Mountain Driving: HV or EV

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Douglas Firs, May 24, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. The Gadgeteer

The Gadgeteer Active Member

It is my understanding in HV mode there are conditions where it will also sap some power to send to the battery if the SOC falls too far below the HV mode set point.

I don’t have any real issues even with 0 EV range. The engine starts and runs as needed and higher revs do not scare me. I used to ride mini bike motorcycles so small engines working hard is not big deal to me. The car is smart enough to stay within limits. Granted my car is still low miles and hill climbs haven’t been super duper steep. My approach to zippy small Pocono mountain climbs (the Pocono Mountains are not really “mountains”) has been to let the car use whatever battery is left and encourage the engine to start through heavy accelerator application which is helped psychologically with Sport mode’s remapping of the pedal. Since this is outside my electric range anyway when I make those trips engine use is unavoidable so I might as well have it run when it is most useful. Almost forgot...cabin heat off during climb. AC doesn’t seem to have much impact.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. stacey burke

stacey burke Active Member

I live in Colorado and travel the mountains a lot. I put into sport HV from the time I leave home to the time I get into the city. No power problems and it runs 70 to 75 the entire route. I have tried it in EV and it just lasts a few miles and then switches over to HV without as much power because it can not use the EV with the gas at that point. ANY time I know my trip will be more than my EV range I use HV from the beginning.

Tomrl, HagerHedgie and KentuckyKen like this.
  4. Does anyone know how many horsepower the traction motor can produce if the battery isn't contributing at all? Normally it gets 121HP from the battery and the motor/generator can boost that to its full potential of 181HP ... but can the motor/generator provide more than 60HP if the battery isn't pulling its weight?

5. sniwallof

sniwallof Active Member

Start by reading through this most informative thread: https://insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/how-can-the-clarity-plug-in-hybrid-produce-212-hp.2110/

6. sniwallof likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. sniwallof

sniwallof Active Member

I did not know, I did not mean go find the answer, I was trying to remember where I saw some good info that might be interesting. But, here is a better thread: "driving on a depleted battery" https://insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/driving-on-a-depleted-battery.3647/#post-35567

Mostly, it is best guesses, Honda does not publish much beyond those power curves in many of the posts. You can see there is a lot of well informed speculation, but no one (as of yet) seems to definitively "know" these answers. Anyway, sorry if I came across as snitty :)

9. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Honda rates the ICE at 103 hp, but they have not revealed how much power the starter motor/generator can generate.

I started what turned into a looong thread in a quest to learn how the Clarity can achieve Honda's specified 212 hp. I didn't read any definitive answers to my question in that thread. If you simply add the 181-hp motor and the 103-hp ICE, you get 284 hp. Because Honda claims only 212 hp, not 284 hp, their method must take into account the fact that the power peaks don't match up to be simply additive. I doubt the discrepancy is due to losses in the system.

Some people speculated that the 181-hp can soar to 212-hp for a few seconds when maximum acceleration is demanded. This would argue for a starter motor/generator that CAN generate more than 60 hp. Honda remains mum.

The Clarity has 3 basic underlying drive modes: EV drive (battery only driving the traction motor), Hybrid drive (battery power + ICE-generated power driving the traction motor), and Engine drive (when the clutch engages to enable the ICE to drive the wheels through a 1-speed gearbox). As we can see on the dashboard, the battery can still contribute power in Engine drive mode. If the Clarity can achieve 121 hp in EV drive mode and 181 hp in Hybrid drive mode, is Honda's specified 212 hp achieved in Engine drive mode? If the 103-hp ICE can generate a maximum of 60 hp of electricity, can Engine drive mode send some of the 43 leftover horsepower through the clutch to the wheels? Does Engine drive mode send 31 hp to the wheels to make the total 212 hp?

Then there's real-world experience butting in. If you're driving your Clarity PHEV in Engine drive mode ("gear mode" some call it based on the gear icon that indicates Engine drive mode is in effect), the car feels anything but powerful because unless you're using the cruise control, you're carefully feathering the accelerator to stay within the narrow window of Engine-drive compliance.
    If you then floor the accelerator, you don't shoot forward with the power of 212 horses. Instead, the Clarity drops Engine drive mode like a hot potato and accelerates in Hybrid drive mode, which supposedly provides a maximum if 181 horsepower.

