the receptacle to the NEMA 6-50R. That will be your least expensive option. Or you can do what I did and install a nice ChargePoint 32 Amp EVSE in the hard wired version if the outlet box is high enough off the floor. Otherwise it will have to be relocated. Everyone else has already given you all the other electrical info you need.

Edit: As a resource, attached is a diagram of all the NEMA receptacles and their nomenclature

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
  11. MrFixit

KentuckyKen likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. SkyGuy

SkyGuy New Member

Thanks to everyone for their input. I'll just have the electrician change the receptacle to a NEMA6-50.

14. petteyg359

petteyg359 Well-Known Member

You lose the ability to use a one-legged 120 V adapter if you do that. Retaining that capability might be useful in case your level 2 charger ever malfunctions, so you can just resort to the OEM charger.

4sallypat likes this.
  15. MrFixit

True, but in a new house, you likely have several other conveniently located 120V receptacles in the garage for the OEM charger if needed.

16. Mowcowbell

Mowcowbell Well-Known Member

Always go with a plug in EVSE. The hard wired versions are much more difficult to remove if you buy a new house and want to take the EVSE with you.

I'm running a 50 amp breaker connected to a NEMA 14-50p receptacle just like the pictures you posted. I use a NEMA 14-50p to NEMA 6-20R adapter ($24) to allow me to connect my 16amp Level 2 EVSE to my Clarity. It will charge from empty to full in about 4.5 hours, but I hardly ever start with a fully empty battery when charging, so the charge times are much less than that.

17. KentuckyKen

@Mowcowbell, the ChargePoint hardwired version has easy peasy spring loaded terminals. If you move you can easily disconnect, wire nut protect the exposed wire ends, and slap on a 49 cent receptacle cover.

18. Mike95465

Mike95465 Member

I went with a 14-50 receptacle in my garage but went with a more portable L2 EVSE so that I can mount it in my garage but take it with me to have more options to charge if I’m on a trip. The supplied OEM charger isn’t worth the effort on road trips, but L2 is if there is a 240V outlet readily available such as highway rest stations and campsites.
    Might as well hardwire an indoor only version of a EVSE and save some $.
    I also went with a 40A version to future proof a bit. Seems like you already have the wiring needed for it. These things aren’t cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. The Gadgeteer

The Gadgeteer Active Member

There are some Level 2 EVSE with different amp settings. Worth it? Presumably charging at a slower rate helps battery life.

20. KentuckyKen

Someone posted the metric C which is the charging rate divided by the battery size and that keeping it below a value of 1 is good for the battery. Since the most anytime has reported is a charge rate of 7.2 kW (my ChargePoint reports 7.1), then 7.2kW/17 kW = ~ a 0.4 C, after assuming ~92% charger efficiency. So we appear to be no where near stressing out our batteries by charging on the highest rate from a Level 2 EVSE that the onboard charger will call for. Therefore, I don’t see any meaningful battery longevity gain by charging on less than a 32 A Level 2 EVSE.

bpratt, The Gadgeteer and insightman like this.
  21. Not the case if you’re like us and like to mooch off friends and relatives when you travel. Most times we can still get a full overnight charge. Which is worth the effort.

MPower and 4sallypat like this.
  22. Have you run into any issues with blowing circuits at your friends homes? That is always my worry. Of course, that probably stems from me bringing my Clarity home for the 1st time, plugging it into 110V in my garage, and promptly blowing a breaker because I didn't realize that two outlets in my family room share the same circuit and I just happened to have a 1000W space heater plugged into one of them. The breaker did it's job, no harm done, but now I worry about causing trouble elsewhere.

23. KentuckyKen

If you read and follow the Safety Checklist and heed the Warning box on page 454 in the Owner’s Manual, you will not have any worries and will avoid any problems such as the one you inadvertently encountered. (Also, reading all the way to p 470 about charging is worthwhile.)

Knowledge is power as the saying goes, but in this case perhaps it’s knowledge keeps the power flowing safely and gets you invited back.