Utility mode and dog owners --great tip.

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by CJC, Apr 24, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. So does utility mode turn on the amber indicator light on the front badge? or has anyone noticed

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. KonaTom

KonaTom Well-Known Member

Apparently not. I just tried it. You would think it would turn on to indicate power from the main battery.

electriceddy likes this.
  4. I believe the amber indicator on the front badge only lights up when you have battery saver enabled AND it's in use. That is, the "big" battery is being used to charge the 12V because the 12V is too low. I just read about this in the manual Friday night and I'm pretty sure that's what it said about the light on the front of the car and why it would illuminate. So unless you want to intentionally run down the 12V (I wouldn't) I don't think you can test this very easily.

5. The light was always on when I used the remote air conditioning before driving home after work. I had the battery saver on almost all the time but got about one week after I found out that that was the mystery alarm that I was getting.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

6. I think that makes sense to me, maybe it's not just that it engages when the 12V charge is low but also when you do something like run the a/c remotely while not plugged in and not in Utility mode?

Esprit1st likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. So, today I tested the utility mode (since I now know how to actually engaged it, thanks to you guys) and it was working great.

We just hopped in a store to check something out but since it's almost 40°C (110°F) here and the sun is blasting we wanted to try it and keep the AC going.

So turn on utility mode, then lock the doors from inside! Unplug the actual key from the smart key and drop the smart key in the arm rest, or somewhere invisible from outside, open the drivers for and get out. Lock the car with the actual key. (Note: it will only lock the drivers door, that's why you have to lock all doors from inside).

Go what you need to do and come back to a nice and cool car.

On a side note, it will NOT illuminate the yellow light on the front. I checked and it was off!

CJC and electriceddy like this.
  9. Kitsilano

Kitsilano Active Member

"Yellow light on the front"?? I'm in the dark about this. Please say more about the yellow light.

10. There's a light on front somewhere, I think in the emblem... anyway, it doesn't surprise me that it didn't turn on for just running the A/C and manually using utility mode; I don't think the light is for that (utility mode), it's for battery saver mode. It only turns on if the small battery is being charged by the big battery.

Kitsilano likes this.
  11. Or when starting the AC remotely. I checked and verified that.

Kitsilano and Mattsburgh like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. eastpole

eastpole Active Member

Sorry to post an image; I didn't find plaintext of this on the web anywhere. The information is from the US Kona EV owner's manual.

The important text says:
    When the Aux. Battery Saver+ function is operating, the indicator lamp in the H-logo located in the front of the vehicle will be illuminated.

14. https://electrek.co/2019/09/23/tesla-owner-cleared-animal-cruelty-charge-dog-mode/

15. CJC

CJC Well-Known Member

Over on another forum, a member printed out big signs saying that his car was in utility/dog mode and plastered them on every window when he left the car with the dog inside. I printed up a bunch too so tape on all my windows. I haven't left them alone in dog mode yet. And summer is over alas. lol. Thanks for posting Ed as dog owners now have a head's up.