Then there are people who say they don't feel a lack of power going up mountains with a depleted battery. That experience would argue for a starter motor/generator that can produce more than 60 hp worth of electricity to drive the traction motor. The mystery continues.

sniwallof and David Towle like this.
  10. I did take it as snitty, but as is often the case, that was a reflection of my mood instead of your intention. Thank you for taking the time to reach back out and for the additional information. I apologize that I wasn’t more generous in my read of your initial response.

11. I guess that’s the million dollar question. I haven’t run into a situation yet where I don’t have the power I think I need, but the experience of others makes me nervous. Thanks for the information.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Could it be that there is more instant torque using EV (battery only power supply) vs. HV (battery + generator)? It sounds like from those other threads torque is more important for acceleration, at least at lower speeds. If EV does have more available torque in the 35-40mph range I've been driving on hills, that's why it's zippier. And/or maybe HV is capable of providing a similar amount of torque under those conditions, but only if you really gun it. So it *feels* like EV is zippier because you don't have to accelerate as hard. That would fit with the experience of Sport vs. non-sport modes, i.e. the trigger points for getting oomph are just altered. Food for thought.

MarkClarity likes this.
  14. insightman

When you consider that the same traction motor is driving the wheels in either situation, I don't see how the increased power added by the ICE-powered starter motor/generator could result in decreased performance.

15. It's not the fact that the traction motor is driving in both scenarios. It's the fact that the energy sources are potentially different based on EV vs. HV. Ie. battery-only vs. battery + generator (which is fuel by ICE.), which could produce different horsepower/torque under the same circumstances. We don't know the algorithm (unless someone has a diagram I am missing...)

16. Kind of related, yesterday our mostly slumbering bees awoke with a vengeance.

The conditions were a bit extreme. We were climbing from Tellico Plains, TN (980’ msl) to the high point on the Cherohala Skyway in NC (about 5,330’ msl) in roughly 30 miles. I had gone to HV mode with 14 EV miles remaining. Anyway, the engine did race at times, a bit more than we’ve ever heard before. Not horrible, and turning up the radio a bit kinda put it in the background.

As an aside, the EV range dropped as low as 6 miles during the climb. In spite of turning the car off and back on a handful of times, back in Tellico Plains we had fully recovered the EV miles plus 1, showing 15 EV miles remaining.

17. insightman

So do you think it's possible the battery provides less power when the ICE is also providing power?

18. I think the issue is that we don’t know how much total energy the algorithm is telling the car to draw when in HV mode and how that compares to what the algorithm tells the car to draw when in EV mode, at the same trigger point. There’s also a possibility that there is a slight lag in power, initially, with ICE during acceleration compared with EV. Like very very small lag (10ths of a second) that could still be perceptible as “sluggish” compared with EV under some circumstances. And/or my other theory which is that it’s all in my head.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

19. ClarityBill

ClarityBill Active Member

"Turning the car off and back on a handful of times" - Does that mean you toggled the HV?

Did you use HV Charge mode to recover the EV plus 1?

20. No. Just stopped to sightsee and get snacks. Right back into HV (and SPORT) after each restart.

Nope.

21. David Towle

David Towle Well-Known Member

Or does it just FEEL like there's more torque because the EV alone is so quiet and seamless?

HagerHedgie likes this.
  22. insightman

I just cannot imagine any reason Honda's engineers would not unleash all the power available when the accelerator is floored. That's what cars are supposed to do. "Your honor, my client could have gotten around that lowered gate and cleared the crossing before the train hit him if only his Clarity hadn't become sluggish as it was trying to manage the HV 'set-point' to maximize fuel efficiency."

thecompdude likes this.
  23. HagerHedgie

HagerHedgie Member

The car is mysterious. I have noticed the gear engage after flooring it. I’m pretty sure that’s how you get to 212. It probably only happens during a certain speed range.
    I have also noticed power loss but only with a Depleted battery and low temperatures at the end of an aggressive climb up a 4 mile hill at about 6% grade. There were no beeps or anything but I noticed the power meter going down when my foot wasn’t moving.