Alexa anyone?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Tim66, May 26, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Tim66

Tim66 Active Member

Any of you genius electronic or IT guys working on connecting the Clarity to the Amazon Echo? I've searched the IFTTT platform (https://ifttt.com/) for any applets or services for Honda but no joy. And the Alexa app doesn't have any skills for Honda either. There are many cars that ae Echo ready but it seems Honda is lagging behind. Here's what you can do with the Echo and a Tesla:
    get charge status
    get car status
    get climate status
    get location
    set driver temperature to 72
    set passenger side to 73
    start charging
    stop charging
    honk the horn
    flash lights
    turn climate on
    warm up my car
    cool my car
    turn climate off
    stop climate
    stop heating
    stop cooling
    how warm is my car
    how cold is my car
    dude where's my car
    where's my car
    get ready to take off
    go into hyperdrive
    how far can I drive
    how far can I go
    whats your name
    switch cars
    set charge limit to 85 percent
    start charging to 90 percent
    whats the charge limit
    lock the car
    get air quality
    https://www.amazon.com/Nikhil-Kapur-EV-Car/dp/B01MU8Q80L/ref=sr_1_28?qid=1558886282&s=alexa-skills&sr=1-28

Tim

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Mowcowbell

Mowcowbell Well-Known Member

Dang! Knew I should have looked at Model 3's when I was PHEV shopping.

4. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I wonder how many fewer Teslas would have sold if they lacked those features and how many additional Clarity PHEVs would be sold if the car included those features? To put it another way, how much EV range do those features add? That's the factor most people cite when considering the purchase of a BEV or PHEV.

It will be interesting to see what features Honda's brewed up for their upcoming Europe/Japan-only Honda e to set it apart from the less-expensive BEVs with greater range against which it will be competing for sales.

5. Sandroad

Sandroad Well-Known Member

Hmmm.......using Alexa for non-driving functions from that Tesla list is reasonable (providing privacy and security concerns are acceptable), but I see no utility for driving functions. For example, when I need the horn, I need it NOW, not after I say a command and all the electronic communications hook up to honk it. For driving functions, it seems like it would be much preferable to have the car directly recognize voice commands and not have an Alexa intermediary.

Tim66 and insightman like this.
  6. I suspect honk horn and flash lights are intended to be used from the app on your phone to aid in locating the car in a parking lot ... though if they’re intended to be used while driving, I’d love to see “switch cars” in action.

Sandroad likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. ab13

ab13 Active Member

9. Tim66

Tim66 Active Member

Just to be clear, I didn't use the Tesla features as some kind of benchmark for the Clarity vs Tesla. I only used them because it was the only car I found with the features mentioned. IMO voice commands regarding the non driving features would be better and faster than working your way through Hondalink.

insightman likes this.